FDM Group FDM Mountie Reviews

Updated 6 Apr 2021

2.8
FDM Group CEO, Founder, and Director Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell

"Great career progression and the opportunity to work abroad!"

4.0
    Current Employee - FDM Mountie in London, England, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

International Opportunities Fast career progression Exposure to blue chip companies No commercial experience needed to apply

Cons

The training is unpaid, but the pro's out-weigh the con's. If you can afford to support yourself financially through the training up until you are placed then it is well worth doing!!

2. "Good stepping stone"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - FDM Mountie in Glasgow, Scotland, Scotland

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

get your foot in the door to some big companies

Cons

have to move to whatever site you get placed at, Locked in for 2 years, Minimum holiday allowance if you are placed at a job you dont like you cant just up and leave

3. "FDM consultant"

Former Contractor - FDM Mountie in London, England, England

I worked at FDM Group

Pros

decent training offered at their academy

Cons

they really think you are naive

"Decent Entry into corporate tech for those without prior experience"

Current Employee - FDM Mountie

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

Good Entry into Tech work

Cons

low payment and 2 year contract

"Like having teeth pulled"

2.0
    Current Employee - FDM Mountie in Brighton, England, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

They guarantee you a job in a respectable institute For two years they will find you work They are essentially an agency so should you lose your job they find you another but the upside is they pay you while you're in their offices doing some 'training'

Cons

You are a product, they will not help you with career development in any way shape or form They pay half the industry standard They value 'training' at £20,000 however very few courses are trainer led, the Excel VBA course is an abridged version of Excel for Dummies They tell you salaries after the 2nd year will double but they come in at a lower rate than they promised when first trying to ensnare you, again under industry standard.

"Untrustworthy"

Former Employee - FDM Mountie in London, England, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Low bar to acceptance Central Location A qualification at the end of 'training' Possibility that temporary placement could lead to a permanent position

Cons

Far from certain to get a placement - despite initial promises when you first contact them/they contact you No guarantee - if you do get a placement - of the quality of the job Pay very poor - You sign away at least 2 and a half years sometimes 3 for total pay of less than 45k over your stay. You have to relocate ( sometimes more than once ) and try to live on this At the end of your 2 years work with FDM - you cannot approach any of their 'clients' looking to get a job ( unless you want to pay FDM a hefty fee ) Ultimately the whole scheme is set up to take and exploit as much as possible from people

Continue reading

"You have no control of what happens once you sign the £20,000 contract"

FDM Mountie in London, England, England

I have been working at FDM Group for more than a year

Pros

You might get a temp placement with a credible company doing something that you want to do which might add to your resume

Cons

You might train (yourself) for 6-9 months and get no placement - this is not uncommon You might train for 6-9 months and get a temp placement doing something you don't want to do - I repeat you have no control once you are at FDM. THe £20,000 serves to keep you doing exactly what you are told regardless of whether it is in your best interests Some of the placements are a joke - doing crap jobs for crap companies No career advancement Phoney synthetic smiley environment

Continue reading

"Provides you with opportunities but not a guaranteed job."

Former Employee - FDM Mountie in London, England, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Adequate training with competent trainers (for dev streams at least). Opportunities to work abroad if you prove competent. Guaranteed Interviews with top companies if you display promise.

Cons

Training is sink or swim, if you don't keep up you will quickly get left behind. Whether you get a job is based on how competent you are at both your discipline and interview techniques. You are "FDM's product" and it certainly feels like it. Salary could be better.

Continue reading

"Low morale, poor training, no communication"

Current Employee - FDM Mountie in London, England, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Good to be taken seriously as a woman in IT *London office is nice, and good location

Cons

Looking at other reviews, I'm afraid I can't really add much new to the mix *Low morale - general sense of unease in the London office that opportunities are few. This could just be due to trading conditions *Poor level of training - I did not expect to have such little instructor feedback *No communication - It's hard to know what's really going on, except for the inspirational speech at the party, which makes me wonder if the management are talking about the same company. *Dismissals - what's the point in being the largest IT graduate recruiter if half of people 'leave by mutual agreement' or get sacked?

"Train yourself, then get paid very little."

Current Contractor - FDM Mountie in London, England, England

I have been working at FDM Group for less than a year

Pros

Guaranteed job if you're going to put the work in and prep for interviews

Cons

Training is almost unassisted, it's basically sitting in a big room, and we're all teaching ourselves from online material. I was lead to believe that the training would be more instructor based. Finding out the rates that are charged for our services to companies was a big shock, I think it's very unethical for the company to make so much money, pay us so little, and not pay us anything at all during the training. Overall very disappointed with the reality of the role, when I was so excited at the offer stage. Research online first, and think carefully before committing.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews