FDM Group IT Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic Opportunity"

Current Employee - IT Consultant

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training, awesome opportunity, everything a grad can dream about

Cons

Nothing much to say, I am satisfied

FDM Group2019-05-28
  2. "Life Changer"

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the Training is fun, you get to know people like you, hungry to learn and get a real life job, you get training in soft skills which in my opinion the most useful training i have got, teaches you how to talk, send emails, present, as silly as it sounds it was extremely helpful and made me look like an experienced professional from the start of my placement. The security after you get the job, when things were... uncertain at my placement, I was not worried I knew that whenever that placement ends I will still get paid (a slightly lower pay but still reasonable) until I get the next placement. and of course FDM parties! (will let you see that for yourself)

Cons

nothing major, there are 28 days including bank holidays entitlement per year, 3 of them at the end of the year which are holidays by default, i would have like to be free to have them any time of the year instead. but none the less i was there to work hard more than anything so didn't affect me much.

Advice to Management

I know many hard working people that would love a kick start to their career, but they have families and can't relocate, or their expenses are too critical to spend a few weeks without income, special cases consideration might bring even more talent into FDM!

FDM Group2019-09-12
  3. "Great for getting your foot in the door in the industry. Nothing else."

Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great for getting expoure to work in large IT and Financial institutions.

Cons

"Training" is very minimal and does not accurately represent how much they say it is worth. (I would have had to pay 17.5k for 8 weeks of classes if I left the consultancy before my 2 year contract ended). The quality of training can vary, but my experience was that it was very basic, and something you can easily research yourself online. The only part of training that were useful was the 1 week of SQL, which in... itself is not enough. The company does not provide a hospitable environment that would make you want to stay longer than 2 years. For example they are very stringent with holidays and sick pay. They don't pay sick pay until after 6 month of your first placement starting. They do not allow to buy/sell holiday even if the client you are working has signed it off. They also provide very little support once placed with a client. FDM runs very effectively with a great business model for its shareholders but it is essentially a graduate factory. They charge their clients over double the value which they pay their consultants and therefore you have to be willing to stay for 2 years for the exposure to their clients.

Advice to Management

Improve the training or reduce the cost of leaving early.

FDM Group2019-11-17
  4. "Good opportunity to get on the professional ladder"

Former Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good opportunity provided to get yourself onto the professional ladder Networking events / Corporate Social Awareness support

Cons

Internal training whilst onsite is limited No contact in general from FDM whilst on site Your salary hits a ceiling post year 3 Regionally flexible is a requirement

Advice to Management

Discussion to plan career development would be recommended

FDM Group2019-10-14
  5. "You will get out of it what you put in."

Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I completed the back to business stream and have achieved a number of industry standard qualifications from it. The course is far from easy but if you focus and get yourself organised it is very doable. I had been out of the IT industry for 6 years, having my CV go into a black whole took it's toll on my self esteem. By the end of this course I realised I had not forgotten everything, that my drive was still there,... I was capable and had something to contribute. This alone is invaluable in helping with the next stage of getting a placement. You are given interview practice and get feedback from the companies you interview with, this is something I didn't get in previous interviews and it was useful in honing my answers and improving my interview technique. I got a placement after my third interview and 90% of my cohort have placements after we completed our training, all with high profile companies. You will get out of it what you put in, be clear what you want but flexible in what you accept and treat it as a stepping stone to get to where you want to. Build that CV, network and make connections.

Cons

Paperwork! I have never worked with a company that had so many documents and required me to print out so much to sign to start training and then again to start placement. FDM have not embraced the paperless office and the procedures feel inefficient and cumbersome. The procedure to update and release improved training docs was so onerous that it appeared to prevent this from happening. Procedures that hinder rather... than support work can lead to frustration, low morale and motivation amongst staff. Despite being a tech company investment in the IT infrastructure is long overdue with software that is about to be unsupported (windows 7).

Advice to Management

Invest in the technology infrastructure, improve working procedures to make them more efficient and effective utilising the new technology. Reduce the amount of paperwork on joining, please!

FDM Group2019-08-23
  6. "An Okay Job"

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a good foot in the door for me to start my career in IT given that my degree was not in IT. Being able to work in a corporate environment enabled me to develop professionally.

Cons

The amount of holidays we get is not enough!

Advice to Management

To reach out to consultants more and have transparent communication

FDM Group2019-09-01
  7. "Great for starting out"

Current Contractor - IT Consultant in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group for more than a year

Pros

I went into retail after University as I struggled to find graduate jobs. FDM was an excellent way to gain new skills and experience.

Cons

The pay isn't excellent, however as a starting salary it's fine.

FDM Group2019-08-06
  8. "Poor training, but I got a job at least"

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Leeds, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I got two years experience with a good tech company, and I now work there full-time. I was struggling to get interviews before.

Cons

The training was very low quality. I learnt very little from it, apart from better interview techniques, but I was struggling to sell myself to employers before I joined FDM. The contract terms are very harsh

FDM Group2019-08-17

"Avoid if you can"

Former Employee - IT Consultant

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

had fun at the training academy

Cons

UNPAID Training is basic - not relevant to the job they put me in (which was actually not much to do with what I trained in). Also you teach yourself a lot of the stuff (definitely not worth £20k). You are trapped for two whole years - if you get a placement you do not enjoy/do not get trained in, you cannot ask for help because 1. they will not reply and 2. they could send you to some other random place in the... UK. You have to take the placement you get offered, you get absolutely no choice in the matter. Seen someone try to refuse to go down to London and take a job offer he received in Edinburgh/Glasgow - flung out of the academy and I am sure he has to pay back 20k of training. (I have absolutely no idea where they get that figure from lol). False advertising - they go on and on and on about how you will get paid double your salary or at least 35k once you are kept on site - not even close in my case, yaay a waste of two years!!! They do not care about you AT ALL once you are on site. 20 month review - what 20 month review?? E-mailed HR several times to try and get my 20 month review and never once received a reply, despite being named as a 'mental health first aider' - as an anxious person this is an actual joke. They say that they have "equal pay" etc but ex forces get paid more than graduates. I do the exact same job and get paid less, makes you feel pretty worthless. Pay isn't good, especially compared to other people who have my degree. I honestly feel like they prey on people who are anxious/nervous about starting out and going to interviews etc and just use them for two years to line their own pockets. I really wish I never got the job with them as it has completely wasted the first two years of my career - thank you FDM.

Advice to Management

Stop caring about how you look in the news/online and actually start caring about your employees. Pay at least min wage for training - the company is worth so much money but you cant afford to help people get by? Pay everyone the same - why should someone with more relevant qualifications, doing the exact same job be paid less?

FDM Group2019-08-30
  10. "Good option if you are flexible and looking for learning opportunities"

Former Employee - IT Consultant

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

If someone does not have the educational or professional experience to work in IT this offers a great opportunity to learn and get a foot in the door. As long as you are geographically flexible and understand the business you are getting into then it can work.

Cons

Sometimes can make it seem as if it is a free for all when jobs come up. If you are not geographically flexible you may find it difficult. There is no guarantee of the location of a placement.

FDM Group2019-08-06