FDM Group Reviews

Updated 23 May 2020

3.2
FDM Group CEO, Founder, and Director Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell
  1. "A great way to start a new career"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Leeds, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great way to get into companies that you wouldn’t normally have a chance of working for.

Cons

They put you out on site and will only contact if something goes wrong.

FDM Group2020-01-03

"Horrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in London, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time

Pros

Free coffee and tea from vending machines.

Cons

As soon as you start your training you get told day by day the lies or “marketing strategy” the call them regarding payment and opportunities. You are not valued as an employee, and have incompetent staff teaching. You are told there are numerous opportunities and account managers will be in contact with you as soon as you start your training, when in reality you are not contacted until you have completed your training (which can take up to 14 weeks, unpaid). Account managers are rude and are not interested in you at all until an opportunity arises. I was pushed onto a technical stream after their business stream was full. I then realised the technical stream was not for me and was told I was going to be charged 15-18K pounds if I decided to leave the company. If you ever sign the contract and stay after the two week probation period you are tied to the company for two years with no easy way out. I managed to leave the company by involving lawyers, which is where FDM decided to stand down on charging me 15-18K pounds. Horrible atmosphere to work at, numerous individuals who are in very similar situation where they want to leave but have to be “benched” for 90 days unpaid (after 14 weeks of unpaid training) for FDM to allow you to leave free of charge.

FDM Group2020-01-29

"Good access to high profile clients"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training and access to clients

Cons

Low salary and initial benefits due to model

FDM Group2019-12-17

"Good stepping stone/training to progress your careen further"

5.0
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great list of clients Great trainers And great training

Cons

Sometimes there are not many client opportunities but if you are persistent you will get opportunities

FDM Group2019-12-13
  5. "Returners Program"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great returners program for preparing those out of the workplace to get back into it. Great client list!

Cons

A little under supported once on clients site

FDM Group2019-12-19
  6. "Some good but mainly bad"

Current Employee - Business Consultant

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Firstly, the training for the basic professional skills is great however these could be easily learnt via youtube videos or independently. It also very much depends on your style of professionalism, whether you are very formal or prefer to keep a more relaxed tone in your professionalism. Secondly, there is some assistance for mental health issues. One downside I had to this was it came into play once I had been signed off sick for a number of weeks from stress and depression. There is at least one very kind HR Business Partner and Account Manager but these were the exception to the rule. Thirdly, it is a great way for graduates or ex-forces to move into a professional role.

Cons

Firstly, the training has ceased to provide a professional qualification to new trainees. This means that the training received is significantly less desirable. The training process is tough but the behaviour of some account managers throughout presentations is stunningly abysmal. Secondly, you will not get paid until your first placement. You have to stay after your training for up to 90 days without pay. This means you could end up not being paid for around 24 weeks. This is insane. My finances still haven't recovered. Thirdly, you will be placed anywhere in the UK (or abroad if you say yes once). The lie that was sold to me was "90% of consultants trained in Scotland get placed in Scotland, 90% of consultants trained in Leeds get placed in the North, and 90% of consultants trained in London get placed in London". This was a lie. The truth is 100% of consultants will be placed wherever there is a job that needs filling. Fourthly, there is no such thing as free will within FDM. Once you sign the dotted line, you've sold your soul to the devil. You have no choice where you will be placed, how long you will be placed, or what company you will be placed with. When you end up in a role that isn't suited to you, you will not have the option of moving. You will be told to stick it out until the end of you contract...which will then be extended...multiple times. Fifthly, a common gripe all FDMers have is that the pay is low and the benefits are minimal. The pay is crazy low. To pay as minimal as possible but charge you out at an extortion rate is unethical. There could be some forgiveness on the pay if there were more that 17 days holiday that you can choose when to take (you do get 20 but 3 of these are used at Christmas as prescribed by FDM). Finally, the disparity between the streams is unacceptable. Where the advanced ex-forces consultants receive three professional qualifications, graduates receive one at best. Throughout training, graduates can claim travel expenses, ex-military get food and travel. Where all graduates are immediately on full geo-flex, ex-forces and back to business have limited geo-flex as standard.

FDM Group2020-01-22

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Leeds, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Team is young Central location and modern offices

Cons

recruitment manager(s) are not very good at their job (hence the very high staff turnover) Very basic salary and basic commission structure Selling a programme that no one wants to do Unrealistic targets Hostile atmosphere at times

FDM Group2020-01-15

"Limited Opportunities and Bad Company"

Former Employee - Consultatnt
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meeting fellow trainees and practice interviews

Cons

Limited opportunities for trainees. Poor treatment of consultants and bad management. Expect trainees to take jobs and relocate with less than a weeks notice in a different country. No guarantees when accepting a placement with a client that it might fall through last minute.

FDM Group2020-01-13
  9. "Fdm Trainee"

Current Employee - Trainee in Leeds, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training Gain industry relevant skills Foot through the door of big companies like Sky, Credit Suisse, etc.

Cons

No pay, but there is travel bursary

FDM Group2019-12-09
  10. "Good for gaining experience"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good to get your foot through the door

Cons

Salary is not reflective of the industry expectations

FDM Group2019-12-14