FDM Group Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 3 Dec 2019

3.6
FDM Group CEO Rod Flavell
Rod Flavell
  1. "Amazing placement experience"

Current Intern - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at FDM Group for more than a year

Pros

Excellent overview of the IT Industry. Improvement of both - technical and professional skills. Amazing team that will support you through any issue that you might face.

Cons

No real downsides to the placement. A few more holidays would have been beneficial.

Advice to Management

N/a

FDM Group2019-07-09
  2. "Good training so far"

Current Employee - Trainee Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of useful skills gained, including business skills that you don't necessarily learn at university

Cons

Not great for people travelling from afar, rent costs can be pretty tough.

FDM Group2019-09-14
  3. "Average at Best.."

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have great clients, all over the country and even abroad, with academies in London, Manchester, Glasgow, Australia, USA, and a few others. They help to train you up into a competent developer. They help you to get a contract at a company and the account manager checks in on you to make sure that you are having a good experience at the company. They do reimburse you for travel weekly.

Cons

1) If going for a developer position, and you dont have a technical background, chances are you will become a tester... not a software developer 2) if you are not having a good experience on site, account managers want you to stay on site, rather than help you find a different place which may be better suited for you, as there are financial consequences if the contract is broken 3) pretty much 0 employee benefits,... other than the chirstmas party, and online learning tools 4) 21 days off, which is fewer than most places, and you cannot buy extra holiday days 5) if you decide to leave after their training ( which they value at £20,000) , you have to PAY THEM BACK £20,000 in turn! 6) if you see opportunities that may be available, the account manager in charge can deny you the opportunity to apply for the role. 7) all the training that they do is entirely UNPAID

Advice to Management

1) get rid of the £20000 fee, and you will attract more people 2) If you do not like your placement for whatever reason, help the FDMer to find a new contract where they will be happy, rather than making them stay at a place they dont like and are miserable

FDM Group2019-09-14

"Good teaching, poor management"

Former Employee - Junior Software Developer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Was taught well, learnt programming skills to a decent standard.

Cons

Wages are extremely low, expected to move anywhere in the country if they find you a job & account managers will try to push you into jobs that you have no interest in to get their commission.

FDM Group2019-07-30
  5. "Okay, but not so great"

Former Employee - Graduate Software Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Extensive training, 5 weeks Flexible training

Cons

Long Contract Have to Travel Not great, or favourite

FDM Group2019-07-31

"Better than reviews suggest"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Have to say that my experience has been wholly positive. Trainers are friendly and helpful. Nice culture around the office and other trainees are only too happy to help too. For someone not from an IT background this is a great foot in the door of big companies and can really set you on your way if you are willing to work hard. I was a bit apprehensive after reading reviews but after experiencing it I can’t say I... have a bad word to say and I have had a great experience.

Cons

Not paid for training period and have to repay fees if you leave within 2 years, however they are up front and transparent about this so you should have no complaints if you choose to ignore this.

Advice to Management

Get better coffee in the machines.

FDM Group2019-06-24

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at FDM Group full-time

Pros

Free coffee, other than that - nothing!

Cons

Everything! - They only care about money

FDM Group2019-07-10

"If you are willing to train for two months with no guarantee of a contract.might have to relocate every 4-6 months"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Provide training and are willing to accept graduates from different academic backgrounds

Cons

It is pretty difficult to train in a company for two months with no pay, by the time you lose motivation and your training my speed down. Plus there is no guarantee to get employed by one of the company's clients. finally, if you do not pass all the courses, they will let you leave, so you basically wasted two months.

Advice to Management

Please think about your employees, not the teachers, but the graduates you are employing.

FDM Group2019-07-01
  9. "If you have no other options and want to break into a job role fdm offers a learning stream on, give the dice a roll"

Former Contractor - Software Developer in London, England

I worked at FDM Group for more than a year

Pros

Established relationships with big companies 14 week training programme (for java devs) Structured learning environment with others of similar skill levels Teachers were good/helpful Travel costs to training centre reimbursed

Cons

Training cost of £20,000 used as a means to coerce you into taking opportunities, as if you don't your contract is terminated and you are expected to pay that fee up front instead of over a 2 year period. Pay during 2 year placement period (especially in London) is poor. £21,000 for year 1 and roughly £27,000 for year 2. Once you're on client site you're left on your own largely, I was only contacted around... contract renewal time. Sometimes it was after the renewal window had passed to confirm I was extended (my placement site would let me know weeks in advance). Not paid during the training period of approximately 3 months. Better hope you live near a training centre or love working weekend jobs whilst living at home. If the job climate wasn't terrible this business model wouldn't even exist. You are expected to be geographically flexible, so you may have to move to where your job opportunity is (will be limited to same country but still)

Advice to Management

Drop the coercion tactics or charge an amount closer to the real value of training provided. Pay a livable wage (in London at least, can't comment for outside London).

FDM Group2019-04-11
  10. "software"

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

very good people to be around

Cons

not that i can think of

FDM Group2019-01-14