FDM Group Test Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Rod Flavell

"Test Anlyst"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good opportunities for career growth.

Cons

Prefer to be able to settle rather than contracting.

FDM Group2018-03-21
  2. "Experience"

Former Employee - Test Analyst
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good opportunity to kick-start your career

Cons

They care about how much they make off you than they care about you

FDM Group2019-05-13

"FDM Review"

Current Contractor - Test Analyst in Leeds, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at FDM Group for more than a year

Pros

1. 2 years industry experience. 2. The pay is more than minimum wage. 3. Fairly adequate training. 4. You have the opportunity to be placed with some fairly reputable clients

Cons

1. Contract: Mandatory 2 year contract with an unrealistic fine if you back out. 2. Geo-flexibility: This was actually emphasised up front as part of the job, but the reality can take a toll on your personal life. 3. Lack of transparency on opportunities: I've talked to a lot of consultants who have been put up for interview for developer roles that have turned out to be support or testing roles. 4. Support: I... experienced very little support while on site. 5. Contracting: People on site often know how much their business is paying for you, this can cause resentment.

Advice to Management

Work on transparency to the client as well as the consultant. Lower the training fees to something more realistic, an actual coding boot camp costs around £7000 and even with the additional training you can't expect it to value anything over £10k

FDM Group2019-01-24

"Take some serious thought before signing up"

Current Employee - Software Test Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Footstep into IT, Business or Project Management positions within large companies.

Cons

- If you train in Scotland/Leeds/London, no guarantee that their will be a position near where you train at the end of your course. - Threaten with legal action if you decide to leave after 2 weeks and before 2 years. - Traning Agreement costs £20,000 but if you were to do training elsewhere you wouldn't be anywhere near this. - HR & Consultant Support are most difficult people to get hold of and a... reply from if you have any issues that you need to sort out.

Advice to Management

Improve support to consultants.

FDM Group2018-10-27

"Con's outweigh Pro's"

Former Employee - Test Analyst
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Acceess to jobs with companies that may be generally out of reach for graduates. Is a good gateway company into the industry.

Cons

Have to be geographically flexible for first two years, family situations do not seem to matter. The account managers offer great support to the consultants while they are in the academy, however once you are on-site they begin to ignore you. Generally not responsive to emails. Threaten you with fines of up to £20K if you want to leave within first two years.

Advice to Management

Remove the requirement to be geographically flexible. If a consultant is unwilling to move to a location they should be listened to. Give the consultants a reason to move, where they will be more willing to relocate, rather than just telling them they have to move.

FDM Group2018-10-03

"A good foot in the door, but expect to stub your toe"

Current Employee - Software Test Analyst in Bristol, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great opportunity to enter an otherwise quite opaque IT industry. FDM holds corporate relations with some extremely prestigious clients across multiple industries. The training and the 2 year trainee program that FDM offers will set you up with the experience needed to forge a good career in the IT industry. The trainers and staff at the Leeds academy are very friendly and knowledgeable, and help to inspire... confidence in all of it's trainees.

Cons

My experience is that as a whole, the way FDM treats it's employees is cold and clinical. Make no mistake - to FDM you are a resource more than you are an employee. As a trainee (under 2 years experience) at FDM, you must be geo-flexible, meaning that FDM may send you anywhere in the country. In my experience, FDM do not take into account the preferences of it's employees when deciding this. Speaking from... personal experience, it is possible for an employee to lose thousands of pounds in relocation costs when changing placements, as the notice periods given are often laughably short, leading to overlapping housing contracts and such like. FDM do provide some assistance towards this, but in the short term consultants can unexpectedly find themselves very short on money. The holiday allowance provided is the absolute bare minimum required by law - FDM employees are only entitled to 20 days of bookable holiday plus bank holidays, which they are not paid their full working day rate for. Sick pay is not provided for your first 6 months with FDM, and even as an employee with nearly 2 years of experience I am only entitled to 4 days per year without incurring a pay reduction. The pension scheme used by FDM is not very generous in my opinion - were I to stay with FDM long-term, I would definitely set up a personal pension to compensate for this.

Advice to Management

Work on making your employees want to stay with FDM. Out of all the consultants I've met during training, out on placements, in the beach, and at social events, I have not yet met one that is pro-FDM.

FDM Group2017-08-22

"FDM got me where I wanted to be"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Manchester, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For a new graduate like myself I did not have a hope of getting a job in the IT sector without experience FDM gave me that experience and, to be completely honest, I have loved my time with them. Heck, I've just signed up for year 3! If you need a kickstart for your career then look no further

Cons

Having to be geographically flexible is a pita however I was beached (between contracts) for a couple of months after Xmas and whilst they still do expect that we be flexible they will endeavour to place you according to preference after a little time served. Sick pay....oh wait no they now do pay sick pay :)

Advice to Management

Please have the account managers be a little more diligent with feedback post interview. I had 4 or 5 interviews prior to being placed the second time and not one gave me any feedback. Also when placing staff in London please prioritise those living in London ahead of the rest of the country, it costs a lot to move to/live in London it's better that someone who is already there takes the role Keep up the great... work guys!

FDM Group2017-06-27

"Good company to start at and gain experience"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Poole, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get placed with a client quickly. You get good basic training which will get you through basic tasks at client sites.

Cons

No support once on client site financially or professionally. You might end up trying to survive on minimum wage. If you are ill or unable to work you only get SSP which equates to nothing when you are already on a low wage. No feedback or progression planned within the company. Transitioning to full time with client is very difficult and FDM don't help in the process.

Advice to Management

Staff aren't just money making tools. If we supported staff and increase salaries there will be a higher retention rate after 2 years

FDM Group2017-06-13
  9. "Good for graduates that don't have a very technical degree"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in London, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for graduates that don't have a very technical degree and are trying to get their foot in the door to an IT job.

Cons

You have no say on the location that you will be placed at - if a company in Stoke wants to hire you, then you are going to Stoke.

Advice to Management

Sick pay within the first two years would be nice. Be more clear that people don't actually have a say in the location that they are placed at.

FDM Group2016-10-06

"Good experience"

Test Analyst in London, England

I worked at FDM Group for more than 3 years

Pros

Get a variety of experience in top companies

Cons

Can be pressured into moving around the UK

FDM Group2016-06-29