FDM Group Trainee Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Rod Flavell

"Good Idea"

Current Employee - Trainee in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Solves the catch 22 of education/experience. Their clients are at global stand. Really very impressive!

Cons

little financial support (living expenses) through lengthy training

Advice to Management

For the amount of money made from placement, there is plenty of space for a little more financial aid to the trainees whilst still recouping investment from academy.

FDM Group2019-03-27
  2. "Fdm Trainee"

Current Employee - Trainee in Leeds, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training Gain industry relevant skills Foot through the door of big companies like Sky, Credit Suisse, etc.

Cons

No pay, but there is travel bursary

FDM Group2019-12-09
  3. "If you don't like the corporate world this isn't for you"

Former Intern - Trainee in Leeds, England

I worked at FDM Group for less than a year

Pros

A good insight into the corporate world

Cons

You have very little say in where are a placed.

FDM Group2019-11-11
  4. "Trainee RRC Stream"

Former Contractor - Trainee

I worked at FDM Group

Pros

You get paid your expenses and get free coffee.

Cons

Every 2 weeks the company takes in many more students into their Streams while the old signed-off trainees (students) are sitting in the pond idling away month by month.

FDM Group2019-11-04

"Poor training and Lack of Opportunities"

Current Employee - Trainee Consultant

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training doesn't look bad on your CV, and the trainers do provide sound advise on improving your CV.

Cons

The training can be found online and often for free. The trainers don't necessarily train you...you're often told to read through slides by yourself, have meaningless group tasks set for a 1/3 of the day, or watch videos that are available online and for free. Not exactly what was promised. We were told that hardly anyone went over their 90 day period but this is not the reality. FDM is struggling to post trainees to their clients; Brexit is the excuse, which could be the case. FDM hold charity events regularly and trainees are told to donate to a charity that FDM has selected. Seems like an odd policy to have unpaid trainees donating when FDM is profiting on the back of their desperation to find work. Also there is never any mention of how much FDM donates from its company profits.

Advice to Management

If you won't pay trainees then at least provide them with the opportunity to train at home or take on paid part time employment during the week.

FDM Group2019-11-04

"Limited opportunities and bad treatmenet of employees"

Current Employee - Trainee Consultant

I have been working at FDM Group full-time

Pros

Opportunities (if one of few to get an interview) to get placed with blue-chip companies. Take on varying backgrounds and don't discriminate based on this/ take on those with a 2:2 Opportunity to develop skills that can help you in the workplace (presentation/confidence/IT skills)

Cons

Employees unable to communicate their concerns to newcomers as they get into trouble/damages the company's reputation. Persuaded by recruiters to join and made to seem better than it is Tied by strict contract - unpaid training period for about 2 months and it's sold that you get placed by the end of your training however this has not been the case for a lot of people. You then have to stay with them for another 90 days (still unpaid) while they try to find a place for you. Requirement to be geographically flexible and most likely move down to London (could be a pro if you want this). No support if circumstances change and you no longer want this/can't move which can cause a lot of stress/anxiety. Bad treatment of employees - opinion shared by most people i know that work there, seen more as an object with no freedom/space to choose not to relocate etc even if your circumstances change. You're expected to continue to be proactive and motivated even if you've finished your training, not being paid and might be forced to move to London outside of your will. Pay not great in comparison to similar roles if applying directly as company takes a very large cut.

Advice to Management

Pay trainees in the UK offices as it is very difficult to live for 5 months with no pay/not much time for part time work. Support trainees more in relocating concerns/troubles.

FDM Group2019-11-04
  7. "Good training so far"

Current Employee - Trainee Software Developer in Leeds, England

I have been working at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of useful skills gained, including business skills that you don't necessarily learn at university

Cons

Not great for people travelling from afar, rent costs can be pretty tough.

FDM Group2019-09-14

"Avoid - Company are not honest"

Former Employee - Trainee Business Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at FDM Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Recruitment process seems nice at the time, but they are covering up how the graduate programme is actually run. Able to leave with no strings attached within the first two weeks of training

Cons

This company are not transparent with placement structure - I was informed that I would be interviewing with different clients of my choice and would have a say about where I would be working and the nature of my work, however this is simply not true. They place you anywhere in the UK doing anything at all without consultation with very short notice. Turning down placements or so much as voicing an opinion (or so it seems) is viewed as a serious breach of contract which is a sackable offence and FDM reserve the right to charge £15k for training in this instance.

Advice to Management

Be truthful about the programme and you will get people applying who actually want to be there rather than dropping out in the first two weeks of training.

FDM Group2019-10-04

"Good but risky"

Former Employee - Trainee in London, England

I worked at FDM Group full-time

Pros

Opportunity to learn new technology skills

Cons

If you drop out, you have to pay a lot of fees

FDM Group2019-05-18

"Former Trainee on Software Development Stream"

Former Employee - Trainee Developer

I worked at FDM Group full-time

Pros

Mmm works for some people I guess

Cons

FDM hired me on the basis that my chemical engineering degree would be transferraable. One month into their intense training, they dropped me with no warning due to me failing a couple tests. From my understanding we had three chances to pass. Also they wanted us to learn JAVA in four days, is this possible? Highly unlikely. As it was out of the two week period and as it was their choice, they didn’t charge me with the £20,000 training fee. Honestly after discussions with other trainees, I believe FDM dropped me and others due to their inability to place trainees that are on the earlier streams. They knew the would struggle to place us as well so it was probably easier to remove the dead weight. A waste of my time - they see you as a product to be sold . I ignored the glassdoor reviews at first however i will not be making that mistake again.

Advice to Management

You exploit graduates and it is a shame

FDM Group2019-04-01