Facebook Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

UK - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

4.7

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is pretty tough to maintain (in 227 reviews)

• Can have some busy weeks due to the "move fast" culture (in 58 reviews)

"Amazing company to work for - best learning experience"

Former Employee - Growth Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Growth Manager in London, England

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fantastic management team, really amazing that even with over 20K employees everyone knows the mission of the company and aligns
    - Well compensated compared to industry average and comes with a host of benefits including travel, free food, gym etc
    - People are so smart - always a learning opportunity to be had
    - Fantastic company culture - love how the company sticks to its core, e.g. weekly Q&As with Zuck, openness and transparency in the company strategy

Cons

- Difficult to maintain work-life balance, always on approach
    - Sometimes the lack of resources/processes was a frustration, would result in much more self-admin and sometimes I thought we were very highly paid adminstrators
    - With the need to grow desperation to hire quickly became a burden, meaning the most experienced team members spent a lot of time hiring rather than their core job
    - Upwards progression can be difficult as the nature of the company is quite flat and intentionally non-hierarchical. Means that progression into management and senior roles can be very difficult

Advice to Management

Find ways to promote and develop internal talent - you already have lots of smart leaders-to-be. Don't just focus on bringing in talent from external sources.

2. "Production Engineer"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Working at a scale I didn't even dream of
    - Lots of freedom
    - Opportunity to grow quickly
    - Flexibility to move teams within the company
    - Open culture

Cons

- Work/life balance
    - High expectations

"Too much busy-ness, not enough real deliverables"

Former Employee - Senior IC in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior IC in London, England

I worked at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great physical working environment
    Energy
    Strong aspects of the culture
    Openness of Mark Zuckerburg

Cons

Incorrect understanding and execution of the company values:
    Value: Done is better than perfect - the incorrect interpretation is that done and perfect are mutually exclusive, no-one wants to do anything that is perfect.
    Value: We [managers / leaders] are non-directive - incorrect interpretation is that managers do not need to provide direction, the result is that manager are ineffective and simply try to please employees.
    Value: Make an impact - incorrect interpretation is any impact is a good impact, the actual impact of this is that there is little significant impact.

The company has many conflicting ways of working, for example the short term review process and the want and need to take risks and innovate. The result is that employees do not want to take long term risks as they will be penalised in their next review.

There is a PIP (personal improvement plan) process to help those underachieving to get back on track. This is only effective at removing people from the company and during new manager training (FME) managers are informed that most people (>80%) that are placed on a PIP leave the company. At the same time the company prides itself on the ability of employees to have tough conversations (Crucial Conversations is a class employees are encouraged to attend) yet no-one has these tough conversations. There is a reliance on processes such as the PIP process to remove people from the company rather than having direct conversations.

Advice to Management

Start again with managers. The role of a manager is ineffective due to a belief that Facebook is different. Facebook is different to many companies but you can learn from other companies.

There is frequently group think and an element of 'Emperor's new clothes' where a senior person makes a suggestion or presents on idea and without debate everyone jumps onboard. I witnessed many incorrect interpretations of external research that is incorrectly applied within the company.

5. "Best place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, great tools, great benefits

Cons

Salary is not big enough in London

6. "Great place for engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Working with bleeding edge technologies
    - Software engineers can also drive product decisions

Cons

- Achieving work life balance requires a lot of discipline as there are lots of ameneties in the office that allow you to procrastinate

12 Dec 2017 – Global Director of Recruiting Programs

Thank you for sharing your experience, and for your continued work in bringing the world closer together.

"Fast paced, great environment and strong culture."

Current Employee - Industry Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Industry Manager in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly mission led company which drives everything that we do.
    Strong and inspirational leaders.
    Great environment, great colleagues and we are well looked after.
    Fast paced and constantly changing with an ambition to always do better.

Cons

If you don't like the challenge of a fast paced environment with constant change then it can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep going

12 Dec 2017 – Global Director of Recruiting Programs

Thanks for taking a moment to share. The pace at Facebook is exhilarating and the opportunities are endless. Let us know if you need more support if this change becomes disruptive.

8. "Amazing employer with lots of challenges and opportunities to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in London, England
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing colleagues who care about their work and colleagues
    Challenging problems
    Very self-led, opportunity to drive what you care about
    Extremely flexible work environment with working from home options, amazing benefits

Cons

Work-life balance is not always easy, there is pressure to perform but also always lots of work to do

9. "University Recruitment"

Current Employee - University Recruitment Lead in London, England
    Current Employee - University Recruitment Lead in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people
    - Culture
    - The mission
    - Benefits
    - The care your team and managers have for you is incredible.
    - Best Place to work!

Cons

Nothing to add here around cons.

10. "Research chef/ junior sous chef"

Current Employee - Junior Sous Chef in London, England
    Current Employee - Junior Sous Chef in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The chance to work with a very big budget, huge variety of products from all over the world. And the liberty to create my own dished and recipes.

Cons

Pour management, lack of leadership from my senior chefs ,problems in communication, unorganized human resources department that cause unnecessary issues

"Such a great place to work"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture here is fantastic; there are so many things that just work well together. For example, most engineers choose which team to join after the first 6 weeks or so, which encourages a lot of really positive behaviours. The company is also really open, allowing everyone to make great decisions: if you need access to some data, you probably have it available.

We have good tools and infrastructure that allows us to focus on the important things; things like booking a meeting room, following up on a task in a common system and many other things are just easy, using great tools that an internal team builds and maintains. I also think that the engineering-led approach to product development and a willingness to try things is really special, and allows us to be more bold than most other companies.

Oh, and the free food! Breakfast, lunch and dinner, with lots of great options, both healthy and not-so-healthy.

Cons

It's not a great place if you value being in charge, or being told specifically what to do when. Everyone is expected to be self-led to a large extent.

There also is relatively little documentation. If you want to find out something, most often you need to ask someone rather than read a document.

Advice to Management

Keep it going, and keep supporting London as a key growth site.

10 Oct 2017 – Head of Recruiting

Appreciate hearing about your Facebook London experience! We'll continue to invest in our engineering bootcamps so they can provide value to new hires across our company.

Showing 1,318 of 2,517 reviews