Facebook "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Facebook Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 11 Feb 2020

4.3
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg
Pros
  • "Free food, lot of responsibilities(in 342 reviews)

• "Working with really smart people(in 280 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor Work/life balance due to high performance(in 364 reviews)

• "There are no cons of working at facebook(in 79 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "10 years working in tech this is the best place I've worked in!"

Current Employee - Product Management in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined Facebook a few month ago and I couldn't be happier. I am amazed how this company has managed to keep its culture and how everyone lives by them everyday and it sets the tone for the best collaboration. Nothing here is someone's else problem you come in and it's your job to fix and make the whole machine function better. Internally transparency is incredible, and if you are unsure about something, a direction, or a decision you just ask and people will help you find the answer. People work hard but because they want to. Even at times when it's stressful, the work life balance is good enough that you can go home and enjoy a nice evening without overthinking.

Cons

Nothing related to Facebook, but to the fact that it is a big org and things can take a bit of time to move, but the company is not afraid to find new ways to move forward faster.

Facebook2019-12-09

"Mixed feelings, not a place for a parent"

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, nice people to work with, great flexibility

Cons

No work-life balance. Data Science is basically "product data science" and in most cases this translates in very little coding and no machine learning. Pressure is constantly high and unhealthy. Not many parents around and I can definitely see why.. If you want to be successful you basically have to give up the rest of your life and money cannot buy everything...

Facebook2019-12-04
  3. "Good benefits, no work process"

Current Employee - Product Designer in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Salaries and benefits - Work/Life Balance - Autonomy

Cons

- No work process for product teams - Very engineer-driven - The quality bar can be low sometimes

Facebook2019-10-05
  4. "Challenged to be a better person and make better products everyday"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom to make change happen where it's needed. Learn something new everyday, you're challenged to be a better person constantly. If you find a project that develops a new skill, it's encouraged heavily. Your team is your family and friends, everyone is close and also open to working together even if not in the same department. London offices have great programs in place to meet new people and do new things. Everyone is super smart, no one feels like they are lagging or dragging you down.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a challenge, depending on the season. Prioritisation can be difficult, there are so many shiny things to work on constantly and you can't always drop everyone to work on them.

Facebook2019-07-21

"It's good, but they will make you sweat for it"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay and nice perks (free delicious food, conmute and health benefits, travel in business class...), nice environment with colleagues and manager, lots of freedom regarding what to work on and how to carry it out (design, implementation...). Very big and cool issues to work on, which you wouldn't fine any where else in the world due to the sheer scale of the company.

Cons

The internal career system seems well intended and fair at first, until you try to follow it. Very poor work-life balance. I've never worked so much in my entire career, yet it never seems enough to satisfy the criteria to grow up internally. All internal systems are custom made and many times they compare poorly to open-source alternatives, specially from usability and stability perspective. Which means you will spend a long time to master the internal tooling and all that hard-earned knowledge will be worthless when you leave the company. Also, that all engineers have so much freedom means that everyone is constantly reinventing the wheel, and increasing the overall complexity of the environment thus changes harder and harder as time goes by. This is exacerbated by the bonus system, which for many years has encouraged engineers to build and deliver new things rather than fixing existing issues. All of this combined has lead to a monstrous internal ecosystem which is a huge pile of entangled hair, where the simplest of tasks requires careful planning and understanding and will take several days. Management has lately changed the incentives to encourage fixing and better quality, but it's too little too late.

Facebook2019-07-21

"Very dissapointed"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing perks and salary. A lot of resources for you to do your job. Lovely offices.

Cons

Work-life balance is seriously bad. Co-workers chatting on the work instant message system all day and night, if you were not part of the conversation you weren't awarded the same level of recognition so it becomes compulsory. My manager kept pushing me to work more and more (I worked weekends, late at night). The catch is they say you don't have hours and you administrate your time, but the workload is so heavy you need to work extra hours regularly and sacrifice work-life balance. Some managers have very bad people skills and the company doesn't really pay attention. Diversity is a myth, they talk the talk but don't walk the walk. From an ethical point of view, working for the company means turning a blind eye on a lot of things.

Facebook2019-04-05

"Growing Pains but great career opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well compensated and good benefits Opportunity to work on exciting projects

Cons

Lots of bad managers Under-resourced teams Growing pains Outside of the US, work life balance is poor (true across most teams) Company is still incredibly US centric

Facebook2019-04-04

"Amazing company for people who like to dive into their work"

Former Employee - Front End Engineer in London, England

I worked at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Smartest people I've ever worked with - A real chance to make impact on people's life - Solid compensation package

Cons

- Work/life balance. My team started at 10-11am and some people (me included) didn't leave before 9-10pm - Company values doesn't always work when it comes to your performance issues (i.e. your manager is always right no matter what you have in mind) - Doesn't feel like a "move fast and break things" at all

Facebook2019-02-27
  9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in London, England

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hugely strong culture, very supportive of staff, amazing perks, fast paced work, incredibly good work life balance

Cons

Growing incredibly quickly so don't know everyone in the office

Facebook2018-11-26

"Amazing company to work for - best learning experience"

Former Employee - Growth Manager in London, England

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Fantastic management team, really amazing that even with over 20K employees everyone knows the mission of the company and aligns - Well compensated compared to industry average and comes with a host of benefits including travel, free food, gym etc - People are so smart - always a learning opportunity to be had - Fantastic company culture - love how the company sticks to its core, e.g. weekly Q&As with Zuck, openness and transparency in the company strategy

Cons

- Difficult to maintain work-life balance, always on approach - Sometimes the lack of resources/processes was a frustration, would result in much more self-admin and sometimes I thought we were very highly paid adminstrators - With the need to grow desperation to hire quickly became a burden, meaning the most experienced team members spent a lot of time hiring rather than their core job - Upwards progression can be difficult as the nature of the company is quite flat and intentionally non-hierarchical. Means that progression into management and senior roles can be very difficult

Facebook2018-01-17

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 332 reviews