Find jobs for Investigator

Financial Ombudsman Service Investigator Reviews

Updated 27 Jul 2020

2.6
Financial Ombudsman Service Chief Executive and Chief Ombudsman  Caroline Wayman  (no image)
Caroline Wayman
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Good place to work"

5.0

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

Very flexible, especially during the lockdown period. They’ve been very supportive and allowed you to work around childcare needs. Benefits are great, especially the pension.

Cons

As other reviews have said, workload can be high. If you’re organised it’s manageable, but if not you could be overwhelmed.

2. "———-"

5.0

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

Good organisation with structure and great colleagues

Cons

Limited progression within certain roles.

3. "Good place to work"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

excellent benefits, good facilities and scenic location

Cons

micro-managing, case workload and unreasonable targets, very inconsistent coaching/mentoring. managers using bullying and scare tactics - completely against what the company stands for

4. COVID-19

"Great support during COVID"

Current Employee - Investigator in Coventry, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

The team has been really supportive in the current UK crisis. As I’d only recently joined I was concerned I’d lose my job but they have been fantastic.

Cons

The targets can be challenging.

"Problems with culture, discrimination and inconsistent management"

2.0

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I think they are good at recruiting - because they have better staff than they deserve. Most people at the lower levels are nice, and work hard. I don't think the work is too stressful. The pay and benefits are OK. The work they do (when it is done competently) is a good thing to do. I felt good about the difference I could make for people. I could sometimes feel very proud of my work (but not consistently).

Cons

I think the biggest problem may be that they just don't value management skills. They recruited internally for ombudsman managers, and went almost entirely for ombudsman. They believed that making a decision was something that couldn't be taught, but that people who had never been a manager could immediately be given staff to manage with minimal support. It's wildly inconsistent. Rules vary from team to team. It's not bad if you have a good manager, but managers change. I had 3 in 6 months at one point. If you get a bad manager then it can be terrible . The organisation cannot admit it is wrong. Which means that when you get a bad manager they will back them up however obviously there is a problem. It's a wider problem, they don't just change rules they deny they have changed them (because that would mean admitting they needed to be improved). Things change constantly but they then act as if they have always been that way - that even applies to guidance they give to financial businesses. You would follow guidance and tell a complainant something, then someone would complain about you and they'd undermine you, say something different and deny you were ever given the original guidance. This is particularly bad as they changed so much. Instead of listening to staff (who provided honest and constructive feedback year after year when surveyed, only to see the same mistakes again) they paid huge amounts to consultants who got them to buy whiteboards so teams could "huddle" round them.. Which no one liked or found helpful. They got rid of them as soon as they could. I thought their customer service was good. I was genuinely impressed with the thought they would put into, for example, accessibility for disabled consumers. But they never showed any of that compassion to staff. They allowed consumers to be abusive, and did not back staff up. They treated anyone with a disability or health problem terribly. (They are obsessed with standing meetings - I was once at a training even where a heavily pregnant woman and someone with severe back problems nearly got into a fight as they each insisted the other one should take the only chair). They were racist. The number of people taking time of with stress or other induced illness was very high. (The work is not stressful, but feeling undervalued, unsupported and being given no control is). You can wait for months for guidance. Their IT systems were so terrible that they were due to bring the new system online for over 1000 staff on a Monday, and at 5pm on the Friday they changed that to less than 10 staff. They paid for outside trainers to train for the new IT system, but did not explain our jobs so they did not know what we would need to do, and could not understand any of our questions. And got them to do it while the software was still in development so by the time it was due to be rolled out it had changed beyond all recognition. And there was no budget or time left to train us in it. Instead of sitting down with expensive trainers for 2 half day sessions in computer rooms we got a 1 hour talk from one of the 10 people who had tried it, talking at double speed to try and give us as much information as possible. Instead of having an actual good culture that treats staff with respect they treat people like they are at school. Decorating competitions for Christmas, Easter egg hunts, activities like a school sports day. I was once trying to get my work done while someone was sending out quizzes and activities every hour throughout the day. They lost post/cases and I believe they lied to an independent enquiry about this. HR is terrible. The move to the new investigator system was a disaster. They badly trained people in complicated things while removing specialists to do simple work. Then strangely enough had to move away from this. Having wasted months with the training, misrepresented the jobs, and held complaints up for months while consumers waited. Most of the people who work there at the lower level are nice and hardworking (see pros) but when things do go wrong no one steps in. I've seen people in teams just stop speaking to each other while management did nothing. They talk in baffling management speak. They train people to use plain English and avoid "jargon" but do not understand that their odd touchy feeling management speak is also a type of jargon. (Their appraisals required showing that you "communicated as a person". )They paid money to get stickers for their doors (in their font, and colours) saying things like "lets PULL together". When staff survey results showed people were feeling unmotivated one of my managers made the team have a meeting so we could come up with 5 things that would motivate us. And we couldn't leave until we did. They have an exceptionally high staff turnover. Some of that is not their fault - they recruited many young people who could get better jobs with a couple of years experience. But some of it is. I knew one small training intake (8 to 12 people) where none of them lasted a year because they had been recruited on a probationary salary for 6 months, but after 6 months not a single one was taken off probation, or sacked, they were all just kept working at the lower pay being told to meet targets they could not meet (because they had not been trained or supported). The last staff survey I saw (via another expensive outside consultancy) asked how well people understood what senior management did. The findings gave a whole page to the results of this, because it was "unusual", as it showed that the higher up in the organisation someone was the less they understood what the top staff did. I think this probably sums the place up more than any single other thing - the higher up people were the less they knew until you got people who didn't know what they themselves did.

Continue reading

"Sadly, not a great place to work anymore"

1.0
    Current Employee - Investigator

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Training received in customer services.

Cons

There is high turnover of staff-your managers change all the time and the support and guidance from knowledge experts are inconsistent. You will always be made responsible for something another investigator has done wrong. Some managers are great, some are very controlling. They will not help support you. They say you're doing well but then follow this up with how you're not meeting targets. They threaten you with performance reviews. And when you're are on one, they give you nothing but negative feedback. This makes you doubt yourself but if you know the guidance and have sought expert advice from elsewhere, then you're safe because you can stand your ground. Managers do nothing but support you - I echo most of the bad reviews on Glassdoor-if you're liked, then you will go very far. If you're not, then opportunities are taken away from you and you are left unsupported. Managers will tell you one thing, then having sought advice from senior management, will tell you something else afterwards. Targets are unrealistic. Senior management just want figures to make themselves look good. No support for the actual hardworkers. There are some lovely and fantastic people that the organisation has lost, and this is down to lack of progression, no clear advice and poor support. I would avoid this place. So many investigators are leaving because they're so unhappy. No support whatsoever.

Continue reading

"Management make your life a nightmare"

2.0

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most colleagues are great. Gym, canteen is ok. Location is pretty good and it's a different day every day so never got boring.

Cons

Management all talk to each other and if they want to hinder your progress they will. Managers managers never think of asking their teams to do a review, else mine would have been sacked a long time ago. Management shout at staff and ignore them if they want to. I ended up leaving when there was no more progression to be made. Also managers have no trust nor do they agree with senior management but do nothing to voice their opinions.

8. "Investigator job"

Current Contractor - Investigator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service

Pros

Most people are very friendly and welcoming. Canteen is very nice with a variety of menus

Cons

Lack of training is a joke! You get penalised for the smallest mistake.

9. "Generally a good place to work"

Current Employee - Investigator in London, England

Pros

The work is generally rewarding and it’s nice to go home knowing you’ve helped someone and done the right thing. The people are mostly great and there’s a lot of support from colleagues on a day to day basis. The benefits are good and it’s a nice office/working environment. There’s no expectation to work extra hours and there’s a good work/life balance.

Cons

There is limited scope for progression and it’s harder to get sponsored for qualifications than it was a few years ago.

Continue reading

"Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Investigator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-flexible -good benefits -great colleagues -work from home

Cons

-senior management not great -unrealistic targets which creates a bad environment sometimes

Found 88 reviews