Financial Ombudsman Service Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.0
Caroline Wayman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The senior management are listening now - and I think have been doing well with taking things on board" (in 79 reviews)

• "no-one is holding you in handcuffs and you are just dragging things down" (in 28 reviews)

"Honestly"

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1.)Great office facilities e.g canteens , gym etc and some good colleagues.

2.)You ONLY have to sacrifice your mental health, wellbeing and sense of morality to succeed. (quick tip, just skim through peoples case files, write careless assessments and try to reject complaints as much as possible, the cases may or may not close, but at least your numbers will look great for those wonderful daily "huddles": side note- having the threat of PIP hanging over your head gradually makes doing this a lot easier)

3.) Well, I made it out alive.

Cons

I could write a list of cons, so long that it could rival war and peace but I won't bore the masses repeating what hundreds of other people have said.

"It should be quality over quantity not quantity over quality"

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

Nice office, good people, can buy and sell holidays

Cons

unrealistic targets, more focus on quantity over quality, late phone shifts = leaving work unreasonably late (phones shift range from 8am-8pm).

Advice to Management

investigations not working return back to adjudication with specialised areas.

"It used to be a great place to work"

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

Good benefits, some colleagues really nice, people care about the job they do.

Cons

Toxic management , unfortunate changes to the structure

"Adjudicator"

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

Nice buildings, nice location, nice surrounding

Cons

Not a place to work if you want a peace of mind, there's constant bullying and a clichy environment..oh and if you're a person of colour you dare not make friends or talk to the those who are not especially the typical Essex lot.

5. "Team manager"

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service part-time

Pros

Good work life balance.

Cons

Constant change at the moment.

"Alright but dull"

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

- Nice enough people
    - Good offices
    - Reasonable remuneration

Cons

- You eventually get really bored of people (consumers) shouting at you
    - Senior management constantly trying to reinvent the wheel.

"Review"

Current Employee - Team Administrator in London, England
    Current Employee - Team Administrator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly enough good place to work

Cons

No progression ,no job opportunity and not challenging enough.

Advice to Management

I will not recommend to anyone

"Investigator"

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

Free gym and nice people to work with

Cons

Poorly organised. Hard to progress to more money

"Culture & Values"

Current Employee - Adjudicator in London, England
    Current Employee - Adjudicator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Unfortunately there is nothing positive about working here. If you want your health and well being to suffer, please feel free to join. Also, the management are completely untrustworthy. Couple of years ago they forced us into mass claims with a promise that you would go on the same terms and conditions, i.e. flexible working hours, working from home etc. But now they tell us if you want to continue working here you will need to sign a new contract with working hours of 8 - 8 and half day saturday aand that you will be questioned on your home working. Over ten years ago one of the HR directors expressed his concerns at salary differentials between ethnic and non-ethnic groups - but the management is still quiet, even after ten years and hasn't addresssed this issue. I think this place needs to addresss and re-assure its ethnic staff that they are being paid equally.

Cons

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 10 years)

It was interesting to read from the 'staff survey update' that the executives recognise that a change of culture is needed. They say "It’s clear to me that we need to support our leaders and managers to create the right culture here. We’ve been talking to colleagues about what they think good leadership looks like, and based on feedback we are developing a leadership framework which will be tailored for us. This will set out what’s expected from our leaders, managers and colleagues at every level, so we can all work together to make this a great place to work."
    'Culture' is defined as a set of customs, traditions and values of a society or a group. Thus, it can be seen as the growth of a group or identity followed by social patterns unique to that group.

This then begs the question why has 'terror management culture' been developed and fostered in this organisation with the team managers allowed to act obnoxioulsy with full encouragement and support from HR - certainly they are supported to the hilt by the HR function - the obnoxious team managers perceiving themselves as persons of worth within the world of meaning.

Yes, the culture does need a change - but I fear it is too late. Bully boy culture has been allowed to grow and foster with the full support from the senior managers and the HR to the point that it seems there is competition between the bully boy managers as to who makes the life of their staff the most miserable.

It seems to me that the motto of senior managers and the HR is to recruit stone-cold psychopaths as managers and make the life of their staff a living hell, a traumatic, career changing and life changing event. The aim seems to be recruit managers who are unscrupulous, emotionally superficial, without empathy and totally lacking in regret for the harm they cause. The senior managers and the HR seem to be of the view that psychopathy and success somehow go together. I am afraid this view has been shattered by the staff survey results and views expressed in helpful sites such as Glassdoor.

Either people with aberrant personality traits are not noticed and therefore cannot be restrained or held in place or they are deliberately promoted because the FOS believes that psychopathy and success goes together - I suggest it is the latter.

The whole process of corporate advancement is biased against honesty and towards psychopaths - otherwise how do you explain that loyal workers are not rewarded but the crazies who can fake success are rewarded.

The psychos that seem to do the best are those that seem to embody most closely the values of the organisation. I think way too much faith is placed on the idea of team managers in the first place - nobody in the organisation knows what they do except make the lives of their staff as miserable as possible and create a toxic atmosphere. These obnoxious managers simply can't influence the world as much as they like to imagine, then start acting badly when this becomes clear.

Advice to Management

It is encouraging to read that the senior managers understand that a culture change is required. But trying down the same route will only result with a fresh nutter. Actions speak louder than words. Also, whilst the senior managers say they understand a culture change is required, are they actually fostering a culture change or merely providing a lip service - as noted earlier in my review employyes were forced into mass claims with a promise that they will keep teh same working hours and pattern - a promise which was mentioned time and time again for two years - all of a sudden this stance has changed and staff are being told that they will have to sign a new contract. I think this is very despicable and just shows the culture and values this management has fostered - i.e. lie to the staff and treat them with contempt.

"Needs to change"

Former Employee - Adjudicator
    Former Employee - Adjudicator

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team members flexible working and location easy to get to

Cons

The changes have not been great for the company. All the good people are leaving. Go back the old ways

Advice to Management

Make changes. Listen to feedback