Financial Ombudsman Service Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

1.9
Caroline Wayman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Relatively good work/life balance" (in 54 reviews)

• "Good benefits, nice people and flexible hours" (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • "The senior management are listening now - and I think have been doing well with taking things on board" (in 77 reviews)

• "no one at the top is being performance managed" (in 27 reviews)

"things are improving"

Current Employee - Investigator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible working and people generally friendly.

Cons

Things can change a lot.

Advice to Management

Be clearer about plans and how they effect staff.

"Good selection of staff in the company - Management are a law upon themselves"

Current Employee - Investigator in London, England

Pros

Colleagues are good people who strive to do the right thing with the consumers and businesses.
    Flexi working hours.
    The format for training new starters was great a few years ago.

Cons

Management on all levels don't know what they're doing now. They put a change in place that isn't suitable to its staff and the consumers it provides the service for.
    There maybe the odd manager that cares for the members in his/her team but overall managers only care only about targets. Division/Pod managers tend to only associate with the team managers and have no direct communications with staff within the pods.

Advice to Management

Listen and care about the staff that this organisation relies on a daily basis.
    Management to be more involved with its staff than just opinions being sent and objectives being hit.

3. "Adjudicator"

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

Good benefits, nice people and flexible hours

Cons

Limited progression opportunities and management not always clear about messages

"No one is listening and nothing is changing"

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

There sadly aren’t many anymore.

Cons

Oh dear lord where do I start. I cannot hold off writing this anymore , I’m so angry and disappointed with the place. I keep giving feedback through the proper channels but nothing is being done about t . I try to do a good job but management are still control freaks, micro managing us, focusing on the small details not the big picture , think that they are right and we are wrong and too busy patting each other on the back for doing not much of anything. I don’t think the exec read glass door reviews , they think they are made up most of the time. The problem is that they aren’t made up - apart from people being a bit clever with their big words and terrible analogies everything is spot on. The main cause of the problems we have is that people who don’t know what they are doing have been overly promoted and it’s the blind leading the blind. Anyone with external experience and good ideas is pushed to the side and not given any autonomy . We could be writing a sitcom to rival W1A with the ridiculous scenarios we have internally . There’s all these policies and rules about giving constructive feedback and managing performance but no one is taking it seriously because no one at the top is being performance managed !!! No one is held to account for anything, it doesn’t matter if deadlines are missed or targets aren’t met - we will just throw money at it.
    I am writing this mainly to get it off my chest. Nothing will happen as a result. I don’t recommend people join the place if you want autonomy, challenge, accountability,to build a career.

Advice to Management

There’s not much point saying this because no one listens. If the CEO doesn’t go then nothing is going to change. Some of the people at the top need to look at themselves and ask what they are doing to support their staff provide a good service to customers, and to allow people to shine in their jobs. They are so focused on saving their bacon by just talking and not making any decisions.

"Used to be good"

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time

Pros

Used to be a good place to start your career in financial services.

Cons

Too many cliques and senior management not having a clear strategy or understanding of the impartial role FOS should have.

"Everything is not fine in fact it is horrible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable staff benefits a gym, canteens and ok pension

Cons

They are a con. Some questionable ethics in senior management and HR who stick together in cliques, promote or cover up inability and unfairness or their friends wrong doing. These people would not be employed or their actions tolerated in a proper organisation .Turnover is high and good people dont stay and if your face doesnt fit then forget any career here.
     TOXIC environment. Shabby and shamefull and laughable but it's not funny when real people with potential real life changing problems are ignored by this appalling excuse for a responsible public facing organisation. Stop churning out the same old rubbish and excuses. HR should know better and demonstrate some integrity. Pathetic.

Advice to Management

A lie detector should be fitted when you next appear before any scrutiny committee. Go on if you think you will pass what have you got to hide?

"Adjudicator"

Former Employee - PPI Adjudicator in London, England
    Former Employee - PPI Adjudicator in London, England

I worked at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very generous benefit
    Flexi time

Cons

I have never been in an organization where there has been so much micromanagement and such little faith in employees. It was a toxic environment working as an adjudicator in PPI. I recall one occasion where adudicators had to get their questions for senior staff visiting the nect day vetted by managers!! That's reminiscent of my primary school days. Bullying by management is also pervasive - as was reflected in the employee survey where 15% of the org considered they were bullied in the workplace. Got instance, certain managers in the Y900 division would class very trivial issues as a 'risk and impact ' in quality checks and get people in a PIP where it's completely unwarranted.

"Slap in the face"

Current Employee - Mass Claims in London, England
    Current Employee - Mass Claims in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I don’t think there are any worth mentioning

Cons

Low End staff Are overworked and very much under appreciated and in a massive middle finger to those staff the financial ombudsman service have done away with the Novembre bonus

Advice to Management

Show staff some appreciation, increase their wages the wage does not reflect the work

"Please do the right thing"

Current Employee - Investigator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gym, good colleagues, reasonable benefits and improved pay scales

Cons

The least human HR team in the world, most exec members clueless on business, ops and strategy, managers pretending to be ombudsmen (ye gods, would you want a goon judging your case in court?) and ombudsmen struggling to be managers and still deliver technical decisions in a timely manner, PHONE SHIFTS!!!

Advice to Management

The new sickness policy is a joke that’s just not funny. Chucking staff with chronic conditions and those struggling with health problems exacerbated by organisational change onto attendance plans requiring 100% attendance for 12 weeks is not right. It’s worse than not right. Especially when the consequences are a formal warning and dismissal. This is the sort of schtik the DWP pulls with Universal Credit. It has no place at the Ombudsman Service. Whatever happened to doing the right thing and treating people fairly?

For the love of everything, stop this nonsense. It’s only going to make the problem you’re trying to fix worse as absence increases, staff leave, are dismissed, and file employment tribunal claims.

"Transition now in meltdown"

Current Employee - Adjudicator in London, England
    Current Employee - Adjudicator in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great colleagues - fair benefits

Cons

This area supports the new model until it finally finds its feet. The divisional heads of this area are running the staff into the ground. Platitudes around mental health exist alongside obsessive target objectives - and performance plans.

Anyone managed out will be successful at tribunal - half the people in this area are on 'plans' and stressed because of the management. People of 10 years experience don't suddenly become incapable - there is a wider issue which will come out when FOS are taken to the courts again.

Advice to Management

Some divisional managers need to reflect on their behaviour.

Senior management - you need to look at this area.