Financial Ombudsman Service Senior Manager Reviews

Updated 30 May 2020

4.9
Financial Ombudsman Service Chief Executive and Chief Ombudsman  Caroline Wayman  (no image)
Caroline Wayman
  1. COVID-19

"A handful of ungrateful people"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Our people are diverse from all walks of like - from ethnicity to different needs! Very well done to the service albeit at times I do feel we bend over backwards to meet the “demands” our people make even though someone without different needs would not get the same demands agreed. We make a difference to our people’s lives through the flexibility and adjustments we make for them which in turn helps us to serve our consumers and financial businesses. Generally, a friendly bunch of people at the service with most making a difference to help those who need us. We don’t always get it right but no one I know goes out of their way to intentionally do things wrong!

Cons

Tough times during lockdown and whilst most are working hard to make things work and continue with working on delivering what we’re here for - resolving financial complaints, there are more than a handful that just don’t want to play ball - it’s their way or let’s make hell for the service. They forget that they should be grateful each day that they still have a job as there are thousands of people out there that have lost jobs and are really struggling. So stop your unhelpful demands and get on with what you’re being paid for otherwise there is the option not to work at the service if you’re unhappy with the huge support and flexibility being provided and try and find a job during these really tough times. Draw a line and move on and step up!

Continue reading

"challenging with pressures but exciting, right change to future proof"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hard work but satisfying if you have the right mind set and behaviours to make a difference to our customers! Long gone are the days where things are given to you on a plate, if you have ambition, drive and want to progress, you need to work hard to earn your position. Stand strong and accept constructive feedback and make the right changes that's going to get you to where you want to be at the service. Being negative and defensive really isn't going to get you to where you want to go. If you're really unhappy, understand and accept this isn't the journey for you and move on but don't bring down others with the negativity; it really isn't helpful

Cons

Leadership team need to stand strong and be united, disagreements amongst those at the top should never be filtered down onto the shop floor, a little concerning that it is! However, those leaders are also human and the amount of unjust and unfair comments on glass doors is rather overwhelming for any person especially those that are truly trying to make a difference. If you stop listening and jumping on the bandwagon with those few who are unhappy this could really be a great place to work. If you're not happy; then leave- the service needs to stop being held to ransom to these employees and focus on those who really want t make a difference and shape our future.

"It's ok, but..."

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Financial Ombudsman Service full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of people who really do make an effort to do the best they can. It's a lovely building to work in and the flexible benefits package is very good.

Cons

Unfortunately there are very senior people promoted beyond their abilities. Our CEO is out of her depth and we have a director of new services who has a pent more years working for this organisation than some staff have been alive. A lot of the support areas get a hard time as they're seen as ineffective when in reality they are stifled by senior leaders who think they know best and refuse to accept the advice given by the experts they employ. Our senior leaders operate at a level well beyond where you'd expect them to and the impact of that is evident. The executive have a serious case of group think and the CEO operates as a supervisor rather than a strategic leader. She is often paraded around in an effort to be seen to be connecting with her staff and then rolls off scripted updates and avoids answering questions in a way that most politicians would envy.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 3 reviews