Finsbury Reviews

Updated 4 Mar 2020

4.0
Finsbury Founder & Chairman Roland Rudd (no image)
Roland Rudd
  1. "Massive opportunities, incredible clients and fun atmosphere"

Former Employee - Director in London, England

I worked at Finsbury full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Finsbury is fast-paced, exciting and dynamic atmosphere, working on the most important communications issues of the day. The three main pros for me are: calibre of clients, M&A and the people. Starting out eight years ago as an Executive and leaving as a Director, Finsbury has been an incredible place to learn and progress. It's a flat organisation and I was always trusted and given opportunities to extend myself. There's a real sense of team culture and camaraderie across Finsbury, I've made life long friends.

Cons

Work life balance during M&A can be tricky as it's naturally demanding and unpredictable but ultimately these situations are an incredible learning curve in the early years and can be career defining. It can also be hard to manage your workflow as the level of interesting work is high and there is a temptation to say yes to everything.

2. "Good clients but tough culture"

Former Employee - Team Assistant

I worked at Finsbury full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good range of big name clients

Cons

working culture could be better

3. "Fantastic Place to work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in London, England

I worked at Finsbury full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great exposure to clients early on Able to get involved in lots of projects Good pay and bonuses

Cons

Often long hours and no ability to work from home Slow to adopt technology

4. "Filled with smart people who want to do a great job for clients"

Current Employee - Managing Director

I have been working at Finsbury full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

To really get the best from Finsbury, you have to be driven, ambitious and have a genuine interest in global business and politics. It's an amazing place to learn and develop. The people are smart and everyone is willing to support colleagues and share knowledge. There is a truly global, specialist network of like-minded colleagues across various international locations which make it an incredibly exciting place to work. Finsbury works on some of the most high profile projects across multi disciplines and has specialists within employee change, crisis, government and public affairs, M&A/Capital markets, thought leadership and brand, digital and corporate reputation. There is an opportunity for Finsbury employees to specialise in their own area of interest so career development is really in the hands of the individual, which is a huge plus. The strong global network means there is a really opportunity for international working on both a short and longer term basis. Also, the new London office on the Strand is quite fantastic.

Cons

I don't see this as a con but, undoubtedly, given the type of work Finsbury does and the level of clients it serves, means there is often a requirement to support clients around the clock. Especially when working on a global issue. Anyone looking to thrive in an agency like Finsbury will need to enjoy this.

Continue reading
  5. "Good clients but not friendly atmosphere"

I worked at Finsbury full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to work on big, blue chip, FTSE100 clients, and across a range of sectors and it's fast-paced

Cons

Long hours and not that friendly

"WORST JOB EVER."

1.0
    Former Employee - Associate in London, England

I worked at Finsbury full-time for less than a year

Pros

The boss, Roland, is brilliant. Met and worked with some decent people. Everyone I know was out within a year or two. Looks semi-decent on resume.

Cons

Extremely toxic environment especially for more junior staff who have come straight out of college. You are treated terribly for very little pay. Shocking hours, including work on weekends. Can't comment on the US office, however the U.K. office is very public school/ Eton bred/ incestuous place of work. My boss was psychotic and demanded I write press reviews at 5 am on weekends! Strong favoritism and very old school management.

Continue reading
  7. "High profile clients; hard work but great experience and good fun"

Former Employee - Associate Partner in London, England

I worked at Finsbury full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You will have the opportunity to work with top PRs on high profile accounts from day one. Unlike other agencies where client interaction at a junior level is restricted, you will get exposure early on. At a senior level partners let account managers get on with running accounts but are still very much involved ie you feel supported. Although you sit within sector teams at Finsbury, you can work across a number of clients in different sectors. Having said that when I decided I wanted to focus on one industry my managers were very supportive and encouraged it. A big focus on strategic comms unlike some other agencies - this is a big plus ie you're not just churning out press releases day after day. Opportunity to work in house from time to time (I worked at 3 FTSE100s while there) which builds relationships with the client and is good experience - looks great on the CV. A small company so everyone knows everyone - makes it a lot more fun. Really nice people. You will learn a LOT very quickly but must be prepared to work hard and put in the hours when needed. Increased focus on diversity. Good remuneration and benefits - pension, travel and health insurance, gym etc.

Cons

HR function could do with a bit more focus but it has improved over the years. Some long hours intermittently throughout the year (mainly around client financial results and deals) - but it's not like banking ie every night of the week. The office isn't the plushest but plans are afoot to change that I believe.

8. "Poor company leadership"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in London, England

I worked at Finsbury full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

#2 in financial M&A, competitive salaries, good atmosphere

Cons

Limited development opportunities, lack of transparency from management re. compensation/promotions, no HR function, difficult relations between London HQ and other offices, tendency to favoritism.

Continue reading
  9. "Great Parental Leave Policies!"

5.0

I have been working at Finsbury full-time

Pros

Fantastic parental leave - moms & dads! WFH one day a week upon return

Cons

Client needs are priority and can intrude on personal time

10. "Great benefits but no culture"

1.0

I worked at Finsbury full-time

Pros

Finsbury has very interesting and high profile work assignments in the crisis communications and financial communications areas. It also devotes significant resources to keeping on staff in the form of compensation/bonuses/time-off policies. Because of its reputation and decent compensation, staff are smart, very talented people from interesting backgrounds.

Cons

As noted in Pros above, the firm devotes significant resources to keeping on staff, because there is little else going on to keep people at the company. There really is not a ‘Finsbury culture,’ no matter how often the leadership asserts that there is. People generally stick to themselves and the teams they work on, very often forming cliques. The ultimate consequence of this is an office environment full of politics that could be detriment to advancing if you find yourself on the wrong side of it. It is a bit of an ‘old boys’ club when it comes to the senior management – serious lack of diversity at the partner level. Further, there is little to no transparency in how decisions are made and little communication up until they are. Staff are expected to be on call at all hours, including weekends for even the most mundane of tasks. Aside from senior management, the more junior staff generally do not handle media relations, which is a bit odd for a PR firm.

Found 37 reviews