First Utility Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

First Utility CEO Colin Crooks
Colin Crooks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No sick or Maternity / Paternity pay" (in 14 reviews)

• "The only drawback is car parking" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"We told them, they listened and they acted!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of current and previous employees have identified areas for improvement from a lack of parking to Maternity Leave, Pension to Manager capability. All I can say is that the company have listened and done their best within their budgets to meet our needs. A new car park has been built and parking is never a problem, Maternity pay is now 26 weeks full pay and training and apprenticeships for managers are now available. I understand that everything cant be fixed in one go but in just 12 months the business has taken some huge steps forward for its people with I'm sure more to come.

Cons

Lots of change so for those who cannot deal with change its not always the best place to be.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and show them when you have acted upon their feedback.

2. "Customer First Advisor"

I have been working at First Utility full-time

Pros

Really good environment to work in, Big prospects for the future and definitely a company to try and get into now

Cons

No cons for me, I enjoy coming to work

3. "Decent but progression poor"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Coventry, England

I worked at First Utility (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, innovative, Seeking to grow.

Cons

Lack of growth for employees.

4. "Very poor place to work !"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Coventry, England

I worked at First Utility part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would say the only pro is that the atmosphere is good which the employees create, not the business itself.

Cons

• no sick pay which is at management discretion and the company does not take any of employees situations seriously or into consideration !

• HR policies are appalling, HR does not know how to do displinaries. Management also make up things as they go along and no structure to the company.

• High turn over of staff which shows the company does not appreciate staff and the business cannot appeal to staff !

• no progression and only if the face fits or if your constantly following management around like a goose chase!

• appreciation to staff is not given even for carrying out overtime!

• there is no personal development as the company states. It's a falacy to a structure created for formality reasons and not for the care and attention of colleagues.

• staff canteen charge excessive pricing on food and do not have a Saturday service to serve hot food.

Overall a really big disappointment regardless of minor improvements. Managers need to be trained more and do not possess people skills in some departments.

Favouritism is ripe and fair few are selected for progression towards jobs they do not fit into.

HR are not trained to the best of their abilities and over ride rules and regulations set out by the unions and working laws. Advise anyone who wants to work here to sign yourself up to a union as you'll need one!

Advice to Management

Choose people who have people skills and not those who you favour over others. People with qualifications or experience are not given opportunities to progress.

5. "One of the best companies I have worked for, EVER!"

Current Employee - Broadband Support Advisor in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Broadband Support Advisor in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff and management. HR are so up there on the ball and they go to the limit to make sure that all staff are happy and safe. It really is that good

Cons

They do have a problem on punctuality and it's a little draconian!

Advice to Management

Please be more lenient on people being late, sometimes it's really not their fault.

6. "Customer Resolution Executive"

Current Employee - Custoemr Resolution Executive in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Custoemr Resolution Executive in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-great management
    -great recognition- employees- valued
    -good salary range
    -flexible work
    -inclusive company
    -teamwork
    -multicultural workplace

Cons

-there is always space- to improve employees engagement - through clearer and team objectives beside business targets

"A business that listens!"

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working, New onsite parking (following feedback about more parking on site being needed), Enhanced Maternity Policy (a brand new 6 month paid maternity policy has been put in place - this has been called out for, for as long as I've worked here - so massive thumbs up!), Exciting new future prospects after being bought by Shell, Great development portal - First Forward.

Cons

Now that we have this exciting new future with Shell, we need to be better at communicating this to the wider staff - the Make the Future conference was great, but this needs to be continued!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the team - the changes being made with the family friendly policies make a huge difference to how people feel about working here. Listening and making decisions based on people not process will help to keep us with a more stable workforce.

8. "Ideas Matter. Change Happens."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've nearly been with First Utility for five years and what a journey! I've developed my career and had great support in external training courses to help me along the way. I have an internal mentor and have since become a mentor on our scheme myself. The opportunity is there for anyone wanting to make the best of their role.

Ideas matter. Change happens. We've been through an incredible journey and there have naturally be pain points along the way, but that isn't hidden. Thoughts are heard - recently the Company came together for out 'Lets Make the Future' event to celebrate becoming part of Shell. One update was following a widely shared view of a necessary improvement - people wanting better maternity pay - that's now happened!

The facilities are great. We've just had our restaurant refurbished, the offices are colourful. There are sofas in The Den, video games and table football. I've had to pay for parking at other businesses, but not here. There is enough parking with our car park extension onsite at head office and a Trim Trail if you fancy a stroll/jog or lunch outside on the picnic benches.

Last but not least, the people here are just brilliant. We have quarterly team events to celebrate achievements and talk through our plans for the next few months - everyone is working to the same goal. We have forums to share thanks and positive feedback - it's an exciting place to be, especially on our journey with Shell now!

Cons

It's an open plan environment and whilst agile working is supported (working from home as well as at agile desks or in the atrium or den on the sofas) it can sometimes be difficult to find somewhere quiet to just 'crack on', but working from home does help me there!

Advice to Management

Keep showing everyone that their thoughts matter - acknowledging views and seeing real changes to the things that matter most to people is really great!

9. "Two years in. . ."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoy working for First Utility. The people are what make it the great place it is. There are things that have needed to be improved in the past and these have been listened to and acted on.

A company that truly has the customer and it's people at the heart of all it does.

Cons

Sometimes communication could be better.

Advice to Management

Let the business know the great things your working on.

10. "Best Part-Time Job Ever"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Pay.
    -Hours
    -Colleagues
    -Environment
    -Free coffee, tea and squash
    -Fun work activities

Cons

-At first it can seem overwhelming especially if you have not had experience in the energy market
    -Overtime not available is you work over your shift if you are part time

Advice to Management

-Maybe focus more on practical training and cut down classroom training