First Utility Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

First Utility CEO Colin Crooks
Colin Crooks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No sick or Maternity / Paternity pay" (in 14 reviews)

• "You don't get sick pay for the first few days which is a shame" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"We told them, they listened and they acted!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of current and previous employees have identified areas for improvement from a lack of parking to Maternity Leave, Pension to Manager capability. All I can say is that the company have listened and done their best within their budgets to meet our needs. A new car park has been built and parking is never a problem, Maternity pay is now 26 weeks full pay and training and apprenticeships for managers are now available. I understand that everything cant be fixed in one go but in just 12 months the business has taken some huge steps forward for its people with I'm sure more to come.

Cons

Lots of change so for those who cannot deal with change its not always the best place to be.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and show them when you have acted upon their feedback.

2. "Loving it"

Current Employee - Broadband Specialist in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Broadband Specialist in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been in training since 1/10/18 and i have been really enjoying it!
    It's been a great experience so far, i'm enjoying the job, and the people are so lovely!

Cons

I have none found so far!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! :)

3. "Broadband First Adviser"

Current Employee - Broadband First Adviser in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Broadband First Adviser in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly environment, good perks, steady training and coaching

Cons

no negatives as of yet

4. "Cash and bank team leader"

Pros

Good pay, good hours flexible working was a plus.

Cons

High staff turn over.

Advice to Management

Nobe

"Career Killers"

Former Employee - Online Customer Adviser in Coventry, England
    Former Employee - Online Customer Adviser in Coventry, England

I worked at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sorry but I can’t think of any

Cons

Poor working conditions

No training

No pay reviews after probation passed as promised in interview

Sickness or absence for whatever reason is punished with no pay

Incompetent HR

Low salary and hard to earn any bonus

Managers have their favourites

Shell takeover makes it sound like there will be a lot of staffing changes in 2019

Advice to Management

Stop lying to people when interviewing them. I was promised a progressive working environment but it’s stuck in the passed. Stop asking people for reviews on here and on Trustpilot to get high ratings. People are joining FU because of the promises your making in interviews as you make it sound amazing but as others on here have stated the turnover of people is so high as the lies become apparent and they leave straight away

6. "Nice people to work with"

Pros

Good work hours, if you're in tech that is

Cons

No sick pay, favoritism

7. "First Utility - Growing company that cares"

Current Employee - Internal Communications Production Lead in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Internal Communications Production Lead in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's been an amazing one month at First Utility. My first impression when I came for my first interview was 'Wow' - I got my feedback straight after my interview which was amazing. This is the first employer that gave me my feedback then and there - this helped me especially as I'm always looking to develop myself.

One month since I've been a part of the HR team has been amazing. I've felt welcomed not just by colleagues and stakeholders but by the senior management as well. Working here is fun. We're working towards an agile business. The package and perks are amazing along with the Bupa Health care that employees get (waiting to complete my probation) to be a part of this.

As an Internal communicator, it's amazing to hear and talk about the opportunities the company gives its employees who are looking to grow.

I'm blessed to be a part of an amazing HR team and have great colleagues who care.

Cons

In terms of cons, I'd probably say it's the approval process for any equipment or software that's required. I think this could be better. It takes a very long time for a new equipment/software to get approved.

Advice to Management

Keep recognising colleague's hard work.
    Keep interacting and engaging with colleagues.

"Lack of Security"

I worked at First Utility full-time

Pros

Some genuinely nice people to work with.

Cons

Awful salary and pension. First perks does not make up for this. Nobody gets actually promoted only secondment and "glide paths", you show faith in the company and they reward you with a lot of extra work and for some reason could make you wait almost a year for the salary you were promised. This shows that the company does not trust its employees and at the very least does not want to pay them for the job they are doing. It is well known that external hires are vastly overpaid, yet there is confusion about why people want to leave. The company culture is not professional for the majority, though it likes to pretend to be. A day in work can feel like a day in school, which makes it difficult to remain positive. I am happy I left but I really hope that they learn to take pride in their employees and behave more like an adult business.

Advice to Management

Develop your employees.
    Behave like professionals.

First Utility Response

29 Oct 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to read that you've left us with these views, it really isn't the culture that we aim to foster. We encourage everyone to take responsibility for their... More

9. "Web chat executive"

Current Employee - Web Chat Executive in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Web Chat Executive in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Hours tailored to me
    - Team members always help with query
    - Feel apart of a team, good team environment

Cons

- Some processes aren't on guide

"Don't be fooled by all the fake 5 star reviews"

I worked at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have parking but even that is a joke

Cons

I know for a fact they have a designated person at the company who just looks after Glassdoor, going around asking employees to post FAKE positive reviews!
    This person asked everyone in HR to post reviews, it's really sad that they have to do this.
    The company is full of young talent and yet most of the senior leaders are in their 60's makes no sense to me, no wonder why they have no clue what is going on, not that they even care.
    They have made so many HUSH redundancies as of late, cutting valuable people of the business and are now suffering the consequences.
    Yes, we know Shell is on board funny how they still have not rebranded or put any money into the business.
    So many teams are treated differently than the rest, HR especially, its like they don't even follow the rules they put into place.
    Sick pay, well not everyone gets that do they. It's funny how some employees suffer when they are genuinely off ill.
    They are quick to get Bupa to come in and do talks on mental health in the workplace, then when you go off work with stress and illness they turn their backs on you.

Advice to Management

leave, your time is done.