First Utility Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

First Utility Reviews

Updated 20 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relaxed working environment and pleasant office space (in 11 reviews)

• Fast Paced - all working towards a clear vision given by CEO and Execs but with the freedom on how to get there (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The only drawback is car parking (in 12 reviews)

• Pay structure & Lack of maternity pay (in 12 reviews)

"Lost its way and will continue to lose knowledgeable staff"

Former Employee - Resolution in Coveney, England
    Former Employee - Resolution in Coveney, England

I worked at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back work environment if you are back office
    Great colleagues
    Fruit Fridays
    Relaxed work attire

Cons

Slow Computers - Desktops need an upgrade for anyone that has to have 2 screens, with multiple systems and tabs open.

Very poor management that constantly changes. Upper Mangers leave to competitors and get replaced by people that have not yet proven themselves in their current role or do not have the skill set to move up but get promoted anyway.

People doing well in their current roles are over looked for promotion because managers know they will struggle to replace that person or it would take too long to train someone else up to their level to do their role.

No help pursing your PDP unless your manager is happy to help you progress (most will offer little guidance due to the above point I made)

Stupid rules for different teams or departments;
    Food - Some teams can eat at their desks others can only eat snacks, some are allowed to eat hot food others are not, no consistency on what can and can not be eaten and no guidance from HR or employee handbook.

Lateness/Sickness - No consistency, managers give late forms to some people and not others. Sick pay is paid sometimes but not others and before you respond that as a business you do not pay sick pay, stop lying to your staff as I know you do pay sick pay as I have been paid for sick leave on 2 occasions and yet people that have to go into hospital to have an operation do not get it.

No annual pay rise if you have move departments despite the annual review being performance related. Work all year on your kips and reps get great scores and feedback but no pay rise as you have moved from 1st to 2nd line or Tech to metering etc. Why cant annual salary reviews just be based on your performance?

Different salaries for the same job - In one team in the resolution centre there was a salary difference of 6k for some people doing the same role.

Starting salary for 1st line is competitive with other similar telephone based customer service roles but these salaries are not competitive for complex resolution issues, case management and other back office roles. Stop telling us they are competitive.

In my 3 years I have seen many people leave the business but it now seems to be a daily occurrence and this is up an down the pay scale, Surely you as a business must be able to see that something is going seriously wrong. If the business continues on the route it is now I week very sorry for my colleague over the next few years and would urge them to get out as soon as possible. The way the UK energy market is going I do not see FU being around in 5 years time.

The business do not seem to be concerned that they are losing the most knowledge people within the business to other business like the Financial Ombudsman, Barclays, Extra Energy, Economy Energy, Eon etc

Very poor benefits - Pointless Pension, Pointless Perks, Pointless Staff Tariff

Office location makes it difficult to get to work & the parking is rubbish

Advice to Management

Look at some of the leading companies and how they treat their staff. Richard Branson and Virgin's stance towards their employees and the benefits and progression they offer are a perfect example that has lead to record staff retention levels and a happy workforce. Companies like Virgin & Google are a key example of how a business should treat their staff and FU would be a much better place to work if they started looking at the employee experience instead of being happy to have a revolving door of people coming and going all of the time with skill set and knowledge being lost daily. I've now left the business as I was fed up of over performing in my role and getting little or no recognition. No pay rise since joining the business despite strongly demonstrating all kips and reps areas. Very poor pension (something as I'm now in my 30's I am finding a key benefit)
    No fair, consistent sick pay or lateness policy.

I don't know what to advise to sort all these problems, I seriously think its too late and that they have lost all of the decent managers and most of the decent staff and it is now left with the rubbish and will continue on a downward spiral. I do hope I am wrong though, if only for the few amazing colleagues I know that still work there.

"Shambles"

I have been working at First Utility full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, good working hours

Cons

No progression opportunities, weak managers with favourites within every team, no thanks or praise, repetitive work, constant unstability

10 Oct 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hello and thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback. Firstly, I am sorry to hear that you believe career progression opportunities are limited because the reality is very different: as a... More

"Promises much, delivers little"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

#Fairly steady income
    #Nice office (that we are moving out of)
    #Nice working environment

Cons

# Lack of a pay rise
    #Poor career development
    # No room to develop new skills/training
    #None existant Mat/Pat pay
    #New positions are filled before or without being advertised / interviewed for
    #Severe lack of cross department communication
    #No benefits / bonus
    #Lack of parking spaces

Advice to Management

There are a few major issues. I along with most of my team have never had adequate training for the roles that we do. A large part of this stems from the fact that departments do not speak to each other. There are so many tools that could make my job a lot easier which I don't have access to and for reasons unexplained am not given training on. It just seems to be excuse after excuse.

Issues with pay as well, yes starting wage for most roles is competitive but swapping roles isn't some people are held to a 10% only increase on their current role with other people being given what they want. (a friend of mine got a 25% increase, where as I got 10%). Which is one of the many inconsistencies that come from HR.

Not to mention the fact in another team a member of staff has been made the new manager of the team without the role being advertised or interviewed for. There are many cases of if you face doesn't fit you won't have any support or help to progress and most managers have their 'favorites' but I believe this was a step too far.

The lack of good progression routes, wage increases, bonus scheme or Maternity or Paternity pay have meant I have seen many good colleagues leave the business.

12 Oct 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience. I won't be able to do justice to all your comments but, if I may, I will respond to the key points raised. Firstly, in terms of job training we ask... More

5. "Fantastic people, nice work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I worked at First Utility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Friendly and professional work colleagues
    - Empower employees to execute initiatives
    - Comfy and relaxed work environment
    - cares about employees when making business decisions

Cons

- Average pay and benefits
    - lack of team building activities
    - car parking chaos

Advice to Management

- Offer / increase pay and benefits to retain talent employees
    - Organize cross-departments team building activities

2 Oct 2017 – Chief People Officer

It's great to read your comments about the friendly and professional colleagues we have at First Utility and that everyone is encouraged to take accountability to deliver the best service for our... More

"Great Company But A Long Way To Go...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility (Less than a year)

Pros

The people - Like most work places the people around the office are one of a kind. With working within a range of departments I've been lucky to be able to get to know a wider range of staff.

My role - it offers flexibility and a great salary.

We are innovative and are always creating new ways to help our customers and employees.

Soon to be the new car park and building updates, although our work place is already bright, vibrant and exciting we are going through even more changes to make it an even more comfortable and exciting place to work.

Cons

A big one on here for me is mat and pat pay, the reason being it limits my time of working within the organisation. Although I wish to stay and take advantage of their opportunities I cannot.

Advice to Management

Look at the talent you have within your business and utilise it more, bring in agent to *whatever role* programmes, use their skills and even degrees to help better the company.

We are losing those who follow our REPs day in day out to higher pay and to progression. Instead of asking for reviews and feedback week in week out you need to do something about it.

"Time To Leave A Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - CSP Test Analyst in Coverack, England
    Current Employee - CSP Test Analyst in Coverack, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Large office space
    -People are friendly
    -Gmail chat

Cons

-No progression
    -Promotions given without job being advertised
    -A lot of dead wood
    -Parking
    -Facilities are poor
    -No direction
    -Pay is low

Advice to Management

I was shown this page today and it made me angry that someone from HR is responding to these reviews in a public forum but when these are brought up internally it’s pushed aside.

People considering First Utility need to be aware you are walking into a company that talks a good fight but in reality are going to limit you and your career.

A lot of people are leaving who have been with company a long time which is worrying including the Director listed on this page.

Avoid

19 Oct 2017 – Chief People Officer

I'm sorry to hear that your experience has not lived up to your expectations and has been far from the experience we take great pride to strive for.

The journey of every colleague who joins us... More

"Could be great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice working environment
    A real Innovative company with an eye on the future of technology
    Managers do the best they can for staff

Cons

HR policy encourages employees to leave
    Talent pool loss due to inability to retain staff
    Departments do not work well together
    Performance based bonus
    No sick or Maternity / Paternity pay

Advice to Management

Allow employees to get a bigger salary if they deserve one, restricting managers to only allow a max 10% increase in salary or the lowest band of the job they have applied for is causing employees with fantastic knowledge to leave as they know this is the only option to get a salary indicative of their contribution to the company.

A person who moves company often will be on almost double that of someone who is loyal and stays with the business, no care for those who have been with the business for long periods and have hit milestones (5,10,15 years)

I feel our company vision has been lost, we are no longer looking out for people by fighting to get customers on a cheaper tariff and have switched to being the same as the big 6. We have made it to easy for the customer and decent employees to leave us as we do not really provide anything worth staying for and soon those of us who are loyal will look elsewhere, we've lost too many already.

"Customer Contact Agent"

Pros

Good team environment and line manager

Cons

Bad management and stressful targets to reach

2 Oct 2017 – Chief People Officer

I'm sorry to read about your experience as it's not the environment we wish to create or foster. I would very much value the opportunity of a telephone call to better understand your experience and... More

10. "Working with lovely people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at First Utility part-time

Pros

Enjoying my work, and since I have been here every one have very helpful

Cons

This is the best place i have worked for.

2 Oct 2017 – Chief People Officer

What lovely feedback, thank you. It sounds as though you've found the right job for you which is great news. We're working hard to keep First Utility as a great place to work so do let us know... More

"Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries competitive, good work atmosphere, people are friendly, Quidco style incentive scheme

Cons

Poor company pension contribution, maternity and paternity pay and canteen food plus car parking an issue.

Dependant on the department you work in senior management only seem to last between 1-2 years so continuity with direction is an issue

25 Sep 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for your review and giving us a chance to comment. You're not alone in saying that our base salaries are competitive and working with great colleagues makes for a great atmosphere at First... More