First Utility Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 13 July 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No sick or Maternity / Paternity pay" (in 14 reviews)

• "The only drawback is car parking" (in 14 reviews)

"Room for progression"

Current Employee - Digital Customer Services Executive in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Digital Customer Services Executive in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people are great here I've made some really good friends
    - There is plenty of support when it's needed and the training is also good
    - If you work hard within this company you can progress
    - The canteen is pretty decent although people moan, it's also very cheap
    - Overall happy place to work

Cons

- The car park
    - Benefits / perks

20 Mar 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for your 5-star review! It's great that once again, as with many of our other reviews that our people are the first thing on your list of pros. We're really proud of the people that make us... More

2. "really happy!"

I have been working at First Utility full-time

Pros

- Clean, sophisticated environment
    - fruity Fridays
    -loads going on!
    - everyone always smiles and says hello
    -Andy Eadle is lovely... too man but always says hello to you and treats you like youre at the same level as him

Cons

the temporary parking at the moment is a bit annoying, if you're not at the sorting car park by 8:20 you won't get a space!

20 Mar 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! Thank you for your great feedback on our modern environment and friendly people, those things are really important. I do hope you've been able to make the... More

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Digital Services Manager in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Digital Services Manager in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Positive environment to work
    - Supportive staff
    - Friendly faces
    - Opportunities to develop your skills
    - Great facilities

Cons

- Communication/interaction between teams in the contact centre can be better to build lasting relationships.

Advice to Management

- To listen more to the advisors who are closest to our customers when shaping future decisions as this can be instrumental to the success of our business. In essence taking away a top--down approach. This will also drive engagement and will make colleagues feel their opinion is valued.

20 Mar 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for your 5-star review! It's great to hear your list of pros and in particular that our people, facilities, support and opportunities to develop and high on the list of pros shared by many... More

"Just 1 major issue to be fixed and this could be an amazing place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First Utility is growing company and there is some very good people here, including many members of management.

Progression, like anywhere, is self driven. Progession will not just land on your desk. If your pro-activaly seek it, then First Utility does have the tools to help you progress.

Salary is fairly competitive.

Cons

The giant elephant in the room here will always be benifits.

One thing everyone looks for when building a long term career is security. Will the company look after me if I should become sick or start a family? no. This leads to alot of good people leaving the business to find a career elsewhere that offers a modern benifits package and you cannot blame them. Its a shame because I have seen so much talent leave the business, not because of the job, because the company inability to protect its staff with a security package in place. I am also very surprised this has not been addressed with the investment of Shell incoming. or maybe it will be?

Advice to Management

Address the benifits packages as first perks is simply does not work. 5% off at Asda does not make up for losing £90 a day if you are too ill to work.

People drag themselves to work when they are sick and pass the viruses around like wildfire now we are all crammed in to the one office, it only makes the business less productive.

If the benifits issue is fixed, then this company would be a 5 star company to work for, and one to be proud to work for.

20 Mar 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks very much for taking the time to leave a detailed review. I'm pleased that the first thing you mentioned as a pro is our people. Without our dedicated people, we wouldn't be where we are... More

"Decent"

Current Employee - Digital Service Executive in Coventry, England
    Current Employee - Digital Service Executive in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are class, development opportunities are there if you take your job seriously, lots of overtime potential, interesting future for the business. Wage isn't too bad.

The takeover from Shell looks to offer good expansion going forward.

Cons

Employee benefits - it's hard to see a serious long term career being built where there's such a poor pension (government minimum legal requirements), no maternity/paternity pay nor sick pay. No bonus' for either personal performance nor company performance. All we can seem to offer our employees in recruitment is free fruit on a Friday and some very minor discounts off some shops e.g. 4% off Tesco.

Employee retention - The turnover of staff seems to be very high, although I don't know the actual %. We're losing very good staff in all areas of the business, potentially for the above reasons?

Advice to Management

The cons that I mention make it feel like this company can only be a stepping stone, as I know I can't work here if/when I have a child and if I want to take my pension seriously I'd need to look elsewhere in the coming years.

Ideally I don't want to leave, as I am developing well and want the company to be successful but can't gamble on my future. Please put serious consideration into retaining staff, with what some see as basic employee benefits.

20 Mar 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review. It's great that like so many of our other reviews, our people are top of your list of pros, along with our development opportunities. We launched First Perks, our... More

6. "Beware of the recuitment lies"

I worked at First Utility full-time

Pros

It's not the worst paying contact centre

6 weeks of training

Cons

Was advised by HR during interview, induction and training process that we would be working 1 saturday in 6, when it was in fact every other weekend.
    This was the same for late shifts.

The company has very little benefits, no maternity etc

Management often have little knowledge of the actual role.

Sales incentive poor

Lack of parking

Lack of progression available

Management and HR lack understanding of employment law and questions can take days to be answered.

Different departments have different rules and policies.

Advice to Management

Ensure your team managers have sufficient training and knowledge in the area they're managing.

"Great job, however...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warwick, West Midlands, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have no faults with my team. Extremely helpful & always there whenever there’s that one difficult situation. The team leader always gives feedback on how I should perform better which I always take on board.

Cons

I have two illnesses on where I am unable to walk long distances & facilities won’t adapt to my needs. They are incapable of knowing what a disability is & because of this I have to suffer. The operations manger isn’t very staff friendly & instead of showing staff the right way of doing the job he’d rather humiliate you & make you feel small. You are unable to progress here & instead of moving up the ladder you can only move sideways.

Advice to Management

Look into helping your staff progress better, many good staff have left this employment because you’ve failed them.

13 Feb 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I'm really pleased to hear you mention how helpful and supportive your team are. It's also great to hear your positive feedback on your manager's... More

8. "New Start New Beginnings"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England

I have been working at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast moving, engaging environment whereby the team is very welcoming.

Cons

Other than contact centre roles, Induction last a morning with no further arrangements in place by line manager as an enabler. Further meetings arranged by myself.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of new starters to roles in wider business, ensuring a plan of induction is in place at least..

23 Jan 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your 5-star review. Fantastic to hear your first impressions have been the engaging and welcoming environment we're proud of. Inductions for volume roles in customer services... More

"Great place to work"

I have been working at First Utility full-time

Pros

Open to new technology. Nice people to work with.

Cons

Benefits are at a minimal level.

23 Jan 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your review and the title as a summary of your thoughts. We're really proud that our people feature high on the list of pros for our colleagues who share their thoughts. We offer... More

10. "Great company with great people"

I have been working at First Utility full-time

Pros

High paced, modern working environment with some excellent leaders. Internal development of colleagues is high on the agenda with a culture of looking out for the customer and each other.

Also a Tech led business, which makes you feel like you work for more than just an average energy company.

Firstperks allows colleagues to save money on everything from Christmas shopping to the next holiday away, 25 days holiday and competitive salaries.

Cons

Pension/Paternity/Maternity meets minimum statutory requirement

Advice to Management

We lose too many good people due to restrictive pay increase policies when applying for internal vacancies.

23 Jan 2018 – Head of Talent

Thanks very much for your 5-star review! It's great to hear you mention our excellent leadership and the importance we place on internal development. We certainly wouldn't be where we are today... More