FirstPort "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

FirstPort Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated 1 Jul 2019

4.0
FirstPort Chief Executive Nigel Howell
Nigel Howell
Pros
  • "FirstPort have been very supportive to me with work through the difficult time I am currently facing(in 23 reviews)

• "It's a positive place to work with great people(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are lots of challenges and the business is very complex but as long as you are up for the challenge then there really are no Cons(in 5 reviews)

• "Development managers of retirement blocks can feel overwhelmed with the ever increasing list of things to they have to do and take responsibility for(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "A company that is going places"

I have been working at FirstPort full-time for more than a year

Pros

FirstPort as a business has gone through some major changes in recent times. The vision, passion and drive are visible from the top down and it's exciting to be a part of something that is changing so significantly. Management are very visible and very approachable. There are opportunities there to be taken. It's a positive place to work with great people.

Cons

Sometimes certain things can taken a little longer to achieve due to processes but these are being addressed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

FirstPort2017-07-07
  2. "Friendly colleagues"

Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at FirstPort full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Staff turnover is high

FirstPort2019-07-01
  3. "Starting to live the values of the organisation"

Current Employee - Business Systems Manager in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at FirstPort full-time for less than a year

Pros

FirstPort has a great set of values and the organisation is moving towards living them on a daily basis. It is moving from being heavily siloed to starting to feel like one organisation which gets better results faster. It is a great place to work, challenging and fulfilling. Great people all around.

Cons

Having so many people scattered around the whole length of the country makes it very challenging to standardise any processes company wide.

Advice to Management

Focus on standard processes across the board, across the brands, not just within brands or support functions.

FirstPort2018-03-23
  4. "A disconnected organisation suffering under internal politics and mediocre managers"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at FirstPort

Pros

Some great people who make things work despite the lack of clarity in who does what.

Cons

Good people get overloaded with work while skivers, including managers, play politics. Some glaring problems that are ignored by senior managers who seem scared to report them to the CFO.

Advice to Management

Spend some time with the people who work with your customers and suppliers and find out what is really going wrong. You don't need consultants, just ask around! Then agree roles, responsibilities and accountabilities. While the apprentice schemes is good, cash flow management is very poor. FP lacks effective management and is not a company that I would invest in!

FirstPort2018-01-24
  5. "Working for FirstPort"

Current Employee - Resourcing Manager in London, England

I have been working at FirstPort full-time for less than a year

Pros

FirstPort are an extremely supportive company with great people who genuinely care about the business and in turn the staff who work for them. Competitive salaries, actively look to promote from within with good training opportunities to grow within the role. Excellent E Learning courses, that really boost knowledge and are fun to do - really enjoying my FirstPort experience

Cons

I can't honestly say that I have found any yet!

Advice to Management

None

FirstPort2017-07-04
  6. "From the Royal Navy to Property Management"

Current Employee - Regional Property Manager in London, England

I have been working at FirstPort full-time for less than a year

Pros

The process of leaving the Royal Navy after 23 years + is a daunting one, often us type of people tend to stick with what we know. In my case I had a number of offers in the IT development/communication and operations type jobs in a number of companies so why FirstPort? It was an easy decision as it was evident during the interview process that I felt wanted, challenged in a new career, my soft skills were interchangeable, the values of the company were similar to my own values but above all else I could see opportunities to learn new skills even at 40 with a company that invests in its people and is willing to take a chance in recruiting from outside of the box. Working for FirstPort is very enjoyable, a company very much on an upwards trajectory, winning new business and challenging the norm - Great people and great customers.

Cons

A clearer online directory of who does what, a large company yes but a friendly company once you can find the right person to speak with.

Advice to Management

We need to keep learning and be honest with what we do great and also what we don't do great - involve the residents at every stage. Transparency and our values will step us apart from our rivals. The willingness to do more than the basics should be the norm not the exception.

FirstPort2017-06-06
  7. "My first year at FirstPort"

in Luton, East of England, England

I have been working at FirstPort

Pros

The most frantic and frenetic pace but also the company with the biggest desire for change. Mostly great people, but all of them enjoyable to work with

Cons

Unfortunately there are two types of people here; those who have been here for more than 5 years and everyone else! The veterans don't like change and I regularly hear "but this is how we've always done it" or "it used to be sonics better"

Advice to Management

Focus on change. Focus on a single cohesive vision. Get middle management to deliver that single vision!

FirstPort2016-07-02