Fletchers Solicitors Employee Reviews about "fletchers"

Updated Jan 22, 2021

Found 8 of over 120 reviews

4.8
Fletchers Solicitors CEO Alex Hatchman
Alex Hatchman
Pros
  • "Flexi time and bonus schemes are good(in 10 reviews)

• "I have had 2 promotions since working here for just under 2 years there are lots of opportunities to progress and management are eager to help you(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There is no cons with Fletchers(in 8 reviews)

• "Haven't come across any to mention so far(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Law

Join the conversation on

Law

4m

an

Associate Attorney

It seems partners are much more flexible with associates who have kids than with those who don’t. If it’s okay for my colleague with a kid to leave at 5 pm and log on later, why isn’t that the same for me (no kids)? My obligations might be different, but I still have a life and want to be able to do certain things, like catch that evening workout class or cook dinner for my partner. As you can probably tell, my firm is operating 100% in person. There is no point here — I’m just whining.

3,320

405 Comments

Law

47.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/law/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Fletchers Solicitors~825067
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "fletchers"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Probation Period- Passed

Jan 22, 2021 - Junior Litigation Executive in Manchester, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very friendly, very welcoming, determined to see their employees succeed.

Cons

There is no cons with Fletchers

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Flexibility and Fletchers' progressive attitude allows a great work/life balance

Dec 10, 2020 - Solicitor in Southport, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Brilliant progression opportunities, I have qualified within the firm & moved roles numerous times. 2. Flexibility such as condensed hours & the new home-working allows those with other commitments to work full-time & progress where they may otherwise be unable to 3. The staff are great, I have made some life-long friends & social events (pre-covid) are always really well attended and good fun and the vast majority of managers and senior staff are really approachable, genuine & happy to help. 4. Feedback is taken on board & the company are always looking for new ways to improve including seeking staff feedback.

Cons

1. Having worked in different departments, I have had many different experiences of life at Fletchers, some much more positive than others. There is the possibility to get lost in the crowd if you are in a large team and new, depending upon different management. 2. While bonus payments boost salary, there can be long gaps between pay rises however they tend to be fairly large and fair increases when received & generally an annual 'cost of living' increase is awarded each year.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Approach with caution

Aug 12, 2020 - RTA Team Member in Southport, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Outstanding, innovative I.T. department, some really talented people across departments. Development is something the company does well- there are opportunities for training sponsored by the company

Cons

Lack of support from management, a toxic and cliquey environment. Culture of blame. Unprofessional-ism and hostility from some management It has taken me a while to summon the words to write this review. I left Fletchers with my confidence at an all time low, and anxiety at an all time high- I thought I was the problem, until I started working for a different company and found that without the poor environment, I was able to thrive. The company has it's core values- Trust, Customer, Performance, Development and Innovation. Trust is none existent. you will receive aggressively worded emails from some management towards the end of the month if the target is not right. You will be micromanaged- the managers do not trust you to work as an adult, and will berate you and speak to you like a child. If you have a problem with your manager and go to HR, they will tell your manager exactly what you said, and your manager will bring you into a meeting to tell you off for not approaching them- very few of the managers are approachable in the first place. It is an open plan office, and I often heard managers talking poorly about team members, using their full names so everyone knew exactly who was ''in trouble''. The Customer value is a difficult one. I worked alongside some really great, competent people who struggled because of the high caseloads and poor case files. it is difficult to give great customer service if you are swamped and burnt out, no matter how good your intentions are. Performance is all that matters to management at all levels- of course, this is a business and they have to perform well to survive. The problem is the all stick and no carrot approach. To perform well in a pressure cooker environment like that is beyond difficult. Development - see pros, although this massively depends on whether you survive the work culture. Innovation- Also see pros- The I.T. department have some of the best people I have worked with, although it is clear that a few bad eggs make their lives very difficult too.

1 person found this review helpful

Director of People

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry to hear that there were aspects of your time at Fletchers that did not meet your expectations. We take team members' views very seriously and both our survey data and informal feedback on how people feel is overwhelmingly positive - but we won't ever take that for granted. We've worked hard on supporting team members' mental health. If there is anything about your time at Fletchers that you would like to discuss confidentially, please do get in touch. I wish you all the very best in your new role.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for.

Jul 30, 2019 - Medical Records Clerk in Southport, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bonus Scheme, Social Gatherings. Fresh Fruit, Breakfasts.

Cons

I haven't come across a down side to working at Fletchers.

Director of People

Thanks for the positive review: I hope you continue to enjoy your time with us!

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Medical Negligence Department - Former Employee of 5 years

Mar 8, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Southport, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

1) Fruit - Daily basket delivered 2) ‘C Suite’ Directors - Nice people 3) A flurry of social events - (Which can made horrendously uncomfortable for you to attend if you’ve ever raised negative points about work)

Cons

I have never worked for any other department in the firm and therefore, do not believe all of the below points apply to the firm as a whole (unless otherwise stated). 1 - Blatant favouritism To get anywhere in Fletchers, hard work and commitment to your files and assisting other Fee Earners won’t help you achieve this (as you would expect in a profession workplace within the legal sector). Instead, it’s expected of you to ‘raise your profile’ by joining social committees and standing in the kitchen one Friday a month to serve sausage butties to other staff members. Do ridiculous things like this, you’ll pass the paper sift stage if you go for a promotion. If your face doesn’t fit, you should know within the first 4 - 5 months as your Dept. Manager won’t bother to even greet you of a morning. 2 - Unrealistic targets The amount of stressed out Fee Earners in the dept. is depressing. The targets set every month are only picked up on and excessively chased in the last 2 - 3 working days of the month, 1 - 2 times a day. Please stop holding these ‘morale meetings’ with staff members just to pretend things are being done to help them. 3 & 4 - Lack of loyalty to long serving employees. Failure to act on obvious cases of bullying and isolated staff members You could work yourself into the ground at Fletchers and building a good rapport with your team. Staying loyal to the firm and working hard for a good reputation can be completely vanish if they employ someone of a supervisory/managerial position who decides to take a personal disliking to you. You would like to think a place of employment with a bullying policy would actually implement it. Try raising it to your manager and/or Head of Department, you’ll find yourself in a worse position where your work is now targeted. You could be the most dedicated person who works really hard and regardless of what you’ve done for the department in the past, what you do now and what minor thing you could’ve possibly done to land yourself in a position they can find you in what they class as ‘wrong’ (example: glancing at your phone once to check a text from your GP surgery about an appointment), Department Managers will approve of a poorly drafted plan set by HR for anyone of the most minor supervisory position to initiate and cause staff an unimaginable stress, anxiety and unhappiness. Another point, you may as well bang your head against a wall as nobody will help you once you’re in that position, regardless of the reason you’ve been put there. If you’re not classed as senior or above (senior fee earners and higher), don’t expect to be listened to in any way. 5 - Bonus Structure The system is appalling. They call it a Plan, Do, My Review and if you want to get the smallest sniff of a bonus, you need to be scored as an exceptional, high, good or progressing performer. Each score carries a different percentage of how much bonus you’ll get (based on the poor salary you’re on). If new to the firm or in the probationary period of a new role, you’d expect to automatically be given a score of PP (progressing performer), which I can understand. In the recent reviews, why would Department Managers class at least 4 of the longer serving Assistant Fee Earners and at least 2 of the Junior Fee Earners as PPs? Especially when they’ve all scored GPs and HPs in previous reviews? It’s because targets are changed and set for you to complete conveniently 3-4 weeks before reviews are set to take place. These targets set last minute and are not within your job description or even within reach. You’ll be given access to higher pay grade tasks if they like you and/or trust you to complete work not in your job description. It’s also worth advising if you query your poor score, expect all of your files to be picked apart and expect to be put on a Performance Management programme. Another example to show why speaking up is not recommended. 6 - Strong ‘parent and child’ mentality This point speaks for itself really. Nobody is treated like an adult in what’s supposed to be a professional environment. You’re watched like a hawk at every point of the day. There’s no trust in any of the employees whatsoever. I often found during my time at Fletchers that the only issues staff had where when issues were pointlessly raised by management. If you go by your everyday job quietly and do it well, you can always rely on someone in a Senior Fee Earners position or higher to cause an issue for you to ensure they hit one of their targets for their PDMRs. Expect to be made an example of at every possible point.

8 people found this review helpful

Director of People

Thank you for your review: I hope your new role is going well. It's great that you identify a number of good things about working for Fletchers but I'm obviously disappointed that there were aspects of working here that you weren’t happy with. We value and take the views of each team member seriously - one of the reasons we encourage Glassdoor feedback is because it is open and honest, and we cannot delete or change anything we disagree with. I'm unable to respond to every point you have made in detail here, but there are a number of issues which I would like to clarify. We operate a fair recruitment process for internal and external candidates alike. We take allegations of potential bullying very seriously and have demonstrated our absolute commitment to tackling any such behaviour. Our Mental Health Champions do very valuable work and I have personally seen the positive impact that they have made in a number of situations. Our cross-company Listening Groups produce clear, time-bound actions which are shared with everyone and reviewed at every meeting. We have made significant changes because of the feedback we get from team members through these forums and others. If you would like to discuss your experiences further, I'd be very happy to meet with you personally on a confidential basis to discuss the issues you have raised.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Assistant fee earner

May 15, 2018 - Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free fruit Flexi time Reasonable with medical appointments etc Great chances for progression (although this doesn’t matter as the salaries are shocking) Extra holidays the longer you’ve worked there

Cons

Appalling salaries Micro-management - ridiculous emails sent about why targets haven’t been hit when it is impossible Unrealistic targets Ridiculous bonus scheme with high expectations to get the bare minimum The people team “try” to listen but don’t do anything about the problems people are experiencing In the past 2 years I have worked at fletchers I would not recommend to anyone. I think they have the potential to be a good firm and all for the people but they aren’t. I can’t fault the directors, whenever I bump in to them Ed, Stephen, Alex and Rob are all lovely and I enjoy talking to them. I think the biggest problem is the management have too much power and enjoy putting pressure / misery on their team.

3 people found this review helpful

Director of People

Thanks for your feedback. We're working hard to improve the experience of working at Fletchers for all our team members. We benchmark our salaries regularly against similar companies in our sector and believe them to be competitive, especially taking into account the additional benefits we offer. If you would like to discuss your feedback further, I'd be happy to meet with you confidentially.

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

This is not an awesome company to work for. The view of a seasoned staff member.

Feb 18, 2018 - Fee Earner in Southport, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Sociable environment. 2. Reasonable IT systems. 3. More training than you can shake a stick at. 4. Good steady flow of new claims. 5. Relatively open communication regarding financial performance. 6. Reasonable career opportunities for school leavers and very junior lawyers.

Cons

1. Incredible levels of micromanagement. It is very difficult to run your case load without considerable interference and almost bi-daily re prioritisation to account for the needs of the business. 2. Oppressive management chasers. Often bi daily regarding 1. Number of Letters of Claim sent. 2. Settlement. 3. Service. 4. Interim payment requests on account of costs. 5. 3. "Predictive" Cost instruction sheets 4. Nearly impossible targets and unrelenting emails regarding how possible they should be. 5. Low pay. Fletchers are quite possibly the poorest paying large serious injury firm in the UK. Pay rises are as common as common as lunar landings. 6. A bonus that largely, only rewards those who have a penchant for sleepless nights. 7. Unpalatable, overt favouritism. 8. Defensive middle management. 9. We no longer hold the Times best 100 companies to work for award nor the Best companies to work for award. So that will need to come off the CV. Management believe This relates to the new bonus structure. Rather than the list of issues laid out in this section..... 10. Access to pre action and or litigated work depending on your role is very very very limited if at all available. Outside of Fletchers this leaves your CV with a gaping hole to explain away. 11. Disappearing negative glassdoor reviews. 12. A system of management that almost vilifies those who do not act in accordance with the Fletchers view of what a "Fletcherian" is. 13. A system of onerous management that very closely guards whether expert medical evidence is appropriate before a Letter of Claim can be drafted and whether a limitation moratorium can be sought. We all understand proportionality and realise you want results fast. But you are placing pressure on your staff to perform in what can quickly become a very difficult circumstances. Circumstances which do not place pressure on Defendants, as you so keenly point out. 14. Actually the new bonus structure does need a mention, but it is the lesser of the above evils. To be rated 'adequate' you need to hit incomprehensibly high criteria. Criteria which continuously change, often very shortly before 6 monthly reviews, which determine the level of bonus you will achieve. The criteria are not smart targets. The system is demotivational. I do not know of one colleague who considers the current bonus system anything other than farcical.

12 people found this review helpful

Director of People

Thank you for your review. It's great that you have identified a number of good things about working for Fletchers. I'm obviously disappointed that there are aspects of working here that you're clearly not happy with. I'm sorry that you haven't felt able to discuss those openly with either your manager or the People team. If you would like to discuss your thoughts further, I'd be happy to meet with you personally on a confidential basis to discuss the issues you raise. Whilst I'm unable to go into every point in detail here, we made significant changes to our business in the past year to ensure it is match-fit for the future. Whilst we're disappointed to have recently lost our two-star Sunday Times Top 100 rating this year, note that we continue to be rated as one-star ("Very Good") and we continue to be rated as Gold by Investors in People. As part of our general drive to put Fletcherians at the heart of our business, we are about to launch a major listening process, and would welcome you participating in this. We value and take the views of each team member seriously - one of the reasons we encourage Glassdoor feedback is because it is open and honest, and we cannot delete or change anything we disagree with. I guarantee that we take the experience of our team members working at Fletchers very seriously and we will continue to work hard and do all we can to continually improve this. We would love it if you worked with us to become part of the solution. Tim Scott Director of People

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great firm to work for

Dec 16, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fletchers is a great place to work if you are training and want a career in law. You will be supported and developed from the moment you arrive. There are no "big egos" here at Fletchers, the Directors are friendly and approachable and the social aspect is fantastic, with clubs and events going on all the time. The firm provides flexi-time which means a great work-life balance.

Cons

I genuinely can't think of any cons at the moment! Fletchers really is a great place to work!

1 person found this review helpful

Head of People

Thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion, this helps us to keep doing what we do well, better! We'll make sure we don't give you any reason to find a 'con' and I hope you continue to enjoy your career with us.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 English Reviews