Flight Centre Travel Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
Flight Centre Travel Group CEO Graham "Skroo" Turner
Graham "Skroo" Turner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work hard play hard company ethos" (in 44 reviews)

• "You're rewarded for the work you put in - work hard play hard" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to manage" (in 105 reviews)

• "Have to work from home or long hours at the store to be profitable" (in 119 reviews)

1. "I Love Mondays"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, Perks, Flexibility, Uncapped Earnings, Great Management

Cons

Low base but there is every opportunity to make decent money

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

13 Sep 2018 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Do get in touch with the Careers team for any advice should the occasion arise.

2. "I love my job and the company :)"

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Great co workers and fantastic perks. You get out what you put in. Over 5 years with the company and hopefully many more. With our new aim of providing holidays and an all round experience i have found it easier to invest in the company and what we do. I love the experiences we sell and the feedback... Trust Pilot is a testament to the fantastic work of everyone at the moment.

Cons

I dont agree with their approach to Fast Tracking people, this is based on where you went to university, not your actual ability or potential. Also, working in Product Support/Infinity was one of the worst experiences. The head of Product and Air constantly cut our wages and changed our targets every 3 months blaming things like Brexit. Basically they were capping our wages constantly. Also hiring non experienced people and the workload falling back on us. Stay away from Product, especially Air. You are treated like dirt and spoken to like a child.

Advice to Management

The head of air is on SWOT so nothing will change. He favours certain people and does not consider or ever engage with his staff

3. "Amazing Company to work for!"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group part-time

Pros

I worked with Flight Centre on and off for about 7 years. They are great with taking time off, good incentives and great team environment to work in. Lots of supportive co-workers to help you out, the people are everything!

Cons

As I was leaving, the pay wasn't that great (due to being slow for our store) and I was not happy with the new pricebeat policy that came into place, as I felt I was doing lots of pricebeats every month, I was now getting penalised for it. The pay can be tough, the hours are long and customers can get demanding. As long as you're good at time management, you will be fine!

4. "Team Leader - various roles"

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for FC for 7 years across various departments and countries. The culture does vary a little depending on where you are but one massive pro from my time there is the friends I made. I am still in touch with some of the people I started with 9 years ago and some of my very best friends I have met at FC. It can certainly feel like a family if you need it to.

Another pro is the ability to move between departments and countries. I worked in both retail and product across several countries.

Some great perks and the pension scheme is decent

Cons

Although I always felt I earned a reasonable wage (I qualified for global so I was certainly at the top of my game for a while) the goal posts for targets were constantly moved. Whenever we started to do too well and make a decent profit, suddenly everything would change and that would all be wiped out. The final straw of this was having to take almost a £20k paycut and being fobbed off with excuses.

As a team leader, I felt very responsible for the people in my team (this was not always the case, certainly in retail where some TLs would sell their own mother to make profit). When they were not hitting their targets and the commission structure was changed, they were barely making enough to cover rent, this is just totally unacceptable and cruel.

It can be a little cult like.

The boozing culture is crazy. As much as I loved it at certain times, being fed free booze on a regular basis at buzz nights its not great. I believe they have actually done away with buzz nights now.

Once you get to a certain level, if you are not 'in the club' then you will get no further. There are certain people who will always get promoted, regardless of managerial talent, because they have been on the fast track program. There is also a crew of people at the top who are all mates and will pull strings for each other and no one else. To the point where there are people in high roles that they are woefully underqualified for but they have the right friends.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the goal posts - it is the most demoralizing thing you can do to a person.

5. "Manager,"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very social work place, I have made friends for life there. Good pay on commission and bonuses. Excellent training and development. Huge company, promotes from within and chance to move around. Open management. New, innovative, young. I had a fantastic time with FC.

Cons

Lots of work at times, not helped by long winded systems and lots of paperwork. IT is slow and unrelaible. If you are in leisure lots of WEEKENDS! Even though it is arguably very quiet in lots of shops and not a lot of business to be done. Long hours (9 hour days, plus staying late for any urgent task etc, and there are a lot), not much chance for flexible work or working from home. “Enforced” fun in form of Buzz Nights, not everyone wants to get drunk on a Wednesday night. Some internal politics. And sometimes a bit “childlish”/“school like” (silly meetings, quizes, gimmicks... not for everyone)

Advice to Management

Not as such, I believe the things I listed in my cons were being addressed as I left.

"BDM"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Really friendly social and supporting

Cons

Hard to earn commision as it is depending on flight prices and account managers

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but see if Bdm's can get a better commission rate that is not just depending on the account managers

"Senior International Travel consultant"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Great culture and can make loads on commission if you are good at selling

Cons

Too many social things for me.

"Know what you're getting into..."

Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader
    Former Employee - Assistant Team Leader

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teaches you good sales techniques
    Good team spirit (sometimes!) though often this is fostered more by a bunker mentality than anything else
    Buzz nights, famils & global
    Potential to earn good money if things go right for you

Cons

Firstly - I'm going to be mostly negative but I should say first and foremost that the company is not all bad, in 18 months there I worked as a Travel Consultant and then Assistant Team Leader. I attended numerous social events, made good friends and did go on an all expenses trip abroad (I was lucky and unusual in this respect). However I've been spurred into writing this by the bad publicity the company has had over the last week or so over in Australia and its response to said publicity. Even though the current bad press is in relation to the Aus rather than UK side (though the UK has had its fair share in the past as well) - the general negative sentiments from past consultants are in my view, warranted.

I would say the company suffers from high turnover because a lot of people turn up thinking the job will be about travel. It is not. This is a typical sales job, travel is simply the "product" and is treated as such. I would agree with the review below that the pressures of the job can affect your mental health and that there are environments that can be described as bullying. This is not unique to Flight Centre but is typical of most sales environments where people are under pressure. As I mentioned above, the Flight Centre management make an active effort to keep people happy (buzz nights, famil trips ect) but ultimately they are also responsible for an environment in which people are under pressure to hit targets (fine this is typical sales) but to do so with often questionable tactics of inflating prices and taking advantage of ill informed clients.

The workload is overwhelming, speaking from personal experience (though I was far from unique) I was often doing 1-2 hours of overtime per day. Others who I trained with were much the same. What I ended up with was a working week of roughly 60 hours, not the worst I've come across but not great either.

I'm still in touch with the eight people I trained with, two years down the line only two of them are still at FC but I would say that these were the two that from the start knew and embraced the fact they were taking on a sales role - in fact I think they were both from a previous sales environment. FC like to market themselves as a fun place to work (you'll find them constantly referencing that they appear in the top 100 places to work - this is because signing that survey is pretty much shoved down your throat by repeated management emails), I can say categorically that in my experience and the vast majority of people I knew, it is not an enjoyable job. It is however punctuated with the odd fun thing that keeps you there that little bit longer...

Advice to Management

Remove commission pay out based on additional marking up and replace with a system based on rewarding TTV with an in-written margin, much the same as Journeys and Escapes.

9. "Travel Consultant"

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Great company, lots of rewards, fun people, travel discounts,

Cons

Long Hours sometimes, not enough opportunity to grow, commission very up and down,

13 Sep 2018 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for taking time to leave a review - if you need any careers advice, do get in touch with the team

10. "Fun place to work but hard to earn enough, especially at the start"

Current Employee - Business Travel Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Travel Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very good team spirit, fun environment to work in, many events and incentives, feeling of being responsible for your own business

Cons

base salary too low, decent commission can only be earned after approx. 1-2 years on the job

Advice to Management

guaranteed commission for the first half year at least

20 Jul 2018 – Recruitment Marketer

Hi, thank you for your review. Great that you enjoy the spirit and environment, as well as the responsibility for your own business.
    With regards the advice to management. They have listened and... More