Flight Centre Travel Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Flight Centre Travel Group CEO Graham "Skroo" Turner
Graham "Skroo" Turner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • working weekends is hard with work life balance (in 96 reviews)

• Long hours if you want to earn big (in 100 reviews)

1. "Great Entry Level Job into the Travel Agency"

Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Team Leader in London, England

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge company so endless opportunities. I started working for Flight Centre in Australia and have since transferred over to London. The company owns so many brands that there's something for everyone looking to start their career in the travel industry. Very big emphasis on social gatherings, from buzz nights, to Friday beers, to Global.

Cons

Promotions happen fast, so oftentimes find under qualified management OR managers that are excellent salespeople but not as great as management. You find that everywhere I suppose.

Also find that they oversell the dream when it comes to salary. There are some very successful people in the company but it typically takes 1.5 years to really grow your client base and see the growth in your pay.
    One last thing- as there are lots of little teams, reviews can vary depending on who you work with. Overall, the company does its best to breed a positive work environment.

14 Dec 2017 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of working for us. We'll take on-board the comments regarding promotions and feed that back to the coaching and development team.

"Good sales foundation. Poor long term"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

- Great grounding in sales.
    - Good training programme.
    - Decent travel benefits

Cons

- Clique culture
    - Commission is poor

Advice to Management

Focus on managers who can manage and don't just have good sales figures

"Not for me"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

There are a few great people at Flight Centre - people who care about their role and their teams.

Cons

However.... the culture at Flight Centre is completely unique and most people coming into the organisation who have worked elsewhere really struggle with it.

There is the idea of Family/Village/Tribe which sounds good in theory. In reality it generally pits shops and regions against each other - it's strange when you have two or more retail units in the same town which are competing with each other!

The back end IT systems are always falling over- which makes life very hard for front line retail staff to make any bookings there and then. It takes literally hours to do anything.

The culture is set up for people who are just starting out at work, so mandatory "buzz nights" with huge amounts of booze (paid for by suppliers) and shots with an expectation to get lashed and fall over.

Flight Centre really pushes to promote within which is great for career development but you do end up with people in roles for which they have not necessarily been formally trained for nor are they best equipped for . So those people coming in from other organisations spend a lot of time questioning why on earth things are done in whatever way. And Flight Centre is not that interested when those "why" questions are asked or suggestions for change are made.

Advice to Management

Think about the culture you have - it's not the 1980s anymore.

5. "Only technology lets this company down!"

Current Employee - ATL in London, England
    Current Employee - ATL in London, England

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great senior managment, great work ethos, put customers first. We have an amazing product to sell our clients, and we are swaying away from "cheap flights" which is awesome news!

Cons

"simultaneous changes" are ruining my life!! Systems are very ridgid and you need the brain capacity of a super computer to remember all the passwords needed. Nothing speaks to each other, and if you are booking a holiday (Or Journey) and its got a lot of transfers, you spend about an hour of your day, making the quote flow in order... Amadeus is slow and EVERY day something goes wrong, or something breaks.

Advice to Management

Invest some decent money in your selling systems.... You can all Trailfinders or any of our competitors and get a multi centre quote on the call... With us it take forever to piece it together, then get "simultaneous changes" and have to start from scratch... no cool

13 Nov 2017 – Recruitment Marketer

Hello there and thank you for leaving a review of being an Assistant Manager at Flight Centre. We appreciate the comments on the problems of our IT systems and are currently investing in our IT team... More

6. "Great!"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, enthusiastic company, with massive potential to move up and sideways throughout the company

Cons

Commission projections very dependant on individual and location, but there are ways to assist and this is sales!

Advice to Management

keep doing well

13 Nov 2017 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for your review of working for Flight Centre. It is encouraging to hear that you're enjoying working here. Do remember that the careers team are available for any queries or advice... More

"Dishonest practices"

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good travel opportunities
    - Fun colleagues (generally)

Cons

- The first 'tip' I was given was that if a customer asked us to price match a fare, I should reserve any seats available in the price bracket they had found, so that I could say "sorry, that fare isn't available online anymore so we won't match it - I can sell you this WAY MORE EXPENSIVE seat though!". It felt creepy and dishonest and if that's the kind of thing we need to do to turn a profit in this industry, then FC is dead in the water.

- Awards are pointless.

Advice to Management

Please don't respond to this saying that it's not true - this is an ACTIVELY ENCOURAGED practice at FC and people should know.

8. "Nice"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Good culture
    Fun buzz nights
    Good people

Cons

Low pay
    Week end work
    High staff turnover

9. "Great if you're willing to put in the hours!"

Former Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in London, England

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group (More than a year)

Pros

- Good management
    - Incredible benefits
    - Commission on top of salary
    - Travel opportunity

Cons

- Long hours if you want to earn big
    - Customers can be huge pains

30 Oct 2017 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of Flight Centre. It is great to see that you were happy with the management, salary, benefits and travel opportunities whilst working for us and we... More

10. "Our company is our people! This is genuinely true."

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

I love the opportunities to develop and progress within the business. Flight Centre really cares about their people and the support networks are unlike any other business I have worked in.

Cons

There are down days but not due to the company. Just when you have a difficult situation to deal with. Luckily there are plenty of people around you to help.

11. "Rewarded for the work you do in a fun and enjoyable, fast paced work enviroment."

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Rewards and recognition for outstanding achievements. Incentive based salary model with uncapped earning potential... you have to work for it though!
    Great company benefits and work events of offer as well.

Cons

Sometimes communication for direction of company could be better.