Flight Centre Travel Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Flight Centre Travel Group CEO Graham "Skroo" Turner
Graham "Skroo" Turner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work hard play hard company ethos" (in 45 reviews)

• "You're rewarded for the work you put in - work hard play hard" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be challenging" (in 111 reviews)

• "Long hours with no overtime paid" (in 126 reviews)

"I Love Mondays"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, Perks, Flexibility, Uncapped Earnings, Great Management

Cons

Low base but there is every opportunity to make decent money

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

13 Sep 2018 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Do get in touch with the Careers team for any advice should the occasion arise.

"Frontline sales manager - employee of 5 years - overall a bit of a mixed bag"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very Sociable. Made friends for life working for the company.
    Lots of opportunity for progression if you're good. You can also move around easily.
    Customers often got very good customer service, even if they were paying a price for it.
    Training is way better than when I started 5 years ago. Previously it was two weeks then you were thrown into the job. Now there is 12 months of ongoing training.
    'Educational' trips - I went on multiple free trips and they were incredible. They are paid for by local tourist boards though - don't be fooled into thinking the company are paying for them.
    Very good commission structure - industry leading
    Good sick leave policy and got rid of awful uniform
    Global Gathering - enormous annual parties for top 20% performers with A list speakers - Bill Clinton!
    Probably the softest form of sales you can do. It's easy to talk about travel and leisure inquiries are all inbound.
    Cycle to work scheme, basic health cover, standard stuff that most companies offer these days.
    Very LGBT friendly and good support for any personal circumstances that may arise.
    Although there is constant change, often it is for good.
    They are aware staff retention is poor so will try hard to keep you if you're good, except when it comes to salary negotiation.

Cons

Mistakes costing money to fix come out your wages. Their policy is that if you make money you can also lose it.
    Some managers behaved like dictators and treated people awfully.
    Unlike lots of sales jobs where you can move on once the sale is closed, you have to do the aftersales care so you are still working for the commission you earned 6 months ago.
    Weird policies like there being a 'One Best Way' to do everything. They actually employ people called One Best Way Experts who's sole job is to ensure everything is done the same way. Also the cult like nature comes from their Family, Village, Tribe policy. There is even a book about it - Google it, I'm not making it up!
    Decisions and markups are rarely in the best interest of customers. Senior management turn a blind eye to customers taken advantage off. This has got better but still not where it needs to be.
    There was zero management training until very recently so you basically make it up as you go along. The 2 day course that now exists is of limited use.
    Almost everyone who works in the company are former frontline travel agents. Marketing, IT, HR, recruitment, senior leaders, the MD - everyone. It's good that they promote within but this does lead to questions about suitability for certain roles. They would rather recruit from within for a head office role and pay people less than hiring someone external who actually knows about the field.
    The IT is terrible. When I started you had to make your own e-tickets and invoices on Microsoft Word - so amateur. 2 years ago they replaced very good quoting software 'drag and drop' with awful awful software that doesn't work.
    Some of the software is terrible. The accounting software 'Omnis' looks like a throwback to the 90s.
    Although the commission structure is good, the basic wage of 20k is not enough considering they recruit degree educated people working in Central London.
    There are no basic wage pay increases at all. People there 10 years are on the same as those in their first week. No room for negotiation. They lose a lot of people because of this.
    If you're doing exceptionally well, they raise your targets - bad policy
    The job becomes boring and repetitive after a while. I would never have stayed had it not been for promotion and earning more each year
    You have to stay for 6 months after educational trips. This kind of thing made me stay longer than I'd intended
    Too much change, although change can be good it was sometimes unnecessary and made things worse. I remember they changed one policy back and forth about 4 times during my time there.
    Ironically for a travel company, there were lots of rules about holiday. Blackout dates, only one person per store on holiday at any one time, no holiday in January and 2 weeks maximum.
    I'm not sure how many transferable skills I'm come away with. At Flight Centre, you get trained to do your particular job and that's it. There is good opportunity to progress within but to my knowledge many people who leave end up with undesirable jobs.
    The UK MD lost interest in the leisure side of the business and only focuses on the corporate side. This is because the leisure side basically broke even whilst the corporate side made a big profit. That's where they invest the money.

Advice to Management

Try not to make changes quite so often. Think about raising the basic wage after a number of years service. Get rid of iCOS, replace Omnis and bring back Quickdox. People get bored of the job after a few years. Try to think of a way to make the job more varied.

"Travel consultant"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

The possibilty of increasing salary with commission

Cons

Long hours
    Bad team leader
    No career prospects

"Sales Assistant Manager"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Good commission structure for travel. Nice people and some good employee benefits

Cons

Very set in their ways. No review on very low base salary and no reward for length of service

Advice to Management

Value people to help staff retention

14 Jan 2019 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience working with us. Without knowing your location, we cannot respond directly to your feedback however prospective employees in... More

5. "Sales Consultant"

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Great social events with other staff members. Work hard, play hard mentality. Good uncapped commission structure.

Cons

Constant sales pressure to achieve targets. Supportive team environment

14 Jan 2019 – Recruitment Coordinator

It's true that the role as a travel consultant with Flight Centre is a sales and target driven role with performance... More

6. "Nope!!!!"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Met some amazing people
    Summer ball

Cons

Bullies.. the whole company are bullies. If you are not performing well .. well they are not interested in helping you they just want you out! It really affected my mental health! All well and good if you’re good at sales but they barely give you a chance! Horrible company to work for! So glad I got out when I did!

Advice to Management

You’re a bipolar bully. Stop thinking you’re untouchable because you’re not! Your staff come in every day not knowing which side of you they’re going to get and always treading on egg shells around you!

5 Mar 2019 – Recruitment Marketer

Hello. We are unsure which role or country you've worked in but we're deeply concerned that you've experienced bullying and problems with your mental health. It would be helpful to us if you could... More

"A great UK company, as long as you join the cult"

Former Employee - Travel Agent, Then Wholesale in London, England
    Former Employee - Travel Agent, Then Wholesale in London, England

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great travel benefits, employee discounts, evenings out etc. You can make a great salary on commission. Working in the wholesale department gives you a better scope for earning commission. Working for a number of years allows you to build a solid customer base and earn more. Great scope for job mobility throughout the company. Good travel product and decent product training.

Cons

Expected to work hours of overtime without overtime pay (I ended up having to work a minimum of a 50 hours per week). Extremely poor team leader and HR support when a coworker is abusive. Expected to attend all events outside of work hours (averaging minimum of one a week). Expected to be too exuberant, almost obsessive, about the company.

Advice to Management

- Take HR complaints seriously - you lost a top earner because of workplace harassment, choosing to promote the harasser to a position of more power, instead of addressing the issue.
    - Don’t cut the pay of one department to fund the pay rise of another, especially if that initial department is severely overworked. Rather cut the % of commission across the company. It caused a lot of interdepartmental hostility when I was there.
    - Give management more training to cope with employee harassment, as the type I experienced violated the Equality Act 2010.
    - Train team leaders to manage their own team’s hours - the teams which are able to work normal hours are more productive, and employee turnover will be lower if they are not so overworked (leading to a lower financial investment in training, as well as a higher retention of skilled and profitable employees)

"find your tribe"

Current Employee - International Travel Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - International Travel Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you find a team who you work well in then it's the best job in the world! don't be scared to move around

Cons

can be slow enquiries sometimes

Advice to Management

thanks for having my back :)

9. "Flight Centre"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Good people
    Good office
    Liked the job
    Like the product
    Social

Cons

Long hours
    Hard work
    not much progression
    manager had favourites
    Pay

19 Nov 2018 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience working with us. Flight Centre Travel Group has around 40 brands across 90 countries, meaning there are countless opportunities for our... More

10. "I love my job and the company :)"

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Great co workers and fantastic perks. You get out what you put in. Over 5 years with the company and hopefully many more. With our new aim of providing holidays and an all round experience i have found it easier to invest in the company and what we do. I love the experiences we sell and the feedback... Trust Pilot is a testament to the fantastic work of everyone at the moment.

Cons

I dont agree with their approach to Fast Tracking people, this is based on where you went to university, not your actual ability or potential. Also, working in Product Support/Infinity was one of the worst experiences. The head of Product and Air constantly cut our wages and changed our targets every 3 months blaming things like Brexit. Basically they were capping our wages constantly. Also hiring non experienced people and the workload falling back on us. Stay away from Product, especially Air. You are treated like dirt and spoken to like a child.

Advice to Management

The head of air is on SWOT so nothing will change. He favours certain people and does not consider or ever engage with his staff

17 Oct 2018 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for leaving a review about working for Flight Centre. We will pass on your feedback.