Flight Centre Travel Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
Flight Centre Travel Group CEO Graham "Skroo" Turner
Graham "Skroo" Turner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work hard play hard company ethos" (in 45 reviews)

• "You're rewarded for the work you put in - work hard play hard" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be challenging" (in 111 reviews)

• "Long hours and high stress for little pay" (in 125 reviews)

"I Love Mondays"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, Perks, Flexibility, Uncapped Earnings, Great Management

Cons

Low base but there is every opportunity to make decent money

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

13 Sep 2018 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Do get in touch with the Careers team for any advice should the occasion arise.

"Sales Assistant Manager"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Good commission structure for travel. Nice people and some good employee benefits

Cons

Very set in their ways. No review on very low base salary and no reward for length of service

Advice to Management

Value people to help staff retention

14 Jan 2019 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience working with us. Without knowing your location, we cannot respond directly to your feedback however prospective employees in... More

3. "Sales Consultant"

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Great social events with other staff members. Work hard, play hard mentality. Good uncapped commission structure.

Cons

Constant sales pressure to achieve targets. Supportive team environment

14 Jan 2019 – Recruitment Coordinator

It's true that the role as a travel consultant with Flight Centre is a sales and target driven role with performance... More

"A great UK company, as long as you join the cult"

Former Employee - Travel Agent, Then Wholesale in London, England
    Former Employee - Travel Agent, Then Wholesale in London, England

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great travel benefits, employee discounts, evenings out etc. You can make a great salary on commission. Working in the wholesale department gives you a better scope for earning commission. Working for a number of years allows you to build a solid customer base and earn more. Great scope for job mobility throughout the company. Good travel product and decent product training.

Cons

Expected to work hours of overtime without overtime pay (I ended up having to work a minimum of a 50 hours per week). Extremely poor team leader and HR support when a coworker is abusive. Expected to attend all events outside of work hours (averaging minimum of one a week). Expected to be too exuberant, almost obsessive, about the company.

Advice to Management

- Take HR complaints seriously - you lost a top earner because of workplace harassment, choosing to promote the harasser to a position of more power, instead of addressing the issue.
    - Don’t cut the pay of one department to fund the pay rise of another, especially if that initial department is severely overworked. Rather cut the % of commission across the company. It caused a lot of interdepartmental hostility when I was there.
    - Give management more training to cope with employee harassment, as the type I experienced violated the Equality Act 2010.
    - Train team leaders to manage their own team’s hours - the teams which are able to work normal hours are more productive, and employee turnover will be lower if they are not so overworked (leading to a lower financial investment in training, as well as a higher retention of skilled and profitable employees)

"find your tribe"

Current Employee - International Travel Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - International Travel Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you find a team who you work well in then it's the best job in the world! don't be scared to move around

Cons

can be slow enquiries sometimes

Advice to Management

thanks for having my back :)

6. "Flight Centre"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Good people
    Good office
    Liked the job
    Like the product
    Social

Cons

Long hours
    Hard work
    not much progression
    manager had favourites
    Pay

19 Nov 2018 – Recruitment Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience working with us. Flight Centre Travel Group has around 40 brands across 90 countries, meaning there are countless opportunities for our... More

7. "I love my job and the company :)"

I have been working at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time

Pros

Great co workers and fantastic perks. You get out what you put in. Over 5 years with the company and hopefully many more. With our new aim of providing holidays and an all round experience i have found it easier to invest in the company and what we do. I love the experiences we sell and the feedback... Trust Pilot is a testament to the fantastic work of everyone at the moment.

Cons

I dont agree with their approach to Fast Tracking people, this is based on where you went to university, not your actual ability or potential. Also, working in Product Support/Infinity was one of the worst experiences. The head of Product and Air constantly cut our wages and changed our targets every 3 months blaming things like Brexit. Basically they were capping our wages constantly. Also hiring non experienced people and the workload falling back on us. Stay away from Product, especially Air. You are treated like dirt and spoken to like a child.

Advice to Management

The head of air is on SWOT so nothing will change. He favours certain people and does not consider or ever engage with his staff

17 Oct 2018 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for leaving a review about working for Flight Centre. We will pass on your feedback.

8. "Amazing Company to work for!"

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group part-time

Pros

I worked with Flight Centre on and off for about 7 years. They are great with taking time off, good incentives and great team environment to work in. Lots of supportive co-workers to help you out, the people are everything!

Cons

As I was leaving, the pay wasn't that great (due to being slow for our store) and I was not happy with the new pricebeat policy that came into place, as I felt I was doing lots of pricebeats every month, I was now getting penalised for it. The pay can be tough, the hours are long and customers can get demanding. As long as you're good at time management, you will be fine!

17 Oct 2018 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

"Team Leader - various roles"

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for FC for 7 years across various departments and countries. The culture does vary a little depending on where you are but one massive pro from my time there is the friends I made. I am still in touch with some of the people I started with 9 years ago and some of my very best friends I have met at FC. It can certainly feel like a family if you need it to.

Another pro is the ability to move between departments and countries. I worked in both retail and product across several countries.

Some great perks and the pension scheme is decent

Cons

Although I always felt I earned a reasonable wage (I qualified for global so I was certainly at the top of my game for a while) the goal posts for targets were constantly moved. Whenever we started to do too well and make a decent profit, suddenly everything would change and that would all be wiped out. The final straw of this was having to take almost a £20k paycut and being fobbed off with excuses.

As a team leader, I felt very responsible for the people in my team (this was not always the case, certainly in retail where some TLs would sell their own mother to make profit). When they were not hitting their targets and the commission structure was changed, they were barely making enough to cover rent, this is just totally unacceptable and cruel.

It can be a little cult like.

The boozing culture is crazy. As much as I loved it at certain times, being fed free booze on a regular basis at buzz nights its not great. I believe they have actually done away with buzz nights now.

Once you get to a certain level, if you are not 'in the club' then you will get no further. There are certain people who will always get promoted, regardless of managerial talent, because they have been on the fast track program. There is also a crew of people at the top who are all mates and will pull strings for each other and no one else. To the point where there are people in high roles that they are woefully underqualified for but they have the right friends.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the goal posts - it is the most demoralizing thing you can do to a person.

17 Oct 2018 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Flight Centre... we will pass on your comments, suggestions and feedback.

10. "Manager,"

Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at Flight Centre Travel Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very social work place, I have made friends for life there. Good pay on commission and bonuses. Excellent training and development. Huge company, promotes from within and chance to move around. Open management. New, innovative, young. I had a fantastic time with FC.

Cons

Lots of work at times, not helped by long winded systems and lots of paperwork. IT is slow and unrelaible. If you are in leisure lots of WEEKENDS! Even though it is arguably very quiet in lots of shops and not a lot of business to be done. Long hours (9 hour days, plus staying late for any urgent task etc, and there are a lot), not much chance for flexible work or working from home. “Enforced” fun in form of Buzz Nights, not everyone wants to get drunk on a Wednesday night. Some internal politics. And sometimes a bit “childlish”/“school like” (silly meetings, quizes, gimmicks... not for everyone)

Advice to Management

Not as such, I believe the things I listed in my cons were being addressed as I left.

17 Oct 2018 – Recruitment Marketer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Flight Centre. We are definitely investing in our IT, and improving our flexibility (we consider all flexible working requests). Additionally, we... More