Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Reviews

Updated 9 April 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Commissioner Adam H. Putnam
Adam H. Putnam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Document Examiner II"

Former Employee - Document Reviewer in Tallahassee, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Document Reviewer in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I worked at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is very fair and care about their employees. They will encourage you to progress and give constructive feedback.

Cons

Was not a convenient location for me to work at. Massive office complex. Lower salary than some state jobs.

Advice to Management

Match salary with other state agencies.

2. "Just not worth it"

Former Employee - District Supervisor
    Former Employee - District Supervisor

I worked at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits that's it. But don't get sick.

Cons

Everything. Upper level leaders were the most egotistical, lazy, and worthless. They only want bodies to fill a position, that's it. God forbid if you get sick or have any other family emergency you will get punished or replaced.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people in management that have absolutely no experience in this field it's very obvious they are just 'figure heads'

3. "So much potential that is underutilized"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Gainesville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Gainesville, FL (US)

I worked at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good coworkers
    - Understanding of family issues
    - Opportunities for education (CS only)
    - Good benefits
    - Easy work

Cons

- Low pay compared to industry standard
    - No incentives to be better employees
    - Poor management (supervisors, bureau chiefs)
    - Little opportunities for upward growth

Advice to Management

If you took time to appreciate your lab techs and listen to their concerns, you may see less turnover. There were so many issues with supervisors and lab techs that could have been resolved but were glossed over by upper management. Stop focusing on parties and unnecessary meetings. Your issue is with hiring incompetent supervisors because you can’t afford to bring in competitive scientists with the salaries you offer. Offer more career service positions to those that have been working without benefits and PTO for decades.

4. "Updated Review..."

I have been working at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the better state agencies to work for. They at least try to promote from within whenever possible. Great work/life balance and of course benefits.

Cons

Reiterating what the majority of other reviews say, the pay is ridiculously low and getting a Special Pay Increase is almost impossible. Although I have moved up quite a bit during my two years here, I now feel like I have to wait for someone to die or retire in order to move up more. There is no incentive to work hard, no competition. If you made the environment slightly more cut throat I guarantee things would get done around here and more efficiently. The time and money wasted on pointless meetings/parties is appalling. I get that it is a morale booster to a certain extent, but its a bit much. You are literally scolded for wanting to work late or from home, but at the same time your work load is constantly increasing resulting from employees not doing their jobs. We cannot get good talent because we are held to a ridiculous hiring standard and by the off chance we do hire someone good, they leave in less than two years.

Advice to Management

Cut out the frivolous spending (i.e. parties, meetings) and actually recognize the employees who work hard. Throw a bonus or a pay increase their way. The "no money in the budget" excuse is absolute malarkey. If a division wants someone/something bad enough they'll "find" the money somehow. Lose the dead weight around here. You have four people hired to do the same job, but only two of those people actually work. Foster an environment that encourages people to work harder and more efficiently.You would be surprised, there are actually state workers who want to work and how do a really good job. Acknowledge those workers...

5. "N/A"

Pros

Very good co-workers who want to see you success. Very good work/life balance.

Cons

No cons for working here.

6. "FDACS Laboratory Review and description Chemist"

Current Employee - Enironmental Specialist III (Chemist) in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Labs have a family feel. Work and Pay are both pretty consistent with good medical and flexible schedules

Cons

Upper management has no clue and the environment is gradually becoming toxic based on that extremely poor management. Yes we have a pension and No you don't want it. Both pay and advancement opportunities are stagnate pay is horrible you can't expect any kind of annual pay raise. Last one any of us got was because we hadn't had one in almost 10 yrs and it was less than 2% raise.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Fight for them instead against them they really want to do the job well, as a rule.

7. "Human Resources"

I worked at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time

Pros

Growth and advancement opportunities. Dress code. Benefits and pay.

Cons

Outdated technology. Not a good team environment.

8. "Obtained licensing through this department. Did not work for them."

I worked at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time

Pros

Streamlined process for obtaining licensing.

Cons

Takes a long time to get someone on the phone to answer questions.

9. "Poor training..unfair work load"

Current Employee - Analyst in Tallahassee, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, understanding about family obligations

Cons

Little to no training, unfair workload

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to training new people

10. "Technologist"

Pros

Hours weekends and holidays off

Cons

They don't pay much attention to their employees