Flybe Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Flybe CEO Christine Ourmieres-Widener
Christine Ourmieres-Widener

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Unbelievably fast paced and challenging, but absolutely worth it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England

I have been working at Flybe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flybe is a great company to work for, should you like working in a fast paced environment where your ideas are truly listened to. It's a really interesting industry to work in and an excellent talking point!

Cons

You will be expected to deliver to often very challenging deadlines, though I guess this is true with all companies wishing to succeed.

2. "Great airline to work for"

Current Employee - First Officer
    Current Employee - First Officer

I have been working at Flybe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flybe is a great airline to work for, especially as a pilot just starting your career. The training is top quality, and the mighty Dash, although a challenge at times, is a really fun aircraft to fly. Friendly colleagues, many of which become family. You really feel looked after.

Cons

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of any.

3. "A friendly culture that you immediately feel a part of"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England

I have been working at Flybe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly culture
    - Work collaboratively as a team, whether you are working at the front line or support the operations at head office
    - Everyday is different
    - Training and development opportunities
    - Benefits and rewards

Cons

-High work load at times

4. "Challenging but highly rewarding work with great people"

I have been working at Flybe full-time

Pros

- Great people who are committed to Flybe
    - Fascinating industry, with constantly evolving challenges
    - Small company feel, with a strong sense of ownership

Cons

- Challenging industry and recent performance challenges, driving workload that is challenging at times

Advice to Management

- Demonstrate consistent performance
    - Ensure workload is fairly balanced across the organisation

5. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Finance in Exeter, England
    Current Employee - Finance in Exeter, England

I have been working at Flybe part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, supportive team, flexi time work hours, good training, a real buzz in the office. Most people feel proud to work for Flybe.

Cons

The car park crush in the morning, the interior of the offices look like they've seen better days, can feel hot and stuffy as the air con doesn't work well

Advice to Management

Upper Management could do with being more visible to general staff and perhaps a bit more interactive so an "us and them" culture doesn't develop. Dare I suggest that bonuses and incentives for employees would be appreciated rather than being made "employee of the month," which is rather meaningless to most and a little patronising.

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Southampton, England
    Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Southampton, England

I worked at Flybe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training and trainers were great, left me feeling very confident about doing the job. Schedule not too bad for the type of role. Had so much fun and would go back

Cons

Be prepared to miss family occasions and getting stuck in places - but this is all part of the job and fun!

"Flybe Cabin Crew"

Current Employee - Cabin Crew in Southampton, England
    Current Employee - Cabin Crew in Southampton, England

I have been working at Flybe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A Fun, laid back company to work for with great people. Great benefits, lots of holiday allowance. A company that really listens to its employees and knows how to get the best out of them. Great uniform. Free parking.

Cons

Shift work isn’t for everyone and you may only get one weekend off a month. Sometimes days can be long if your shift is extended due to delays, bad weather etc summer schedules can be busy

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Management do a great job,they treat everyone as individuals, help their staff out whenever they can which makes the work culture at flybe very open and honest, encourages people to grow and learn from mistakes in a positive way.

"27 years at Flybe and still going."

Current Employee - Flight Safety Investigator in Exeter, England
    Current Employee - Flight Safety Investigator in Exeter, England

I have been working at Flybe full-time

Pros

The year was 1990 and I had just completed ten years as a member of Her Majesty's Armed Forces, and I was looking at returning to the West Country to settle and finding employment. I was a qualified Aircraft Engineer having worked on Sea King helicopters and Sea Harrier Jump Jets. I applied for a job at a company called Jersey European, which we know today as Flybe!
     I started work at the Exeter facility which was known as H21 - Flybe has come a long way since those days!

I applied for a job as a night shift Engineer and was lucky enough to be offered the job. I started night shift on the 4th January 1991 I remember the winter cold, like it was yesterday. The hangar doors were being repaired at the time and they were stuck half open. However, the impact of the cold was lessened by the warm, welcoming and friendly team. I spent my first year working on the Fokker F27 and Short 360, as well as Heralds for Channel Express, and 748s for another 3rd party Company.

After two years working nights I applied for a daytime position and moved onto day shift. I was glad to return to normal working hours and loved the new shift pattern the company provided. I couldn’t think of a better position to be in – four-on, four-off, and living in the heart of the West Country where I could take advantage of the local beaches and beautiful countryside. I started a company pension and took advantage of the staff travel offers, which continue to date.

In my spare time, I raced classic motor bikes, although after several years, my luck ran out and I was involved in a serious accident. My recovery was slow and painful, but even today I can’t thank Flybe enough for the overwhelming support and additional care put in place to enable me to make a full recovery and return to work.

By now the company had become British European and we saw the introduction of the BAE 146 aircraft. As an engineer these were exciting times - any excuse to buy more tools! The company was growing and it was announced that there would be new hangars and office facilities built, which we now know as Hangar 1 and Hangar 2 and The New Walker Hangar. I remember watching the build develop and the massive amount of concrete being poured into the footings. The steel work was huge and we were all very proud of the impressive new facilities when they opened for maintenance to begin.

During the building period, the company supported my career development, enabling me to progress and become a Supervisor. This lead to me taking charge of the Paint shop, which had a team comprised of permanent and contracted staff in excess of 20 members. I loved the challenge and it helped me to refine my people management skills. A year later the Paint shop had a state of the art new facility built, which was a great achievement and is still in use today.

With further training provided by the company I was able to progress into Health and Safety, and became a Health and Safety union representative, as well as a company safety champion. I then progressed my career further within the company and took a position within the Part M Engineering Team. This took me away from the tools and led to an intensive two year training period culminating in me gaining my current position as a Flight Safety Investigator.

I am very proud of the position I hold now which gives me complete job satisfaction working with a fantastic team. I have had the pleasure of working with some amazing people and I have made some very good friends. To top it all off I met and fell in love with my wife Caroline at Flybe. I have been lucky enough to watch and be part of the company as it has grown into the Flybe it is today. Flybe have given me career opportunities and has fully supported me, enabling me to develop my career.

Now, 27 years later, I look back I know that wouldn’t want to work anywhere else. Flybe has a great culture, and is a very professional place to work, great colleagues who have become great friends.

Cons

Not enough holiday to enjoy my staff travel allowance.

Advice to Management

Believe in your staff.

9. "Legal Counsel"

I have been working at Flybe full-time

Pros

The people here are amazing. Incredibly friendly and fun it is like a big family. You get the chance to get ahead quickly if you work hard and there is the chance to be involved in big projects. Everyone matters here. It is also great to be able to watch all sorts of aircraft take off and land from outside HQ, including the Red Arrows. You also get discounts on flights and one free flight every year.

Cons

The additional facilities are limited, there is no canteen but there are several catering vans that visit every day. Also a cafe at the base. It can be frustrating when budgets are limited.

Advice to Management

It is great that we celebrate our staff, small ways of showing appreciation are really welcomed including the Christmas party. It would be great if we can have more thinking time, as workloads are busy and everyone works hard to achieve. This would take us from great to excellent.

10. "Every day is different, never a dull moment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England

I have been working at Flybe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The teamwork and the friendly environment. We work really hard and get the job done whilst supporting and assisting each other. We really pull together when we need to. I have been here for 17 years and wouldn't have stayed if I didn't still want to be here. I want to share in the future success of flybe. It is great to be part of such a brilliant Company. I really love to come to come to work.

Cons

Canteen facilities - don't get excited about it! Internal communication could be improved a little to keep staff informed of changes and updates of the business.

Advice to Management

None