Freddie Mac Reviews

3.9
Freddie Mac CEO David Brickman
David Brickman
Pros
Cons
  • "I think once we exit conservatorship, these things will change(in 52 reviews)

• "Some folks in senior management are REALLY (x2) bad and that affects the culture of the division(in 33 reviews)

1. "Great work life balance"

Current Employee - Director in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great work life balance, and work contributes to providing affordability/stability to housing market.

Cons

Company is presently under conservatorship, future uncertain.

Freddie Mac2020-05-23

May 29, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your feedback and for highlighting our flexible work arrangements and important housing mission. We’re proud of the team at Freddie Mac, and we’re continuously working to ensure that our business remains strong, stable and well-positioned for the future. Thank you again for your review and for your years of service to Freddie Mac.

2. "Good Pay, So-So Culture"

Former Employee - Project Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits, interesting work

Cons

IT is the tail that wags the dog. Their focus is on making sure they cannot be blamed when things go wrong, not on getting stuff done. So, if you are a business PM who has to work with IT, it can be extremely frustrating. Also, the culture at the firm overall is extremely hierarchical. That can be an issue if your project crosses multiple management chains or levels within your chain. Work/life balance was an issue for me - many late nights and weekends.

Freddie Mac2020-05-16

May 26, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your review. We take all feedback seriously and appreciate you taking the time to provide it.

3. "Eh."

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Paid well. Easier than private sector consulting.

Cons

It's a bank; a money-first mentality persists.

Freddie Mac2020-05-16

May 26, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your feedback and for mentioning our competitive compensation package. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and wish you good luck in the future.

4. "Freddie Mac"

Current Employee - Professional in Mc Lean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, Work life balance, Salary

Cons

Bureaucracy, Red tape, Corporate hierarchy

Freddie Mac2020-05-01

May 12, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your review and for mentioning our comprehensive benefits and compensation package. We appreciate your feedback and your continued contributions.

5. "I never imagined that I would ever love my job, what an amazing company!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) The company wants to make you happy, and they understand that your happiness translates to higher productivity 2) Opportunity to work on what excites you: you can move to another team easily if you like their stack or projects 3) Your feedback is considered 4) Very friendly staff 5) Life work balance (this company really means it) 6) Great benefits To summarize, as the title suggest, Freddie Mac is amazing, you will find yourself very loyal to this company because of the way they treat you.

Cons

Bureaucracy is really way too much, some time this can be a pro, but usually it is a con

Freddie Mac2020-04-29

May 12, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your review! We enjoy hearing feedback like this and appreciate you mentioning the various ways we help our employees achieve total well-being and fulfillment in their careers. Thanks for your continued support of our important mission. We’re lucky to have you on our team.

6. "Great Place to Be"

Current Employee - Operations Associate

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team structure. Very detailed oriented and smart people work here. The managers have a laid back management style, and are great to work with. Awesome benefits. Amazing corporate culture.

Cons

Since Freddie is a big company, there are certain procedures that are a little too corporate. I think once we exit conservatorship, these things will change.

Freddie Mac2020-04-26

May 7, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for review and for mentioning our leadership, benefits and culture. Making sure our leadership is at their best is a top priority and an important part of providing a positive, inclusive environment for our employees. We appreciate your feedback and your continued support of our important mission.

"Ok Company"

2.0
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good employee benefits Knowledgeable staff Experienced senior staff

Cons

Limited growth opportunities Very political Archaic technology

Freddie Mac2020-05-10

May 20, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your review and for mentioning the comprehensive benefits we offer to support employees’ total well-being. We appreciate your feedback and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

8. "Nice Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Tons of opportunities, great place for tech professionals

Cons

Many of us are under tremendous pressure to get things done under tight deadlines. It is a large organization and everyone is super busy so it is hard to find time to get to talk to anyone on a personal level. Great that we can all telework during the pandemic.

Freddie Mac2020-04-24

May 7, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for highlighting the many opportunities for technology professionals at Freddie Mac. Now more than ever, we are focused on supporting employees’ well-being while continuing to serve our crucial mission. We encourage you to speak with your manager about opportunities to help manage your workload. Thank you for your feedback and your years of service to Freddie Mac.

"If you're young and and smart, don't work here"

1.0
    Current Employee - IT Generalist II in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, good salary, and easy job that requires minimal effort

Cons

Incredibly boring, not challenging, few opportunities for advancement, average age of employee in IT is 45-50, IT department is treated like hired help for the business

Freddie Mac2020-05-25

May 29, 2020HR Communications

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Risk An Controls Professional in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time for more than a year

Pros

Top of the line benefits (educational assistance program, and 401k match) Generally nice people to work with Great cafe and gym

Cons

Career growth isn't very well communicated Performance feedback system needs improvement - feel as if I'm told I'm doing a good job, but not getting the feedback on where gaps exist to get to the next level

Freddie Mac2020-04-22

May 7, 2020HR Communications

Thank you for your review and for highlighting our comprehensive benefits package. We appreciate hearing from current employees and are glad to hear you have taken advantage of our wellness initiatives. In addition, we are taking action to expand our culture of continuous feedback to support employee growth and advancement. Thanks again for your review and for being a part of our team.

Found 954 reviews