Fresenius Kabi USA "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Fresenius Kabi USA Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 27 Jun 2019

2.7
Fresenius Kabi USA CEO John Ducker (no image)
John Ducker
Pros
Cons
  • "No real belief in work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• "Busy also means that you can sometimes have long hours and have to stay to finish up something important(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Too many meetings with too many cooks in the kitchen"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Fresenius Kabi USA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, clean facility and decent hours.

Cons

Zero work-life balance, constant mandatory over-time, pay is below-average for the area, very few actual full-time workers on the manufacturing team and extremely click-oriented. With one or two exceptions, virtually all of the full time employees at this facility are either friends or family of upper management. Management itself is largely made-up of the old-guard, who are only in their current positions... because they've been there for so long, not because of their ability to lead or mentor, or even manage! There are a lot of outside events, but you pretty much have to be full time and a close friend of manager to go with them. IF THIS PLACE COMES CALLING, RUN!

Advice to Management

It's too late, the rot set in a long time ago.

Fresenius Kabi USA2019-06-28

"Still room for Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Fresenius Kabi USA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Company growing at a fast pace -Lots of opportunities to acquire new skills, multiple internal job opportunities in other departments -Meaningful work (providing US market with low-cost generic injectables) -renewed focus on employee engagement -increasingly competitive compensation -good healthcare benefits

Cons

-poor work/life balance -pervasive "hurry up and wait" mentality with regard to project management -high level of turnover -lack of recognition of employees that excel -lack of promotion opportunities within job role -lack of cooperation from senior management with regard to employee engagement initiatives -no employee profit-sharing program -burdensome and discouraging annual review process

Advice to Management

-Focus on the engagement of your employees, make them feel valued if they are actively contributing, and provide them opportunities for promotions to prevent costly and disruptive turnover. -6 and 12 month employee performance review process is burdensome to supervisors and tends to treat excellent employees and "bare minimum" employees similarly, making otherwise good employees apathetic over the long term.

Fresenius Kabi USA2019-02-16
  3. "Good place to Work"

I have been working at Fresenius Kabi USA full-time

Pros

Benefits are good and so are the people. Lots of good projects happening.

Cons

No real belief in work/life balance. Not much room for growth unless at the absolute bottom. Management is decent but still tends to safe harbor certain employees that really should not be here.

Fresenius Kabi USA2017-04-20

"Toxic Supervisor/Management Environment"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Fresenius Kabi USA full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gaining pharma experience, most hourly employees are good people to work with.

Cons

As a new Supervisor on D shift, it was the worse. First, the production manager created a toxic environment with a less than poor management style but using bullying as a tool to deter supervisors from trying to use vacation days. Also, he played favoritism with them also but treating one supervisor one way and the others differently. With that, the one female supervisor I worked with had free range to come in late,... take off as many as she pleased just with one text message ("can't come in today, sick" send); she basically ran our manager with sad stories and crocodile tears. But when I applied for vacation days to attend an out of state funeral, the first thing that was said to me was "you want time off again?!" And is really ironic is that this was the same person before he placed me on D Shift, described to me the person that I will be working with as "not communicative, unreliable, hard to work with and actually said to me in a meeting 'I can't get her to do anything. She'll take days off and without any vacation time left. But what can I do, right?'" He created this environment that from day one made me second guess my employment here. And ever since, I felt like I was setup for failure. After I left my position there, I felt like I was paroled from jail. I guess this is why two supervisors and 4 inspectors quit in the last two months. Melrose Park's Fill/Cap manager is just the worse. I had three friends ask me about employment here and I just described my day to them and they decided not to apply here. They felt that the "work/life balance" was non-existent. Smart move guys. Another reason that I am glad I am not there is because my co-work started using the race card when she was found to be wrong during discussions. That, for me, was the absolute last straw.

Advice to Management

Revamp and reorganize your production management. Place individuals in positions that play to their strengths, not place them where you need a body.

Fresenius Kabi USA2017-03-14

"Career Development"

I have been working at Fresenius Kabi USA

Pros

Management promotes and helps with career development. Most employees are pleasant to work.

Cons

Work life balance suffers. Validation groups are not staffed with a 2nd and 3rd shift to support production needs. Therefore the 1st shift employees of validation groups suffer by having to cover 2nd and 3rd shift hours when studies are required to be performed. These employees are supposed to be compensated with time off, however, the heavy work load often prevents the employees from being able to take the... compensated time off.

Advice to Management

Hire a workforce for all departments that can appropriately support production needs for a 24/7 facility.

Fresenius Kabi USA2016-10-09

"Change is Coming!!"

I have been working at Fresenius Kabi USA full-time

Pros

I previously Posted a 3 Start review of this company. I am now raising it to 3.5 (Too bad Glassdor doesnt let you do that) Here is my review with some updates: The company's treatment of hourly people has become improved a lot. The US branch used to be a small American pharmaceutical company which was purchased by Fresenius Kabi. A lot of the problems are related to the fact that a lot of the people in... positions of power are from the old regime, and are used to none structured and pushy management style with short term goals and lack of respect for employees, but that too is changing. But change is very slow and painful here, as upper management is set in their old ways of doing things. The German parent company has noticed the abnormal employee turnover rates and all the problems that are associated with bad turnover.(Lack of knowledge base, no knowledge transfer, no Subject matter experts, overworked employees, past due project etc.) As a result there have been some initiatives to slowly but surely change the culture over time and make Fresenius Kabi US a place people actually want to work at. In all fairness it is not a terrible place to work at for salaried employees as there are advancement opportunities as the company is investing heavily and is planning on making their US manufacturing base their biggest in the world. The company is also placing long time Fresenius Kabi employees from their other plants in strategic positions in the US in an effort to synchronize their US branch with the Fresenius Kabi way of doing things. Large capital projects used to be run by the corporate engineering group out of Germany which works in a very structured way but but now a corporate engineering in north America has been established with growing numbers of engineers to run all North American Projects. Finally the people that have to support and maintain the equipment get to select and build it. This is a very positive development. There has also been many changes at the US corporate office and all the groups that work there. Generally speaking most departments are getting additional headcounts and some departments are split up or consolidated in order to stream line responsibilities. I would add the following points as Pros -Salaries in line with other Pharma (Good salaries for engineers) -HR has been giving generous raises to all employees as part of their Employee engagement program. -Benefits are average with 3% 401KMatch, Good Health Insurance Options, 3 Weeks Vacation to start with. 11 Holidays. -Due to the lack of resources you go through baptism by fire and learn a tremendous amount within a short period of time. -Turnover is still an issue but things are certainly getting better. These 2 points are not related to this company but are industry specific, they both can be a con or pro at the same time -Very complex industry-->many different system to work on and a lot of scientific aspects to consider). At the same time project implementation takes a lot longer. -Very Regulated Industry-->exposure to regulations and documentation for injectable pharmaceutical manufacturing which is very niche. At the same time regulation and paper work brings everything to grinding halt and is unmatched by any industry that I know (with the exception of the nuclear maybe)

Cons

-Politics The amount of backstabbing and unnecessary politics between employees gets worse the higher you go on the management chain. It is the worse amongst directors. That is a result of the leadership style that is currently in power and encourages such behavior. -Lack of recognition Employees are not acknowledged or recognized for their hard work. -Work/Life Balance Hard to achieve with current... resources. BUT almost all departments have gotten additional head count. As more people join our ranks the Work/Life balance will improve for all of us. -All decisions are made in Germany This is still true but at a much higher level. The global strategic decisions are made at the board which is in Germany, BUT how these decisions are implemented in North America is now up to the North American Business Unit. -Lack of standards I am used to other Pharmaceutical companies where there are Hardware/Software/Equipment standards in place. This is still an issue here BUT also changing due to the fact that most of the Engineering decisions for the US plants are being made here in the US and a Corporate Engineering group that will establish North American standards. -Lack of mentorship or clear career paths The HR department in this organization is sub par and is not comparable with other big companies. They do not know how to find the right talent. Once talent is brought in they do not have proper structures to provide mentorship or different career paths employees can pursue that makes them want to continue their career here instead of leaving. When someone does get promoted HR limits their raise to where the promoted individual who is being paid below market gets the experience and then leaves the company. With all that being said HR is currently leading an initiative to Engage employees with various tools and career incentives. This is still being worked out and it remains to be seen how it will affect the overall situation.

Advice to Management

Do everything in your power to keep your best talent. You can NOT build state of the art facilities without state of the art PEOPLE!

Fresenius Kabi USA2016-07-15

"Good for Experience"

I worked at Fresenius Kabi USA

Pros

Good place to get experience if you are starting out in pharma. Good place to learn diverse techniques.

Cons

Very unprofessional, poorly managed. Work/life balance is horrible. Only emphasize numbers and tests. Some shady practices to avoid re-test or blame the manufacturing process.

Advice to Management

Hire new management from outside

Fresenius Kabi USA2016-04-25

"Difficult place to work"

in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at Fresenius Kabi USA for more than 3 years

Pros

Big company gives you insight on many aspects of how things run that you might never see.

Cons

Very complex systems make it hard to get work done. Too much travel required. No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Listen to the results of opinion polls from employees and act on them. Pay employees better salaries.

Fresenius Kabi USA2015-02-24
  9. "Fits the need for a job"

Former Employee - Compliance in Melrose Park, IL

I worked at Fresenius Kabi USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance is great, family feel.

Cons

Pay scale is low and needs to be amended for employees that have been there for a long time.

Fresenius Kabi USA2014-10-10

"This company is managed from overseas"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Fresenius Kabi USA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The salaries were higher than average, but there is not work life balance. On an hourly basis, you may wind up being underpaid.

Cons

The overseas management did not understand the US market.

Advice to Management

There were several accusations of gender discrimination and personally I believe they were true.

Fresenius Kabi USA2014-06-03