GCS Recruitment Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.7
GCS Recruitment Managing Director David Bloxham
David Bloxham

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Environment - A mature environment that rewards hard work & commitment (in 8 reviews)

• Career progression - I have had 3 promotions since joining GCS (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours (which is to be expected with recruitment) so if you are looking for a 9-5 this is not the job for you (in 11 reviews)

• It takes a lot of hard work and a lot of dedication (in 2 reviews)

1. "8 years in..."

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at GCS Recruitment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Having been promoted 6 times in 8 years, GCS has always given me a path to progress my career and climb the ladder. The management team has always taken on board the advice I've given as to how we can evolve as a business and there are not many recruitment businesses out there that would give their middle management the level of autonomy that we receive.

Cons

The recruitment industry itself is becoming a tougher place to work. There is lots of competition and sometimes it is a case of pure hard work and grit being the main cause of success. As a result, the age old argument of long hours comes up whenever we hire junior consultants but to be honest, it's not an enforced rule here, more so a by product of the industry as a whole.

Advice to Management

- Keep offering a rewarding environment that allows people to advance their careers.
    - Keep evolving as a business to keep up with the times. It's what will keep people wanting to work here.

2. "Where internships turn into full-time careers!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at GCS Recruitment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My career at GCS started through an internship that was initially supposed to last throughout my University summer period, but a year and half later and I am now a permanent employee on the London Engineering team!

The office itself has a great working environment/culture, there is never a dull moment!

I am thankful to GCS for welcoming me into the world of recruitment! The senior management team lay out a transparent structure as to how you can progress in your career and push you to reach your goals.

Cons

London office needs an additional microwave, and more ping pong balls...

Advice to Management

n/a

3. "Working at GCS"

I have been working at GCS Recruitment full-time

Pros

Belief in each employee.
    Opportunities are second to none.
    Fantastic working environment.
    Working with the best recruiters in the business.
    Always being pushed to be better and achieve greater things.
    GCS is not just a company, it's a family.
    They find out your strengths in your personality and work with them in creating the best recruitment consultant.
    Constant in house training allowing you to become better at what you do.
    Continuous incentives to work more efficiently and to be pro active.

Cons

Could do with an office in Australia!
    YET!!!

"Avoid like the plague people"

I worked at GCS Recruitment full-time

Pros

None that I can realistically think of.

Cons

1) first of all, the positive reviews are all from people who have worked there for five+ years and who have got numerous favours over the years. And who have been expressly asked by marketing to write a review.
    2) very cliquey culture, favouritism rampant. If you are best mates with a director you are guaranteed longevity in this company even if you are by all counts, replaceable.
    3) one of the least diverse companies I have ever worked at. OFI.
    4) no lines drawn between personal and professional relationships - displayed by couples.
    4) very callous people to deal with, senior management does not address staff concerns. Disappointing at best to deal with. Uninspiring leadership.
    5) Run as far as you can in the opposite direction if you are ever unlucky enough to be offered anything from this company.

Advice to Management

There is nothing to say to people who are not willing to listen and who are incapable of owning up to their actions.

"Thank you for making me choose GCS!"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Reading, England

I have been working at GCS Recruitment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Career Progression - I joined as a Senior Consultant in 2012, now I manage a team of 9, I have shares in the business and i'm looking forward to what the future brings to us all!
    Stability - GCS have been going over 26 Years. Having survived a couple of recessions now, they are Financially very stable. It's also rare in Recruitment to find a Company with so many long standing people who are still so passionate about the business. Both Directors started as Consultants here.
    Understanding - I was granted a month off last year to tour Asia and New Zealand and came back with all my business well looked after.
    Caring - When a family member was unwell, they gave me all the time I needed to sort out care. Even changed the company private health policy to enable them to be included in future.
    Deliver on promises. When we set my targets they were set with rewards which I have achieved. GCS delivered on all the promises they made me.
    Incentives: I have been to places and stayed in hotels better than I could have dreamed of. Vegas, Dubai, Ibiza x2, Val D'isere, Morzine, Munich for Oktoberfest.
    Millionaires - Every time a Consultant makes a million for the business they are taken to a Michelin star restaurant to celebrate with all the other millionaires!
    Training - Not only have I learned how to manage my team better, but also I work closely with our training managers to continually develop my team too.
    Opportunities- Working overseas has been presented to me to open new offices having seen the benefit of NYC. You can always change your surroundings within the Company if you want.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a long time to get things changed which can be frustrating. Better offices and equipment has been long overdue. As was changing to smart casual attire! But I'm pleased we got there in the end and now we can work on the next!

Advice to Management

First never follows, let's be innovators!
    Some more remote working would help with work life balance.
    Try to involve people partners or friends in more company events!
    It will only spread the word about how great we are!

6. "GCS Recruitment"

Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Reading, England

I have been working at GCS Recruitment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined GCS 3 years ago and it still feels like yesterday that I started, always learning new things everyday and the support you receive from the company really is second to none.

Cons

The only frustrating thing is that we need a new kettle

Advice to Management

Buy a new kettle

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Reading, England

I have been working at GCS Recruitment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are always given opportunities to progress, and hard work is always rewarded with numerous incentives, like trips to Vegas, lunch clubs etc.

Cons

Could do with a new kettle

Advice to Management

Buy a new kettle

8. "Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Reading, England

I have been working at GCS Recruitment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Career progression - I have had 3 promotions since joining GCS. They have given me everything I have wanted and more!

Incentives - I have eaten in 3 of the top 5 restaurants in the world! Been to Miami twice, Vegas twice, Paris, Barcelona, New York, Switzerland, Ibiza twice, Marbella, Germany and Italy. Every trip gets better and better.

Flexibility for parents and forward thinking.

Lots of training both on the job and courses provide.

They give you a clear track to run on and the ability to grow. They do not hold people back.

Good friendly atmosphere, I have met many good people at GCS , I would class them as family.

If you want a great career you must join!

Cons

Could do with a new water machine

Advice to Management

Keep hiring it is a great place to work!!

9. "Mature, Established and Great Company"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England

I have been working at GCS Recruitment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GCS is a great place to work whether you are new to recruitment or joining as an experienced recruiter.

GCS have a fantastic training programme and really know how to nurture young talent coming into the business with no prior experience, GCS will help you develop the right skills and attitudes that long term will make you a very successful recruiter.

As a senior recruiter, due to the rapid growth of GCS, opportunities to step into leadership roles are always available some of which might be oversees! You also get a voice, which personally I value a lot, as a senior member of staff I want to work for a company where I feel i'm adding value and helping improve the business, GCS gives you that platform.

GCS is an established recruitment company, when you pick up the phone to talk to clients they know who we are and that makes such a difference when you're trying to win new relationships.

Cons

In the London office we recently got a new "chill out" area with sofa's etc. it looks awesome but the coffee table is way to small, it would be great if they could order one that fits the space better...

Advice to Management

I know better then to give advice to management!

10. "Great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at GCS Recruitment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All expenses paid incentives, breakfast clubs and High Achievers Lunches to name a few of the great rewards here, which are second to none! Made some friends for life here, and because of this, I actually enjoy coming to work each day! Thank you GCS!

Cons

Could try Flexible working to balance out the long typical recruitment hours, but that was explained before I started!