GLG Reviews

Updated 5 Jul 2020

3.6
GLG CEO Paul Todd (no image)
Paul Todd
Pros
  • "Positive work culture with a strong focus on work/life balance and wellness with a good set of company perks/benefits to support those efforts(in 41 reviews)

• "High caliber of people that creates both a fun and stimulating work environment - people enjoy each other socially, but also work hard(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "I think work life balance can be tough at times(in 63 reviews)

• "Less diversity company-wide and across senior management, but new CEO is expanding leadership and making diversity a priority(in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Solid Company"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been with GLG for more than five years and a few things have stood out to me during that time: - It's a meritocracy. If you demonstrate you're capable, committed, and willing to work hard you're going to get more responsibility. - The level of transparency is incredible. Management's commitment to communicate company performance, projections, and strategic plan is pretty incredible. Not something you see in companies of this size. - GLG has committed itself to taking care of its people during these uncertain times. The company transitioned to WFH pretty seamlessly and, rather than just let everyone grind away, took a lot of steps to ensure employees were managing okay.

Cons

Currently you can't take advantage of one of the biggest perks: the offices. There's been a lot of change. And while that can be stressful, the changes all seem to be for the better.

"The Sky's the Limit!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

The two characteristics, which in my mind really define the corporate culture at GLG are high energy and positivity. I love the culture at GLG because it's always about finding a creative solution, rather feeling restricted by arbitrary formalities, a tight suit, or forcing yourself into a particular way of thinking. GLG is the very best of every dynamic start-up: you have full autonomy and all that matters is the result. GLG is the high speed motorcycle of corporate culture, and I’ve not been surrounded by so many hugely talented, kind and bright people in my career before. I’ve found the leadership at GLG truly impressive, especially with their focus on personal development and having a growth mindset. At GLG, the sky’s the limit! This is the 6th company I’ve now worked for and I've not experienced anything like it. It’s proven to me that a job doesn’t have to be ‘just a job’ and that you can really develop and grow at the work place. I feel truly privileged to be a part of the huge success story that is GLG.

Cons

The fact that it's not paradise and that you still have to go to work on a Monday morning. That would be my only complaint. The free snacks, drinks, two screens etc. are pretty sweet, though.

Continue reading

"Unparalleled Exposure--internal and external"

Former Employee - Director in London, England

I worked at GLG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I was with GLG for 11 years and left a senior level. I watched the company grow significantly during that time, but the reasons I loved working there on Day 1 remained the same on my final day in the office. I experienced the company in the London and New York offices and traveled quite a bit to Austin, as well. After being in the work force for 20 years at this point and working in a number of different companies, I can say honestly that I have never seen a company that does a better job at hiring smart, curious, fun, social people, and then gives them an opportunity to exercise those skills regularly. The core of what GLG does only grows with intellectual curiosity of the people that it hires. To be clear, I am no Pollyanna-- I had some good days and some bad days-- really great managers and some with "room for improvement". With any quickly growing company, there were days and or stages of my career that provided more or less stimulation--some days would be spent doing what felt like data entry or scheduling. But these days were far surpassed by the good days--chatting with clients who were founding partners are successful PE firms or hedge funds, Council Members who were any one from former heads of state to the leading baked goods expert in France. I learned about topics I always and never wanted to know about-- the creation of the eurocrisis to sausage casings in Texas. And, again, the people who were there consistently with equally as interesting chat were the my work colleagues at GLG. GLGers have very quick exposure to the world's foremost thought leaders (on the council member side) and clients who are some of the sharpest from the financial services, consulting and corporate worlds. The company is also at a pivot point right now, and the CEO is making changes. Some have been great, some not so great, and some he's learned from and changed. The CEO and leadership team, though, are passionate about the business and are with the folks on the floor a lot to ensure they are guiding the company in the right way and that people are on board. The leadership team is also a good group of people-- and I don't think you see that a lot at the exec level. I left the company for personal reasons, but I left with a heavy heart. GLG is a great place to be, it is what you make it, and I am excited to see where the company is in the next few years.

Cons

Over the years, there was a spottiness in the consistency of promotions. GLG erred on the side of promoting technicians/people who were great at their job vs people who are good managers. The new CHRO is lazer-focused on this issue, though, and it is having an impact.

4. COVID-19

"Excellent Leadership"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent Communication from Leadership Team Great Business Model (resilient against COVID-19 impact)

Cons

Clients can sometimes be overly demanding. The work is variable, so there are peaks and troughs which can be tough to handle with non-work commitments.

"A place to grow"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Direct access to the most interesting & successful investors in the world, which provides a unique opportunity to learn (if you have the drive to unlock it) - An open, engaged workplace that empowers everyone from entry level to global leadership to problem solve together - Global opportunities across a variety of functional and regional segments, opening up a broad set of choices to grow & develop new professional skills - 20+ years on, GLG continues to lead it's industry and grow across multiple dimensions and give it's team the chance to be part of a winning strategy

Cons

- GLG has experienced growing pains; it would be hard for any successful growth company not to. But those challenges are chances for the motivated to jump in, solve problems and grow. - As a global business of a couple thousand people across 20+ offices, there is a large operational challenge of keeping everyone connected across time zones, cultures and languages. The company isn't yet at the scale of the large cap services or technology business that has teams of people managing these issues.

6. COVID-19

"Great place to work with great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at GLG full-time

Pros

- Very dynamic, fast-paced, high growth business - Opportunity to work with an impressive client base across financial services, consulting and large corporations - Great opportunities for career development whether as an individual high-performer or as a future people leader, as well as mobility opportunities to different departments and offices globally - Positive work culture with a strong focus on work/life balance and wellness with a good set of company perks/benefits to support those efforts - London office has a very friendly, caring and inclusive culture where you get to interact with people from all different backgrounds from all over the world - Strong focus on social impact with all staff encouraged to get involved - Huge amount of transparency and communication on the performance of the business with opportunity for Q&A from all employees directly with the leadership team and local leaders in virtual townhalls - GLG was one of the first businesses to move its staff to remote working during the COVID crisis and took advice directly from experts to inform its plans. GLGers have been kept regularly informed by the leadership team and through local leaders hosting direct interviews with medical and economic experts with opportunity for Q&A - this is one of the benefits of working for a company that built the marketplace of expertise - Strong investment in L&D and skill-set development at all levels - Massive opportunity to expand your professional network with the large number of executives and clients that you get exposed to each year - Strong reward and recognition culture and platforms to recognise contributions from colleagues/peers - Culture committees that plan socials and community engagement activities - Overall, a great place to work and few places that have the same calibre of talent and opportunity to grow - If you're looking for a company that will give you the opportunity to have a direct impact on helping clients make smarter business and investment decisions, whilst building strong transferable skillsets and an enviable network of contacts that will benefit you throughout your career, then GLG should be at the top of your list!

Cons

- Fast-paced, high growth company so requires innate drive and growth mindset as core attributes

7. COVID-19

"Lots of Growth"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at GLG full-time

Pros

* the people * working with clients and opportunity to work with clients from an early stage of your career * working with very senior experts from an early stage of your career * lots of opportunity for career growth and different paths you can explore * culture of sharing ideas and working with lots of different team internally * colleagues you can learn from * variety of different types of work to do * interesting projects and sectors * social impact initiative * great business model that is able to adjust very well virtually * always evolving and learning

Cons

* nothing to flag at this time

Continue reading

"Ok to start your career"

2.0
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office is in central city

Cons

Too much politics and uninteresting tasks

"Good place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Head of Content in London, England

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good atmosphere around the office. Good business model, and a leader in its field

Cons

Holidays on the stingy side

"Good potential"

Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at GLG full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong company values, and investment in individuals. Great, supportive colleagues Good progression track with the correct management

Cons

Management quality varies Flexible working hours difficult

Found 717 reviews