GSM London Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

GSM London Reviews

Updated Aug 23, 2019

Found 65 reviews

2.4
GSM London CEO Amanda Blackmore  (no image)
Amanda Blackmore
Pros
  • "I've recently returned to GSM London after several months away(in 8 reviews)

• "Genuine ethos and committment to make things better for students snd staff from senior management(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some of the Senior Management really need to stop bullying their staff(in 10 reviews)

• "No induction or nothing could prepare you for what you will go through at GSM London(in 8 reviews)

"Well thats all folks"

Current Employee - General Manager in Greenwich, England

I have been working at GSM London full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great students and great to see students succeed, though there were also challenges Demanding and challenging culture (in a good way) Great delivery-focused colleagues Genuinely diverse faculty and workforce

Cons

Well sometimes you cannot improve quickly enough / you cannot provide the data to show improvement quickly enough External factors

Advice to Management

n/a

GSM London2019-08-17
  2. "Awful management and unqualified lecturers"

Former Employee - Module Leader in London, England

I worked at GSM London full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some very good lecturers who genuinely cared about the students and their progression. That is it.

Cons

The management: very, very unqualified in every way which is a key reason why the business went into administration. Management was not appointed on credentials and experience, but more in relation to who they were related to; who they had previously worked with and who they were friends with. As a private business, the ethos behind renumeration and treatment shown through. No staff development; no perks; no praise... - no nothing! There was differential treatment for staff depending on how much you brown nosed and a very much glass ceiling effect for the diverse employees, with the managing positions being given to under-qualified British lecturers. Overall, I observed 'lecturers' with barely a degree 'teaching' students and being able to award grades when they could barely achieve themselves. The Faulty Towers of HE - GSM London - farewell.

Advice to Management

Find a job of your station - not in academia

GSM London2019-08-23
  3. "Wild west"

Former Employee - Lecturer

I worked at GSM London full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Students made it worthwhile and most staff were good

Cons

Huge mis-management. Dean appointed as she felt fit ignoring process and procedures. Major nepotism. Unqualified inexperienced people placed in senior positions. Bullying. Heavy handed culture. Many staff left regularly.

GSM London2019-08-23
  4. "Don't dare"

Current Employee - Senior Lecturer in London, England

I have been working at GSM London full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Students are the only pros.

Cons

Everything else. But more of management.

Advice to Management

Too late now, you managed to sink the boat.

GSM London2019-08-21
  5. "GSM"

Former Employee - Senior Lecturer

I worked at GSM London full-time

Pros

Difficult to say. It does provide access to a learning institution to people who may not otherwise have that access. There did seem to be an energy in some staff and students, and a sense that the institution was important to them

Cons

Quite a few. Quality is a big one. Quality of learning was a big question mark - it had no feel of a university. Incentives was a concern too. Student attendance could be very bad, and you wondered how and why students could be enrolled but not turn up.

GSM London2019-06-17
  6. "Inconsistent approaches"

Current Employee - HCA

I have been working at GSM London part-time

Pros

New library staff mostly helpful only one young woman I found to be hostile to a male student. My time is soon to end some lecturers were talented alround and passionate about subject. Others laizzez faire, late, difficult to hear, undisciplinary where needed, or tedious to listen too.

Cons

My most upsetting time was upon submission of my dissertation. My assigned person tutor change 3 times not enough tuition time. My first time to attempt a dissertation my lecture was fast moving and complexed. Other help was limited. I requested a weeks extention. I was scored a 0 based on poor response, communication between departments, blatant oversights. It went to the panel 3 times they try to say I did... not submit the paper copy on time, no matter what I said was disregarded. There was always a week extention for first sit, they denied me that and used that as a basis of late submission. I felt let down and extremely upset at Compliance/Student Hub shortcomings. We were sent to Greenford for exams we contested it as a long distance they gave an inappropriate response. Exams previous on site were a shambolic. mess. I was verbally an near physically abused in the tea room following a lecture from two female students the immediate staff handled it well upper- management did nothing. I have to make a decion whether to bother to come back to finish my dissertation as I feel I have and will be offered very little or no support. My time at GSM I was 97% late ndance a couple of times late I interacted with students and lecturers. To feel ultimately I am sure to conclude with only a diploma I feel this establishment let me down when it really counted.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing your staff with unsuitable working conditions, poor judgement of intake students in some case lecturers, interelations between staff at times strained, leading to poor working morale, heavy work scale ultimately to the detriment of students and and don't ignore your students, who come with feed -back or issues and in need of assistance all of which are your bread and butter. Recommendations are... necessary to a business I feel you don't value this concept. Introduce a student is a facade and promises broken.

GSM London2019-02-18

"Transparent review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at GSM London full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some pleasant students, faculty and staff

Cons

Office politics and uncomfortable working environemnt

Advice to Management

Offer staff consistent training and development

GSM London2019-03-07

"Passionate employees but lack of investment from the board"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at GSM London full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to get involved in various projects and learn. Generous holiday allowance. Some good middle and senior managers with good experience and mentoring.

Cons

Feeling that the business owners just sweep the profits with a minimum investment into students or employees. Terrible HR team in terms of communication. Need to sort out their remuneration strategy and offer an equal pay. Most of the staff are logged off their phones so impossible to get hold of

GSM London2019-01-09

"HR - People team"

I have been working at GSM London full-time

Pros

There is a HR team

Cons

They do not appear to do much , to many processes, complaints raised do not get addressed efficiently. It almost as if they try to pay you lip service than finding an actual resolution.

Advice to Management

Processes should be thought through end to end, and how it affects ALL stakeholders.

GSM London2018-08-10

"working at gsm"

I have been working at GSM London part-time

Pros

good environment, staff normally help each other

Cons

disorganized, do not help students as they should or they say in the beginning

Advice to Management

to be more organized, focus on students need and progress

GSM London2018-06-22