GSM London Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Chris Holmes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The payout that you may receive from GSM London when they fire unjustifiably (in 8 reviews)

• If the senior management are changed then there are opportunities for the business to achieve great things (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The Senior management are not supportive of staff, lots of infighting between teams and the HR department not helpful (in 9 reviews)

• Being an employee at GSM London may sometimes feel criminal for this reason alone (in 7 reviews)

1. "Excellent employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenford, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenford, England

I have been working at GSM London part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company benefits, training opportunities and good team environment.

Cons

Location not the easiest to get to.

2. "Awful place to work."

Pros

Location maybe? The principal of what the college is supposed to stand for. Hopefully they will improve soon as not many pros at the moment unfortunately

Cons

The Senior management are not supportive of staff, lots of infighting between teams and the HR department not helpful. A lot wrong.

Advice to Management

Start again and look after your employees.

"Former staff"

Pros

Sincerely it's the innocent students. I feel so so sorry for these genuine people

Cons

Where to start. The BBC panorama show showed how corrupt this place is. But only to a small part. They are more corrupt. Fake students records. Fake papers. Fake everything. Why they get past regulator is due to clever scams. I will reveal this to police actually.

Advice to Management

Shut your scam down and stop
    Pretending to be ethically.

"GSM do not appreciate the staff they have"

I have been working at GSM London full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Alternative Provider for people who may not have the opportunities to apply elsewhere
    Can be a good working environment as staff are initially very friendly

Cons

They do not care about their staff
    Job description is very vague to rope you into additional duties

"Lecturer"

I worked at GSM London part-time

Pros

Non management staff are friendly work hard and really do put effort in teaching the students.

Cons

Students are king there and some bosses tend to be very poor as in my case.
    A student failed my module after offering support for the last hour of my class every week and the student would alsways say to me "next week Ill show you my progress" but next week became next week until deadline day.

The student entered my classroom demanding I stop the lecture and help him to finish his coursework to meet the deadline at 2pm that day. when I asked what his progress was he told me he had not started. I refused to stop the class as we were in the middle of exam revision and the other students had finished and submitted their work and wanted to continue with our revision class for their exams.

This student inevitably failed. The next semester when results were published the student saw me as I finished a class claiming he did not know why he failed and that I should explain to him. I did explain for a full hour unpaid as I am was an associate and the student accepted my feedback.

A few weeks went by and he began to demand meeting after meeting with me and bosses, the bosses were getting higher with each meeting. Until the final meeting where the student exploded on me in front of my boss, accusing me of trying to kill him and all sorts of abuses were thrown at me such as I just failed him for no reason, that I am a witch and was putting spells on him to fail. I kid you not, I could not make up a better story. This meeting went for an hour and a half and I was not allowed to answer back to the student. the meeting only served to show the student was mentally unstable and that this was no longer simply a student challenging his grade.

After the meeting the student could not understand why I was still employed after making such accusations against me. Finally he went to make an accusation against me that constituted gross misconduct putting my career in jeopardy. I was suspended and investigated over this accusation for 6 weeks only for me to be cleared of the charges, but the student walked free, continued to attend classes as if nothing ever happened. He even graduated.

this institution has allowed to florish among its students a complain culture, which if done right by the students, gets lecturers fired, courseworks changed, marks changed, unlimited first-sits without marks being capped and resits with the loudest of the students able to make lecturers afraid to fail them.

There is no protection from the bosses who seemingly love complaints against their enemies and use the complaints as an opportunity to persecute their enemies.

Students complain and need not provide any evidence, instead the lecturers are the ones who have to provide evidence that they did not do what they are being accused of.

I was very dissapointed with management in my case even though I was not that student's first victim with three previous lecturers suffering a similar fate at the hands of this same student.

Advice to Management

Grow a pair of balls and stand up to this complain culture. Your staff do not need to feel afraid to fail students.

27 Oct 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

We are sorry to learn you did not have an entirely positive experience working with GSM.

"improving"

I have been working at GSM London full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Improving college with loads of potential

Cons

lot of talking behind your back but aren't all places

Advice to Management

Work on the middle management

27 Oct 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

Thank you for the review.

8. "Great diversity place to work"

I have been working at GSM London full-time

Pros

Great place to work and develop career. Very divers workforce and board directors very helpful.

Cons

Depending on department, there is usually very limited chances of trainings.

Advice to Management

Some departments may require trainings to perform better.

27 Oct 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

Thank you for the review - we note your comments.

"Lot's to improve"

Pros

the people not in management are generally nice and do try to do their job well despite the obstacles. There a lot of willingness especially amongst academics to better the type of education provided and there is truly a lot of commitment..

Cons

The high management is generally made of friends of friends, sons, daughters, best friends, aunts, uncles. But is not a nice family- everyone think about their now interests and the money only flows that way while the employees at lowers levels ( that actually get the job done!) get close to nothing!

27 Oct 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

Thank you for the feedback - we are sorry that you didn't have a great experience with us.

"Enjoying the role and company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Greenwich, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Greenwich, England

Pros

Good people, change management, salary, proactive CEO. Lots of change is happening at GSM and I'm pleased to be part of it and have an input into it.

Cons

I have been in the role less than one year but so far no major concerns.

Advice to Management

Starting with the basics is great. Change is taking place and this is positive and well thought out.

27 Oct 2017 – Talent and Acquisitions Advisor

Thank you for the feedback.

"One big family of bullies"

Pros

Cheap but poor quality food in the canteen. Good location. Great students. Library services.

Cons

No induction or nothing could prepare you for what you will go through at GSM London. GSM is a unique place in a sense where you will be bullied openly and recklessly, where your identity, personality and "being" will be destroyed through systematic harassment and bullying, where you will see half dozen of siblings working in the same department next to each other, where you will be excluded from all sorts of benefits and perks if you refuse to worship your line manager who is most likely a - disqualified and incapable of achieving any task academic - good friend of the senior management or if you are not one of those privileged members who are well-protected by the senior management no matter what. You will receive the rudest and nastiest emails- in your life - from your line manager as well as from the senior management and you will be told off very frequently for no apparent reason. You will barely see the well-paid top managers around whilst your attendance will be strictly monitored and reported to your line manager by your work colleagues. Although GSM London promotes itself proudly as a widening participation focused institution, the mentioned group is not students but the staff themselves. Some of the members of the senior management are proud of themselves by holding well-paid high-end positions within the organisation thanks to their links to the senior management and to their habit of reading women magazines where they can learn everything they need to know to manage their jobs from.

Advice to Management

The whole senior management should be replaced with honourable, dignify and non-corrupt people who would not see GSM as their very own cash machine.

7 Apr 2017

I am very sorry that you feel this way about your time working at GSM London.

I can’t speak about what may have been the case in the past, but since I took up the CEO role last October I have... More