Gardline Limited Employee Reviews about "pay rises"

Updated 30 Sep 2019

2.5
Gardline Limited CEO Christiaan Vermeijden
Christiaan Vermeijden
Pros
Cons
  • "no investment (training or pay rises) in staff, meaning most leave once they've gained experience(in 5 reviews)

• "Considering that you are working away from home for several weeks at a time and usually on old and uncomfortable vessels the salary is a pittance(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "pay rises"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good Company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Office Based in Great Yarmouth, England

I have been working at Gardline Limited full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Support from management (particularly line managers). Progression. Annual appraisals. Sports and Social club, encouraging colleagues to interact. Galley (on site canteen). Friendly staff and colleagues. Communication from board of management about our finances and they even have been showing their gratitude for our hard work. Private healthcare through BUPA

Cons

No pay rise reviews. Cannot offer rotations due to the nature of their business i.e. short jobs.

Continue reading
  2. "good graduate opportunity, limited progression. Get what you need to and get out before they let you go."

Former Employee - Physical Oceanographer in Great Yarmouth, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Gardline Limited full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

high staff turnover means good graduate/low experience opportunities. New ownership since I left might mean better treatment of staff

Cons

no investment (training or pay rises) in staff, meaning most leave once they've gained experience.

3. "Good if you need experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Yarmouth, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Gardline Limited full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is good; no real requirement to work overtime or stay late Good to build up some experience/as a stepping stone

Cons

No real opportunities for progression despite promises Workforce is treated with "that'll do" mentality - they closed the Crow's Nest canteen where we could get fresh sandwiches or hot lunches etc and replaced it with a couple of vending machines and a sub-par sandwich van Pay reviews have not been carried out for three years in a row now, and salaries are not all that competitive to start with Work social events have stopped - they used to have a gala in January and a Christmas do at a nice hotel but this year no gala and the Christmas do is just a meal at a restaurant High staff turnover because people (particularly young graduates) get 1-2 years in to the job and realise they can't go anywhere within the company - they won't get pay rises or promotions

"Missed Opportunities"

1.0
    Offshore Surveyor

I have been working at Gardline Limited

Pros

Quite good as a start up, stepping stone, to try out the career/lifestyle particularly if it's going off into the wild blue yonder. Life on board is mostly quite good, there are some ship's to avoid though - unfit for human habitation in this century.

Cons

The company direction was marred by some very poor corporate decisions. We were traditionally the 'Burger flippers' of the Survey industry and in the case of the vessels and equipment, the scrap metal dealers. With some build up of finances after a poor start to the century, it would have been prudent to bring the company up to the level of it's more professional looking competitors. Purchase of scrap vessels and then obscene investment, in some cases, was nothing short of a cover up of ginormous proportions. This then impacted the investment in the existing assets and we are now reaping the seeds that were cast on stony ground. Their attitude to their staff is abysmal, they would like a good chunk of us to disappear for a year until the market picks up again, at no cost to them of course. We have been consistently lied to regarding the 'national recession' which never happened in our industry until the last year. The Boys on the top floor have given themselves huge pay hikes and shareholder bonuses - again, stripping the financial assets of the company. The boss has had over 400% pay rise during the 'recession' whilst telling all to tighten their belts. We have now to accept another drop in salary (offshore) of another 10% with earnings already having fell by 20% or more due to the drop in workable days for most people. Instead of now building up the company ready for the next surge, assets', including people, will be left to rot.

Continue reading

"Relaxed or hectic? Family or corporate? It is at least different."

Offshore Field Staff in Great Yarmouth, England

I have been working at Gardline Limited

Pros

Friendly working environment. Cliquey... get friends, social... but too reliant on this? Based in a quiet place of the country... too quiet for some but nicer than London? For office based it can be good. People from Norfolk will also appreciate the company. The usual corporate benefits but in a family feel company... if you can imagine that. Not that this is relevant anymore and it's changing... but keeping the old family company culture in other ways. If you've worked in a city corporate environment you may find it a little slow. Some cute things happen you don't expect to see in a company of this size sometimes.

Cons

Isolation socially & professionally. You're going nowhere, is it deliberate?: Working offshore without regular rotation not clue whether you're coming or going slowly socially isolates you taking all your friends. You become weird, looking for things to do during the day on your time off while your partner works. Yet when you do work you're so busy that for that short burst it's so hard it's damaging. But then you get time off and it's all a distant blur. You probably have many talents, but these will never be relised and your only promotion prospect is into a managerial role as PartyChief, or onshore into grind. No professional development and not making any contacts. The next massive thing that I feel many are blind to is that health and safety is culturally a problem. That is, the very strong emotional charge around it negates the potentiality benefits such a system can give the individual. Instead of empowering the individual health and safety is used against the individual to protect against lawsuit. Changes thus are more bureaucratic than pragmatic and put employee and against employer. It is this KIND of underlying problem behind the BP disaster. Any input results in giving the person making the suggestion more work; very much an anti incentive to be proactive on safety. It's so pervasive. People find themselves not reporting things because of that peer influence. All that is required is anonymous communications... but they just give talks. Exxon, Shell, BP, they all come across as idiots to the guy on the ground. Depending very much on your situation but you can easily get stuck. The company appears approachable but that's mostly front. Usually pay rises have to be forced by leaving and returning... I've seen this even with key staff... surprising. There are rigid procedures in place.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 5 English Reviews