Gavin de Becker & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 7 Jun 2019

Found 119 reviews

4.0
Gavin de Becker
Pros
  • "I've been with GDBA since January 2015 and have continuously worked to my current position as Program Director(in 28 reviews)

• "When I graduated from college in 2007, I wanted a career that valued hard work, integrity and had an opportunity to grow(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "But don't hold yourself to that, this is GDBA where we all start in the bottom as EPS trainees(in 14 reviews)

• "Difficult work / life balance at times(in 13 reviews)

1. "Top Company"

I have been working at Gavin de Becker & Associates for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company with very smart practitioners. GDBA doesn't follow the beaten path, they create their own; always looking for ways to improve and create peace of mind for their clients. Pay is competitive and the opportunities are definitely there if you put in the work. Leadership listens to your ideas.

Cons

Being a mission oriented company, naturally the clients needs always come first. Sometimes this doesn't resonate well with middle management who've been around for awhile and feel stuck in their current position/salary, and feel like they aren't being heard anymore. This can create resentment and a negative work environment. That said, I'm sure it's far better than it's competitors. 401k matching could see improvement.

Advice to Management

Never loose the ability to be creative.

Gavin de Becker & Associates2019-06-07

"Don't expect to have a life"

Former Employee - Security Staff Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is decent- better than most uniformed armed security jobs. The starting pay is what you would make as a supervisor for a uniformed company, but with added overtime due to the 12 hour shifts. The base pay is the same, but the fact that you're getting overtime by virtue of the 12 hour shifts and/or 48 hour work week (depending on the state you're in. For CA anything over 8 hours on any given day is OT) bumps up...

Cons

Where to begin? Like I said in the "pros" section, while the pay looks decent on paper, it really isn't when you see what kind of hours you work to earn it. The scheduling can be downright atrocious. As a starting protector you will work a 48 hour week via 12 hour night shifts. 4 on, 3 off sounds pretty good until you realize that there is never any consistency or reliability with the scheduling. Every week is different,...

Advice to Management

Realize that you can slow down the turn-over rate in the company dramatically and not spend as much on recruiting or EPS classes if you would just fix the schedule. The pay could very likely be higher as well, but I'm a firm believer that the schedule is the root of the problem. I understand that these are very demanding clients that pay good money for these services, but it does them no good to have protectors that...

Gavin de Becker & Associates2019-05-25

"Love it!"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Growing fast, exciting opportunities, helping our clients in times of their greatest fear or stress. Rewarding as hell!

Cons

Busy, fast-paced work, with lots of changes. You need to be nimble! We are dealing with life and death, and that means high stress.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Gavin de Becker & Associates2019-05-06

"SF Offices - Terrible Experience @ GDBA"

Former Employee - Global Operations Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Public transportation reimbursement Partial cell phone reimbursement GDBA was a great stepping stone to get into the Bay Area. I landed a great job after GDBA. Met really great people, but wasn't worth sticking around. It looks good on your resume.

Cons

They promise 48 hr shifts, but end up shoving you into 60+ hr work weeks. Truly, the job is sitting behind cameras, doing concierge type work, & occasionally writing incident reports. You're not allowed to be friends w/internal employees because GDBA is a contracting company. The job will not enhance your skill set either. They underpay you & overwork you. Company culture is terrible. The individuals working...

Advice to Management

Remember that GDBA employees are people and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity.

Gavin de Becker & Associates2019-05-14

"Secret Service for the Private Sector"

Current Employee - Senior Team Lead in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Leading the Industry of Executive Protection. Competitive pay, para military environment, great benefits, on going annual training, plenty of opportunities for entry level and experienced protectors. Some of the current opportunities include, but are not limited to: residential, commercial, field, armed covert operations, domestic and overseas travel with the clients.

Cons

Hours and schedule is not always predictable in the field as with any other EP work.

Gavin de Becker & Associates2019-03-27

"Exciting Career with excellent opportunities"

Current Employee - STL in Santa Barbara, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Outstanding training and top notch employees from all walks of life. Great opportunities for travel and advancement based on merit. Steady pay raises with projected progression. Senior leadership genuinely cares for its employees and makes constant attempts to make improvements that effect every employee.

Cons

Long work hours and constant schedule changes. Difficult work/life balance.

Gavin de Becker & Associates2019-03-27

"A successful career at Gavin De Becker & Associates."

I have been working at Gavin de Becker & Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Training is second to none and continues throughout your career. - Opportunity is available to those that seek it and who are willing to put in the time - and effort to succeed. - A merit based company.

Cons

Unsociable work hours can be difficult for some protectors to manage. Family life can be strained due to the pressures of work. It is not a job for everyone.

Advice to Management

Listen to and mentor your teams. It is imperative!

Gavin de Becker & Associates2019-03-28

"Merit Based Success"

Current Employee - Program Director in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

This is a merit-based firm were you make your own career. I've been with GDBA since January 2015 and have continuously worked to my current position as Program Director. GDBA gives you the tools for success and it's your drive and discipline that will create the career you want. Executive Protection has its fundamentals but is an ever-evolving field where opportunities are created.

Cons

If you have a background in security, law enforcement, or even military, this can be a great place for you to shine. But don't hold yourself to that, this is GDBA where we all start in the bottom as EPS trainees. Your career starts day 1 of EPS and that person with 1/10th of your resume can one day be in your direct leadership.

Gavin de Becker & Associates2019-03-11

"Stable Career"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Job security Competitive Pay Empathetic Leadership Opportunities to Grow with invested training Opportunities to work with other teams Understanding of the company operations and projects outside of assigned team

Cons

Leadership and Management training is being improved and more opportunities are being rolled out.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the employees, their strengths and their successes. A companies people are their greatest asset.

Gavin de Becker & Associates2019-03-14

"Top Tier"

Current Employee - Program Director

Pros

Active leadership and training program. Opportunity for steady growth. Can build a career with the company. High grade of professionalism among employees.

Cons

Scheduling and last minute changes. Difficult work / life balance at times.

Gavin de Becker & Associates2019-03-11