General Dynamics Mission Systems "9 80 schedule" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews about "9 80 schedule"

Updated 29 Dec 2019

3.6
General Dynamics Mission Systems President  Chris Brady
Chris Brady
Pros
Cons
  • "People don't know where their job stands when they fire upper management or relocate them(in 40 reviews)

• "Senior management doesn't seem to notice that the economy has recovered(in 30 reviews)

Reviews about "9 80 schedule"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good Place - Room for Improvement"

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

9/80 is a nice benefit with flexibility when needed (would be a 5 if benefits went back to what they were a few years ago and Seedy Office Politics were quashed).

Cons

New health benefits are not desirable and favoritism coupled with office politics makes it impossible to move/advance fairly. Supervisor/Lower Management is grossly under qualified, but is allowed to continue due to personal connections.

Advice to Management

Mitigate bias for promotions and training opportunities - Remote locations probably need a little more check in from multiple divisions due to lack of accountability.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-12-30
  2. "If you just want a job, this is for you"

Former Intern - Omnibus Support Program

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people Benefits Job Security Ability to move around company, if you're full time. 9/80 Schedule

Cons

As an intern for the team I was on, I was not given purposeful work. Felt as if I was just there to take up hours for the team. Managers only hire, they don't put you in the right spot unless it's beneficial to them. If you're young you may have trouble finding peers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Give interns meaningful work

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-10-22

"Really slow pace"

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, option to have 9/80 work weeks (9 hour days, every other Fridays off). Pay is okay,

Cons

The work is pretty slow. Really old school, traditional company. Shows little appreciation for work done and scrutinize what you do at work. Management doesn't really seem to care about investing in employees (have to fight really hard if you want tuition reimbursement for grad school/higher education). Hours put in > work done/efficiency. Emphasis on putting in hours and showing up but if you work efficiently and finish earlier, you don't get rewarded, only tasked with more work.

Advice to Management

If you want people to enjoy working here and hire talent, you have to start pivoting the company from a traditional environment to a more open and modern space where you encourage creative thinking and reward efficiency.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-07-17
  4. "Software Test Engineer at GD"

Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Bloomington, MN

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems for less than a year

Pros

They use the 9/80 system which gives you every other Friday off.

Cons

Management lies about converting contract workers to permanent positions. Project management is horrible.

Advice to Management

Keep your fingers on the pulse and know what your subordinates are doing. Don't rely on team leads or project managers to do your job for you.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-06-28

"Once a Great company - now overrun by Hedgehog leadership"

Current Employee - Director in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

9-80 schedule, "My Time" and other flexible time off that makes working for this new company president tolerable

Cons

Out of touch company president and strategy/business development person. They are hunkering down on a few of "hedgehog" capabilities rather than expanding our capabilities so we can grow with new customers. We are losing our Mojo because of them.

Advice to Management

Move off your "Good to Great" kick - the rest of the world has moved beyond Circuit City and GE. GDMS employees do not want to share their fate, but you can.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-04-11

"Great Mission, Great People"

Current Employee - Partner in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-Life Balance and 9/80 schedule Great people We do important, meaningful work Stability and growth opportunities Work with latest and greatest Leadership listens Perks

Cons

Some (not all) of the upper level execs do not really understand the challenges we face in a very competitive market. That being said, the partnership is becoming stronger and an effort is being made to better understand so they can help assist more

Advice to Management

We have some really great people doing some really great things and that make me very proud to be a part of GDMS. I have learned so much from my manager and other hiring managers I have partnered with, it makes it much easier to love what you do when you really appreciate who you are doing it for! I would suggest executives continue to listen to employees and continue to learn and make improvements based on what they hear, not on monetary reasons alone. I look forward to many more years here

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-02-08
  7. "Really important work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Taunton, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A committed, patriotic workforce. Lots of locations and varied projects, if you’re inclined to roam. Adopting Agile on most new projects. 9/80 schedule. 100% 401k match.

Cons

Not much to speak of other than it’s a large defense contractor with a lot of rules such as timekeeping.

Advice to Management

Try to flatten out the management structure a bit. Too many layers drives too many meetings and wasted time.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-09-07
  8. "Management needs to be better prepared for turbulence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

9/80 schedule, some good teams and some good talent.

Cons

Management does not know how to manage tasking and scheduling when the going gets though. They excel at placing blame and yelling though.

Advice to Management

Learn to bite enough that you can chew and not run around like chickens with your heads cut off.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-05-06

"Great Place to Grow Your Career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

• The company values both Operational & People Excellence; it permeates our culture. • Innovation, collaboration and agility are part of the fabric of the organization, along with a strong focus on continuous improvement. • A leadership team that is truly invested in our individual and collective success • A diverse mix of talented and dedicated people • Interesting and challenging work • Lots of career development programs and ways to move up or across the company • Great benefits, 9/80 work schedule • Terrific, new San Jose/Silicon Valley facility – a high tech, casual vibe and thoughtfully designed to promote collaboration and interaction • Fun, inclusive, family atmosphere – free popcorn on working Fridays, a pool table, foosball and ping pong tables, yoga classes, holiday parties and a number of celebrations and activities that regularly bring us together, including initiatives that benefit our local community

Cons

It’s a fast-paced environment so it may not suit someone who is uncomfortable with change.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Continue to regularly meet with your employees to understand their needs, recognize their achievements and solicit their ideas.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-03-01

"Great in some areas, bad in others"

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

They have the 9/80 schedule. I can take time off and make it up by working extra hours if you don't want to use vacation.

Cons

I feel like a gear in the company.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-02-13