General Dynamics Mission Systems "9 80 schedule" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews about "9 80 schedule"

Updated 19 Jul 2019

Found 1025 reviews

3.6
Chris Brady
Pros
Cons
  • "People don't know where their job stands when they fire upper management or relocate them(in 40 reviews)

• "Senior management doesn't seem to notice that the economy has recovered(in 30 reviews)

Reviews about "9 80 schedule"

Return to all Reviews

"Once a Great company - now overrun by Hedgehog leadership"

Current Employee - Director in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

9-80 schedule, "My Time" and other flexible time off that makes working for this new company president tolerable

Cons

Out of touch company president and strategy/business development person. They are hunkering down on a few of "hedgehog" capabilities rather than expanding our capabilities so we can grow with new customers. We are losing our Mojo because of them.

Advice to Management

Move off your "Good to Great" kick - the rest of the world has moved beyond Circuit City and GE. GDMS employees do not want to share their fate, but you can.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-04-11

"Great Mission, Great People"

Current Employee - Partner in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-Life Balance and 9/80 schedule Great people We do important, meaningful work Stability and growth opportunities Work with latest and greatest Leadership listens Perks

Cons

Some (not all) of the upper level execs do not really understand the challenges we face in a very competitive market. That being said, the partnership is becoming stronger and an effort is being made to better understand so they can help assist more

Advice to Management

We have some really great people doing some really great things and that make me very proud to be a part of GDMS. I have learned so much from my manager and other hiring managers I have partnered with, it makes it much easier to love what you do when you really appreciate who you are doing it for! I would suggest executives continue to listen to employees and continue to learn and make improvements based on what they...

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-02-08
  3. "Really important work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Taunton, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A committed, patriotic workforce. Lots of locations and varied projects, if you’re inclined to roam. Adopting Agile on most new projects. 9/80 schedule. 100% 401k match.

Cons

Not much to speak of other than it’s a large defense contractor with a lot of rules such as timekeeping.

Advice to Management

Try to flatten out the management structure a bit. Too many layers drives too many meetings and wasted time.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-09-07
  4. "Management needs to be better prepared for turbulence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

9/80 schedule, some good teams and some good talent.

Cons

Management does not know how to manage tasking and scheduling when the going gets though. They excel at placing blame and yelling though.

Advice to Management

Learn to bite enough that you can chew and not run around like chickens with your heads cut off.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-05-06

"Great Place to Grow Your Career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

• The company values both Operational & People Excellence; it permeates our culture. • Innovation, collaboration and agility are part of the fabric of the organization, along with a strong focus on continuous improvement. • A leadership team that is truly invested in our individual and collective success • A diverse mix of talented and dedicated people • Interesting and challenging work • Lots of career development...

Cons

It’s a fast-paced environment so it may not suit someone who is uncomfortable with change.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Continue to regularly meet with your employees to understand their needs, recognize their achievements and solicit their ideas.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-03-01

"Great in some areas, bad in others"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

They have the 9/80 schedule. I can take time off and make it up by working extra hours if you don't want to use vacation.

Cons

I feel like a gear in the company.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-02-13

"Exciting company with a vast amount of career opportunities."

Current Employee - Advanced Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

* Excellent employee relations * Flexible schedules 9/80 * Easily accrue PTO for a better work life balance * Job rotations if interest in other areas of the business * Yearly evaluations to guide you in your career path to reach your goal * Training opportunities

Cons

* multiple layers of management can tend to lead to micromanaging

General Dynamics Mission Systems2017-12-01

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Fairfax, VA
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Base Pay is good. 9/80 work schedule is Great.

Cons

No Management Strategy communicated to the work force. Management does not communicate beyond their own direct reports. Lack of team work across Business areas and LOB's. Does not value business development role and contributions Management changes MIP allocation with employees without discussing changes first MIP goals not released until 6-months into work year...

Advice to Management

Better communication and interaction with workers. Trust and support your BD support

General Dynamics Mission Systems2017-11-23

"LCS Team"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Pittsfield, MA

Pros

A bit of background on myself. I am a recent grad who got hired to be a systems engineer at this location. You honestly have to remember that this is a DOD contractor and keeping that in mind helps you understand the situation. First thing is that everything here is dependent upon funding from the government. No funding means no project which results in no work. I got lucky with timing and the team I was placed on. Many...

Cons

There are a couple factors that need to be addressed. First of all, if you are single and are out of college bear in mind that Pittsfield is a rundown town because of the disaster that General Electric caused years ago. Look up Pittsfield online before even thinking about coming here. For those who have a family and are somewhat settling in then this town might be a cute little suburb for you. However, for the single...

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing right now. People are happy and because of the diverse workforce group, it makes it worth coming into work.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2017-10-19

"Excellent workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dedham, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the administrative functions get a 9/80 schedule which is nice for work life balance. Have had an excellent experience with onboarding and really feel like there is a large population of very nice people who work for the company across many departments.

Cons

Dedham location is not near too many places so bringing a lunch is the best way to go. Office itself has a few nice break areas but otherwise it is not anything fancy like you might find downtown or in a smaller start up environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to proceed with organization efforts and remain consistent! This is a refreshing place compared to other companies I have worked for who do not spend as much time considering compensation and managerial decisions.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2017-08-29