General Dynamics Mission Systems Principal Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

General Dynamics Mission Systems Principal Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 27 Jan 2019

Found 12 reviews

Chris Brady
  1. "Work is Interesting"

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Upper Management is pretty good Engineering Management is moving toward Agile

Cons

Often get switched from project to project

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-01-27
  2. "Good place to work with the right job"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some of the work was quite interesting, with the chance to learn new technologies. The people were smart and easy to work with. There is some interesting travel available if willing to do so. Local management was good.

Cons

Corporate management doesn't appreciate the site and always seems to be conspiring to shut it down.

Advice to Management

Find more work for the location and quit cutting benefits.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2015-11-07

"Interesting work but questionable management"

Former Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems for more than 3 years

Pros

The work was very interesting.

Cons

I saw one of the Lead engineers at a meeting once move down the table, get in his co-workers face, and physically challenge him. Very uncomfortable and unprofessional situation. He was promoted to a manager a short time later.

Advice to Management

Don't promote violent people. It sends the wrong message.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2015-10-11

"Look elsewhere"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

The people I work with in Thousand Oaks, California are very smart, dedicated and willing to help everyone succeed.

Cons

Frequently have to work with other defense contractors which hinders project success.

Advice to Management

Utilize your best resources to their maximum rather than the cheapest way to perform a contract.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2015-10-03

"Like the work"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer - Software in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interesting work, and great people to work with. Flexible work schedule. I feel like my efforts make a difference here.

Cons

There has been a lot of management swirl, putting companies together, taking them apart, and then putting them back together.

Advice to Management

As much as you would like to consider engineering staff to be plug and play commodities, the experience gained from working several years on complex systems, as well as the knowledge of the customer is your greatest asset. Less experienced engineers may cost less from a payroll point of view, but end up costing millions in the long run.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2014-10-20

"Started out great, but some departments not keeping up with technology."

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Needham, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

If you are in the right department, you can grow your career by moving to projects that interest you. Some projects are great, using at least current technology, if not cutting edge. Company budget and planning allows for being able to retain people when times get tough, though layoffs can still occur.

Cons

Some department managers are more concerned about staffing their jobs than allowing you to make career moves within the company. You may find yourself bounced from job to job becoming a "jack of all trades" which is great if that is what you want for your career. Not all department managers are this way, but if you get one, you only seem to have to quit to make a career move.

Advice to Management

Paying engineers well isn't the only way to retain them. You have to allow them to work on jobs that make them happy in order to have them stay.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2014-06-27

General Dynamics Mission Systems Response

July 17, 2014HR Operations

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. As our company adjusts to the changing economic climate, we appreciate your flexibility to be a “jack of all trades”. With government cuts and spending reductions, we have had to make changes to keep the company strong and ensure ...

"Bonuses at the top executive level and nothing for those at lower levels."

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Interesting work on the embedded side of the house. Unfortunately the other business lines are not winning anything lately.2

Cons

Reductions in workforce continue and those remaining have low morale and frozen wages.

Advice to Management

Get at clue! Middle and upper management are too heavy for the size of the workforce.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2014-04-07

General Dynamics Mission Systems Response

April 28, 2014HR Operations

Thank you for your review and for more than eight years with GDC4S. We understand that these cuts hurt, and we’re working hard to create a sustainable future for the company. To do this, we’ve focused on securing our core programs as well as exploring new markets, including in public ...

"The Place Where Efficiency is the Enemy of the Company"

Former Employee - Principal Staff Software Engineer in Sunrise, FL

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I learned a lot about my specific software engineering domain.

Cons

I was forced to work 6-day weeks but get paid for only 5. You must submit your time card precise to 30-min increments at the end of every day. Interesting project work is centered in Massachusetts and Arizona - employees at other sites are treated as internal contract labor. Goal is to bill the customer (typically the federal government) for as many hours as possible and maximize the conversion of awarded contracts...

General Dynamics Mission Systems2013-10-30

"Good people, interesting project, average company"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer - Software in Arlington, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was able to work with very smart, team-minded people on an interesting project. Salary was competitive. Above average work was rewarded with out-of-term bonuses.

Cons

The company repeatedly cut benefits and leave in the interest of the greater good yet never returned them. The company had so many divisions that it was often hard to discern which benefits or policies applied to which groups.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2013-04-11

"Benefits and Salary are good to start, but Upper Management needs to look at Upside down Management structure."

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems

Pros

Salary, Security Clearance, Education benefit, 401k (average matching).

Cons

Less Senior people are managing more senior people

Advice to Management

Never create a situation where a less senior person is the boss over a more senior person. Lower wage grades should never be over higher wage grades, it is a fundamental conflict of interest, and you wind up loosing your more senior experienced people.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2010-04-16