General Dynamics Mission Systems Staff Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

General Dynamics Mission Systems Staff Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 7 Apr 2019

Found 20 reviews

4.7
Chris Brady

"Forever grateful for my time at GDMS Viz"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really can't imagine a better place to start out my career and was with the Viz office for almost 11 years. I was surrounded by incredibly talented and friendly people who were more than happy to share their knowledge with me. On top of that I was faced with complex problems that challenged me, got to work with some of the latest web technologies and distributed systems before they were common place, and was provided...

Cons

GDMS is a defense contractor, and with that comes some annoyances that are just part of government contracts. That said office management does an excellent job of shielding their employees from as much of that as they can. Also, over the years salary compensation has fallen a little behind other top notch jobs in Pittsburgh, but I know office management is working hard to change that and I suspect they will be back ahead...

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-04-07

"Balanced Workplace"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many startup-like perks such as free beverages, flexible work hours, casual dress, and a lively social atmosphere Variety of projects to work on Lots of very smart co-workers Company is financially stable Very good overall benefit package

Cons

At the project level, sometimes painfully risk-averse Government customers end up tying our hands in times w/r/t ability to innovate or use modern tools Bureaucracy is here, and occasionally chafes a bit

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-01-10

"Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at GDMS for a very short time (<1yr), but really loved how employees got treated there. Management really tried hard to keep employees happy. GDMS is located in Scottsdale, which is in the nicer part of Phoenix. 9/80 work schedule which allows you to take every other Friday off. The "decompression room" has nice big screen TV, with X-box and Playstation along with pingpong table and foosball table. 401k matching...

Cons

The company can't seem to win any work contracts. Maybe marketing department needs to step up their level. Due to this, your job might not be very stable. Engineering tools (SW/HW) and workstations are a bit dated, not keeping up with the outside world.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and keep on improving.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2017-08-17

"Slow, boring, and stagnant"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

plenty of job security when the defense industry is doing well

Cons

tedious process, boring work, many lifers just trying to defend their cubicle

General Dynamics Mission Systems2017-03-19

"Software Engineer in Taunton, Ma"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Taunton, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Easy commute. Very flexing on working hours. Good facilities. Decent pay.

Cons

Bonus is selective and not advertised it all within the company. This is mostly an integration company. Not a good fit for SW engineers.

Advice to Management

Management is totally out of touch with the people that actually do the work. In this case, engineers.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2016-10-18

"Great People. Questionable Company"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone at the Pittsburgh "Viz" site was a pleasure to work with. The managers, the leads, the technical staff, the business staff, the support staff-everyone.

Cons

The company is short-sighted with long-term business development. They cut back too aggressively in downturns and lose talent and progress in order to make their short-term numbers look better.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your people and your long term. Don't give huge buyouts to execs in downturns when you're laying-off line workers.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2016-03-09
  7. "Staff Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Large company that provides stable employment, good benefits, and a decent salary. Majority of coworkers are easy to with with.

Cons

Seemingly a lack of accountability; there are some engineers who don't know the basics, or perhaps don't care, but in either case they never seen to be held accountable for not doing their tasks.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight and promote those who are doing a great job more quickly. Don't let the job descriptions prevent you from promoting young engineers who are worth way more.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2015-07-20
  8. "Mixed, great for many, but my interests diverged from company's projects over time"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked for 10+ yrs along side some bright, dedicated professionals who were/are committed to their stakeholders. Decent 401k match, benefits Company cafeteria Mostly good work/life balance (tougher to maintain the higher up the ladder you get though) I got my master's degree paid for while I was there; I'm not sure whether the education benefits are what they once were though.

Cons

It can be tough being moved around to different departments based on their need/workload (in conjunction with your current project needing to staff down) rather than your interests and skills. I found there was more demand for web/server/cloud skills in the SW dev marketplace in general than there were opportunities within GD to learn those type of skills to stay relevant and marketable overall outside of GD, so that...

Advice to Management

I don't know whether things have changed significantly since I've worked there but the projects on which I worked were very documentation and process heavy where better results could have been achieved using a more agile approach. Some of this might be imposed government contractual standards endemic to defense contracting, though.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2015-06-18
  9. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

Good work balance. Most new programs are using new technologies.

Cons

Still lots of old school process and managers.

Advice to Management

Become more agile.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2015-05-31

"Was good...now will struggle"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Was good when it was Motorola

Cons

Before it was a great company to work for when it was Motorola. Small projects were the key...one gets canceled, always had a place to do. Now...all big jobs...one gets cancelled and hundreds/thousands get laid off

Advice to Management

Investment...in your people, in your customers

General Dynamics Mission Systems2014-07-15