General Dynamics Mission Systems "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 14 Jul 2019

Found 1023 reviews

3.6
Chris Brady
Pros
Cons
  • "People don't know where their job stands when they fire upper management or relocate them(in 40 reviews)

• "Senior management doesn't seem to notice that the economy has recovered(in 30 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Forever grateful for my time at GDMS Viz"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really can't imagine a better place to start out my career and was with the Viz office for almost 11 years. I was surrounded by incredibly talented and friendly people who were more than happy to share their knowledge with me. On top of that I was faced with complex problems that challenged me, got to work with some of the latest web technologies and distributed systems before they were common place, and was provided...

Cons

GDMS is a defense contractor, and with that comes some annoyances that are just part of government contracts. That said office management does an excellent job of shielding their employees from as much of that as they can. Also, over the years salary compensation has fallen a little behind other top notch jobs in Pittsburgh, but I know office management is working hard to change that and I suspect they will be back ahead...

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-04-07

"Great Mission, Great People"

Current Employee - Partner in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-Life Balance and 9/80 schedule Great people We do important, meaningful work Stability and growth opportunities Work with latest and greatest Leadership listens Perks

Cons

Some (not all) of the upper level execs do not really understand the challenges we face in a very competitive market. That being said, the partnership is becoming stronger and an effort is being made to better understand so they can help assist more

Advice to Management

We have some really great people doing some really great things and that make me very proud to be a part of GDMS. I have learned so much from my manager and other hiring managers I have partnered with, it makes it much easier to love what you do when you really appreciate who you are doing it for! I would suggest executives continue to listen to employees and continue to learn and make improvements based on what they...

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-02-08
  3. "Adequate First Job"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people. Big company with some options if you've got the desire. Good work/life balance with many people putting in 40.0 hours per week. Flexible time-off.

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy. Things don't get done very fast and the communication with management can be slow. Lots of older engineers using older technologies that were deemed safe and reliable years many years ago.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2019-02-04

"Good place to work, flexible schedule, dame problems that most large companies deal with."

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work life balance allows active lifestyle outside of the office.

Cons

Slow movement up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Be proactive in helping employees map out growth.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-08-11

"Mechanical Engineer"

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time

Pros

Challenging and rewarding work Great work/life balance Good benefits Excellent coworkers

Cons

Slower to promote from within. You have to be your own advocate in order to continue to advance.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-08-06

"Good pay, kinda racist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Pay 2. Work-life balance 3. WFH flexibility

Cons

1. Borderline racist posts on internal message boards whenever the internal Diversity & Inclusion group posts anything. GDMS culture is very friendly to these people and does not discourage it. 2. Management is too involved in everything, so nothing gets done

Advice to Management

Just.... promote acceptance and tolerance. If that's all that changed, I'd be happy.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-08-23

"Office Manager"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Benefits Good work/life balance Large employer

Cons

Lack of accountability from management

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-03-26
  8. "Know where your area is headed..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis Junction, MD

Pros

Great work-life balance, very flexible (depending on where you work), opportunities to travel available

Cons

People don't know where their job stands when they fire upper management or relocate them. Those that work under them are left confused and lack motivation.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-02-13
  9. "Senior Software Engineeer 2"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Outstanding and flexible work/life balance.

Cons

Limited career opportunities without relocating. Difficult for individuals with established families.

General Dynamics Mission Systems2018-01-16

"Exciting company with a vast amount of career opportunities."

Current Employee - Advanced Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Mission Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

* Excellent employee relations * Flexible schedules 9/80 * Easily accrue PTO for a better work life balance * Job rotations if interest in other areas of the business * Yearly evaluations to guide you in your career path to reach your goal * Training opportunities

Cons

* multiple layers of management can tend to lead to micromanaging

General Dynamics Mission Systems2017-12-01