Genuine Parts Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 12 September 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Since upper management change in 2015, the company is only looking at the bottom line rather than the contributing factors or root causes (in 10 reviews)

• Long hours low pay and company doesn't care about work life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. "Team Lead"

I have been working at Genuine Parts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They promote from within. Flex hours.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

"Conservative culture"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Genuine Parts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to grow your career can be considered a positive but only if you know the right people and are willing to work late hours

Cons

Work-life balance, Paid time off, old school mentality, internal depts don't work together as in for the same company, longs hours are more important than merit or skill set

Advice to Management

Change the way you operate if you want to attract young talent

"Good Parts Company, not an IT company"

Former Employee - IT Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Genuine Parts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good, conservative company. Been around for a very long time. Promotes from within. Cares about employees. Good benefits. Promotes diversity and good worklife balance. People retire from the company after 30 plus years there.

Cons

This is a parts selling company. It is not an IT company. The IT department struggles with getting the upper management to let the IT department become best in class. Initiatives are started but unfortunately IT industry best practices are not followed through and thus projects fall behind or not completed efficiently. The IT professionals end up going above and beyond to meet deadlines. Everyone is professional and gets the job done, despite upper management.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to listen to their IT leadership and let them run the IT department as it should be.

"Counter Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at Genuine Parts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incentive programs employee discount. Vacation after 6 months. Water coolers, working vehicles.

Cons

Awful policies, racism, descrimination write ups for being sick and working overtime! Ignoring management descrimination. Can't have insurance unless it's backdated. You will pay a lot! Inventory counts that are off the day of and the day after inventory. Nothing is organized there is four different places to put everything. Inventory replenishment system works half the time only if even that. Oil is selling for $4.20 a qt when it is purchased for $1.78. You are expected to know who people are when they call and say hi this is Bill. For a corporation that has operated this many Years There is no concrete policies everything is fluid. Credit card machines are completely manual. Stores are impossibly understaffed. I spend a lot of time working punched out. If you go one minute over 40 hours you get written up as it is unauthorized overtime. If you leave sick even if it is legitimate, you are written up for leaving work without permission. As there are no policies in place that actually work properly your manager can change everything in a split second and then write you up for not knowing how to do your job. Human resources we'll just ignore you out right. There is to be no sharing of cash registers yet it goes on constantly. You are entirely responsible for your computer so if anyone touches it you get in trouble. Things that go on sale are usually not even in stock. Not to mention the random distribution center orders in the middle of the day. Regularly they send us tons of pallets at any random moment of the day. The inventory scanning system is setup stupidly to beep multiple times to try and tell you where that part belongs whether it be stock for a customer or on the sales floor. There is this absolutely awful customer support line for every single thing you want to do. I spend more time waiting for phone calls from places like Georgia than I do quoting parts. We price match but I was told not to price match and yelled at by management. Lots more. R.U.N!

Advice to Management

See cons.

6. "Overall review for tenure"

Current Employee - AP Supervisor in Duluth, GA (US)
    Current Employee - AP Supervisor in Duluth, GA (US)

I have been working at Genuine Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, continued growth, longevity, team-oriented, stability

Cons

Dress code, vacation time, tenure, advancement, quality

7. "Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Genuine Parts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team members and management team are amazing people to work for and work with.

Cons

None, the company culture is great.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. "Great Company"

I worked at Genuine Parts full-time

Pros

Very challenging but rewarding environment

Cons

Somewhat outdated work facility, needs upgrade

9. "Assistant Human Resources Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Human Resources Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Human Resources Manager

I have been working at Genuine Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career opportunities with several subsidiaries

Cons

Underpaid, micromanaged, and under appreciated.

10. "Good Company, Bad Department"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Genuine Parts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits for a non-government, non-high-tech company.

Cons

Tech, and other non-sales employees, have, and always will be treated as second-class citizens. Only recently have they been elevated above janitorial in importance. So, salaries for tech employees have lagged for years. Management of Store Support has been very haphazard over the last 10 years. Moving the emphasis from helping the customer get the job done to strictly call-center type metrics. To top it off, there were two support centers. On in Dallas, the other in Atlanta. The help vs. stats balance became very lop-sided. Atlanta churning calls, and Dallas actually fixing stuff. Finally, the Dallas managers quit in disgust, and then the building was sold. The manglement in ATL decided to just close the center in Dallas rather than find a new office. When offered the chance to apply for our jobs in ATL, 23 of 26 just laughed and found new, better paying jobs in Dallas.

Advice to Management

After more than 10 years of trying to tell them where they were going wrong, I have nothing left. Senior management is either complicit or oblivious to how this is going. Not sure how high this goes, but I got the impression that managers above our director were actually pretty good people, but unwilling to intervene.

11. "Solid company"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Boise, ID (US)
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Boise, ID (US)

I have been working at Genuine Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people/culture and work environment. GPC/NAPA takes care of their people and there is a lot of pride in the company. Relatively low stress. Benefits are great.

Cons

There can be lots of travel and sometimes it can feel like it's all about the numbers.

Advice to Management

Pay your good people well and they'll pay it forward.