Gepik Reviews

Updated 12 Oct 2020

3.8
  1. "Nice! Great Benefits"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Seoul

I worked at Gepik full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get nice healthcare and you get free rent. Also paid during summer and winter break.

Cons

Everything varies depending on school

2. "Okay"

Former Employee - Native English Teacher in Suwŏn, Kyonggi

I worked at Gepik full-time for more than a year

Pros

26 vacation days, easy to plan lessons

Cons

Have to desk warm, many students not motivated , mixed bag of what your co-teacher could be like

3. "Excellent opportunity"

Former Employee - Guest English Teacher in Seoul

I worked at Gepik full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Support from community, dynamic work environment, preparation for future work as an instructor, easy to save money

Cons

High work hours and extracurricular demands, variable work environment -- really depends on where you end up, little negotiating ability

Continue reading
  4. "Depends on the school you are placed in"

I worked at Gepik full-time

Pros

Great country to work in, co-teachers to share classroom management with

Cons

It can be difficult to co-teach with some co-teachers

5. "NET"

Former Employee - Native English Teacher in Seoul

I worked at Gepik full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job, good perks, if you're placed in a city close to Seoul the transport is quick and easy.

Cons

Pay is low by US standards

"Experience really depends on school"

I worked at Gepik full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fair hours, sick days, and vacation days ESPECIALLY in comparison to private academies - They seem to pay attention to an applicant's preferences as much as possible (being near a city, living close to your school) - Free housing and low living costs - Always paid on time - Coordinators and staff members really try to help new teachers adjust to the country

Cons

- Overall experience really depends on the school and/or the English co-teachers - It can be hard to get in touch with GEPIK coordinators in the event of an immediate problem - Positions are unstable with schools losing funding & adding more restrictions with each passing year (schools blocking GMail, switching from Microsoft programs to only Korean ones)

Continue reading
  7. "Teaching English in South Korea is a good overall experience"

I worked at Gepik full-time

Pros

Most of the difficulties of moving to a new country are mitigated by the program and your Korean teacher who's usually assigned by the school to handle your affairs. Close proximity to major cities, including Seoul. Great students based on my experience (but it's based on the school you work at)

Cons

You have to interview at the schools individually. Whereas with EPIK you simply apply to the program and are assigned a school. There are negatives and positives to the hiring process with both EPIK and GEPIK.

8. "Better than a hagwon!"

Teacher

I worked at Gepik for more than a year

Pros

- Government job, so no issues with being paid on time, health care and pension are paid into - GEPIK schools are close typically close to Seoul for easy access - More vacation time and generally more freedoms than in private academies (early leave, more time to take vacation - Good hours 8:30a-4:30a generally

Cons

- Actually working environment all depends on what school you are placed in and the staff there. School might as well be separate entities with how principals run their schools - Desk warming - The pay scale hasn't been updated in years to reflect the rising cost of living - There is no career advancement. If you want to teach university, most won't even look at experience at these schools

9. "Working for GEPIK"

I worked at Gepik

Pros

Government contract, so teachers have job security during the course of the contract. More vacation days than academy teachers

Cons

Not enough opportunities for professional development Pay and benefits do not increase in line with inflation Teachers feel taken for granted

Continue reading
  10. "Fantastic work experience..."

Former Employee - Native English Teacher in Seoul

I worked at Gepik full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a relatively smooth process to get on board with GEPIK, and I was fortunate to wind up at a wonderful middle school with great instructors and students. The city placement was great, and my apartment was a reasonable studio.

Cons

Once I left GEPIK's orientations and meetings, I noticed that they were pretty hands-off when it came to mediating difficulties in the school. I really didn't have too many struggles in that department, but once I called my representative and found out she was no longer the representative for my region, and I didn't really have much contact with GEPIK after that. I imagine they had assigned a new representative shortly after, but I resolved my issues in the meantime.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 English Reviews