Gilead Sciences Associate Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Gilead Sciences President & CEO John Milligan
John Milligan
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company mission and great benefits (in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits and potential for growth (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 101 reviews)

• No work life balance because of the heavy work load (in 29 reviews)

"No Money"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High powered project teams and fast timelines means you get to see drugs you work on go into the clinic and help patients (provided you work on antivirals.)

Cons

Scientists get paid dirt compared to people with similar education and experience in other areas. This is not Gilead's fault, but if you are a scientist here you will not be able to afford to rent or own a house in town and will be stuck commuting for hours, unless you have a wealthy spouse or parents, etc. Despite having recently helped launch the biggest drug ever, my total compensation has dropped for three years straight. My kid now walks home from school alone because I can't afford an after school program, and I have to do side work on the weekends to make ends meet. They're threatening to put us in open floor plan office spaces and that may be the last straw for me.

Advice to Management

Salaries here are not keeping pace with the cost of living in the bay area. Fix it!

"No work life balance"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist II in Foster City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist II in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

top notch scientists, rapid pace, senior leadership takes action on results of the employee survey

Cons

no work/life balance - work 60+ hours/week, highly competitive for promotions so can be cut-throat, bonus/merit increase doesn't make up for rent increase, perks not competitive with other companies in the Bay area, runs lean (read understaffed) so stress level is really to high for most people, lots of egos to deal with

Advice to Management

adopt a more flexible work schedule with ability to work from home, don't expect to function like a small company with 8K employees, and realize it's to lean

"Associate Scientist"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Foster City, CA (US)

Pros

Meaningful job by bringing the best medicines to the market in short time frame and enabling quality of life for patients.

Cons

Top down management. BIG ego. No professional growth or career paths. Lack of real and effective professional plans. High turn over.

Advice to Management

Invest in you workers with real action plans, not just talk and paper work excercise of professional plans. Be mindful and provide true supports.

"Associate Scientist"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in San Mateo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gilead develops, launches and sells products that help people. Good stock benefits.

Cons

Work life balance is bad, culture is bad, mid level to low senior level management treats people poorly

"Overall a very good company to work for"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist I in Foster City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist I in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous budget for instrumentation and consumables, very good health insurance.

Cons

Very tight timelines, long hours spent at work.

"Learned alot and still learning, there is more to learn when it come to R&D."

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences part-time (More than a year)

Pros

when you come to work you feel proud by making some differences for people who has less hope or no hope in their life (HIV inf.ed people)

Cons

none that i think of

"Good experience with broad potential for growth"

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Foster City, CA (US)

Pros

I work with several departments in a cutting edge research environment with some really good scientific staff. There are many chances to gain new job skills with each project task, and I sense a breadth of opportunities for growth depending on how one orients their path. The staff is overall very friendly and helpful. Much of the staff are fairly recent hires, and are more than willing to guide you through the many uncertainties newcomers face.

Cons

Somewhat long hours at times-there's a lot of pressure from aggressive project timelines with limited resources. The staff is spread out in a campus-like environment, and it tends to be more difficult to meet those outside of one's department or work specialty. The company is a bit underdeveloped for its size and ambitions in certain areas, such as its IT network and needs to promote more activities groups for interested employees, such as outdoors or sports clubs.

Advice to Management

Need to be mindful of differences between small/larger company infrastructure needs and services as they grow.