Gilead Sciences Contractor Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Gilead Sciences President & CEO John Milligan
John Milligan
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company mission and great benefits (in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits, vacation time is adequate (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is not the best (in 96 reviews)

• No work life balance because of the heavy work load (in 28 reviews)

1. "COntractors be AWARE!"

Former Contractor - Sample Bank Contractor in Branford, CT (US)
    Former Contractor - Sample Bank Contractor in Branford, CT (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about the industry and got a good company's name on my resume!

Cons

They will not hire you in for a full time employee role so be aware! My site in Branford, CT closed down so if you're from a company Gilead purchased, you're site might be next!

Advice to Management

Hire your CONTRACTORS!

2. "Contractor - Procurement"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice Facilities, Good Company, Free Quarterly Lunches, Compensation, A great company to work at if you have the right boss

Cons

Extreme Hierarchy, Significant Portion of Staff are Contractors, Effective information flow able to be overridden at supervisor level.

Advice to Management

I am amazed by how this company has managed to cure so many diseases, yet can't master the blocking and tackling of normal operational accounting. Please take a look at any situation where you truly have a permanent role and it is being held by a consultant and consider rectifying that situation. Eliminate consultants reporting into consultant situations unless there is a defined project. Also, if an area is suffering from extreme turnover, determine why. Gilead's a company people want to work for, but extreme silo hierarchy means that 2 people colluding can easily play their own game.

3. "Medical Manager"

Former Employee - Contractor in San Mateo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Contractor in San Mateo, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent products, good environment, famous global company power

Cons

Higher management needs to be coreected

"Special short-term project contractors brought in to fix a problem, but Gilead looks to fix the blame."

Former Contractor - Contractor in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

"Dynamic" corporate culture translates as chaotic.

Cons

Too much growth & no structure. Too many meetings, no decisive direction provided. Hurrying the pace deletes efficiency & quality of deliverables. My specific workplace was anarchic & dysfunctional, the managers arrogantly did not fix problems, but quick to fix the blame. Corporate public image is very negative with multiple consumer class action suits bad FDA ratings.

Advice to Management

Don't throw money at problems expecting to fix them. TQM or some semblance of structure need to be imposed.

"Really enjoy working here"

Current Employee - Clinical Data Management- Contractor in Foster City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Data Management- Contractor in Foster City, CA (US)

Pros

- Great Manager
    - Somewhat flexible hours
    - Lovely campus
    - competitive salary

Managers are very knowledgeable, and hands off
    Really try to work with you

Cons

- cannot work from home too much

In general I love working at Gilead, and have learned alot from here.

"Hierarchical management, political atmosphere, overworked staff, minimal personal development, great products"

Current Employee - Learning and Development Contractor in Foster City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Contractor in Foster City, CA (US)

Pros

Science focused company, proud to support efforts to fight diseases (AIDS, HBV, CF, etc.), good separation of medical versus commercial activity

Cons

Rigid and hierarchical management that underappreciates workforce. Very political and clicky atmosphere. I was told to stay quite in meetings for the first 3 months of my work. Micromanaging leaders. Huge turnover due to poor HR efforts. Critical thinking and creative solutions are not encouraged. Information sharing is difficult / non-existing. Really don't value/appeciate contractors.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your workers, including contractors. Provide better feedback. Stop micromanaging.