Gilead Sciences Director Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Gilead Sciences President & CEO John Milligan
John Milligan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, great leadership, teamwork" (in 42 reviews)

• "Great team of people to work with, good benefits, good work-life balance" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is lip service" (in 114 reviews)

• "No work life balance because of the heavy work load" (in 30 reviews)

"Brilliant company, brilliant people"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Personally, I love working at Gilead. I’ve been there nearly 6 years. I love the atmosphere, we are given plenty of opportunity to develop, I have a small team of people working with me who all enjoy working at Gilead. The leaders have changed recently, the outlook is very encouraging. Come and join us, if you’re hard working, wanting to go home with a feeling of satisfaction in helping patients live better lives!!

Cons

The company has grown rapidly in the last 5 years, it’s been recognised that the processes need simplifying with due respect given to ensuring compliance and patient safety. Feedback from employee surveys isn’t necessarily interpreted correctly but recently this has changed and focus groups were interviewed to enable more candid feedback and this is being acted on.

Advice to Management

The vehicle for company benefits is a little out of date, the benefits are all great don’t get me wrong, but a flexible benefits package would help attract and retain the great resources we have in place... people without children for instance feel like they get less benefits.... if our benefits package was flexible we could determine which benefits we choose and everyone would get the same amount (monetary value) in benefits...

"Exceptional opportunities"

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continued company growth
    Lean environment has allowed for fast skills and knowledge growth.
    Opportunity to build relationships & partnership to make a visible impact quickly.
    'Genuine' patient focus

Cons

Lean environment often means longer hours but in many teams flexible working is encouraged so late or early calls can be taken remotely and working from home is possible.

Advice to Management

Older, well established relationships often hinder operational efficiencies.

"Pressure-cooker environment"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Foster City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has overall good values and focus on science. The salary and benefits seem competitive for similar jobs in the area.

Cons

Extremely high-pressure high-workload environment. I have not seen anything like that within 10 years of my tenure in the industry. Work-life balance is lip service. The technology is ancient. If you start here, you will have to work on Windows that is 9 years old (I remember switching to it 10 years ago). Mac users - forget it; you will have to learn PC (the 9-year old software). Extremely blameful no-failure environment; mistakes are not forgiven.

Advice to Management

Strongly enforce work-life balance and reduce employee workload, otherwise, the turnover will continue. Upgrade technology and allow Mac's, otherwise, the most creative people will leave. Encourage mistakes and risk-taking, otherwise, creativity will stifle.

"Simply Toxic"

Former Employee - Director in Foster City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The rare moments when you meet with some amazing folks who recently joined the company and wanting to do great things.

Cons

Seeing the light going out in people's eyes as they are slowly destroyed by " our unique culture." It is a culture that is risk averse, reactive, fear based, extremely political and unable to innovate internally. The sotck performance and Wall Street's comments are echoing the same sentimemts.

Advice to Management

Take your gold and step aside.

"Generous benefits"

Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits overall whether you’re single or have a family

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

The benefits package is good for recruiting and retaining key employees.

"A place where your political skills matter more than your technical skills"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good campus and facilities, some genuinely good people that do a lot of the heavy lifting to enable the "climbers and political types" to shine.

Cons

Absolutely heartless place where you will be sure to be reprimanded for any small mistake but never be commended for all the hard work. A place where favoritism is rampant in all department and systems are antiquated.
    Genuine scientific dialog is frowned upon in meetings because one must park their brains at the door and execute on what had been dictated from top down, even if it does not make sense.

Advice to Management

Recognize the doers and reward them because without them the success of the organization remains in jeopardy

7. "Gilead"

Current Employee - Regional Director Public Health and Medical Affairs Latin America in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Pros

Excellent portfolio, lean structure, science driven, provide drug access to patientrs regardless of theor income and geographic location. Strong in Infectious Diseases, expanshion to inflammation and Oncology

Cons

Work life balance needs improvement, result of a lean structure. Carreer development is a topic to be addressed. Decrease in stock price after successful launch of Sovaldi

Advice to Management

Carrer Development

8. "associate director"

Current Employee - Associate Medical Director in Foster City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Medical Director in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good environment, good environmet, good

Cons

micro mana ge me nt

Advice to Management

none

"Lean and easy"

Current Employee - Director in San Mateo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small teams, big responsibility, lean, big impact on the world, Directors and below are competent; vps and above need to be more data and reality driven

Cons

Stuck in a 90's pharma model, too lean, jobs don't require you to have an actual impact, politics among VPs can be destructive

"5 Years at Gilead Sciences"

Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The learning is phenomenal because you do everything yourself - no vendor to assist. Also, you have multiple concurrent projects so there is no time to waste and no time to be bored. Your skills expand rapidly and your industry knowledge reach great heights in a very short period of time.

Cons

There is no time for personal life and no time for family. In order to be recognized, you have to voluntarily go above and beyond; otherwise, you will be dismissed and left out. You will be looked down on if you are an "average" performer. It's a swim or sink environment.

Advice to Management

1. Value and nurture your greatest asset - the employee. We work days and nights and weekends to ensure we deliver Gilead's promise to the patient. We are the worker bees who execute quickly and the results are flawless. Don't be frugal with the promotion, increase in pay, and stock rewards. In the grand scheme of things, these things are pocket change compare to Gilead's profits. 2. Promote a culture that values different perspectives. 3. People who are senior directors and above should take the time to develop people who are below them. We can do the same job over and over and do it extremely well and efficient, but it doesn't mean that we are happy. A person's growth at work has more to do with new projects, new challenges and gained knowledge and skills. This is how you engage people, especially those who are high performers.