Gilead Sciences Research Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.6
Gilead Sciences President & CEO John Milligan
John Milligan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company mission and great benefits (in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits, vacation time is adequate (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is not the best (in 96 reviews)

• No work life balance because of the heavy work load (in 28 reviews)

"You have been warned"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The cafeterias are nice. Each time a drug goes on the market, you get a cute gift. Company shuts down for xmas. Some people are nice.

Cons

Many people here have written about Gilead running lean and the long hours you will work. And while that may be true for some, it is not much different than any other biotech. We work hard no matter where we go.

The issue with Gilead is that the people there are awful. They will backstab you, try and sabotage your project, falsify data, walk all over you and NO ONE CARES. It is the norm.

I was never yelled at by anyone I worked with until I went to Gilead. Despite the fact that I worked very hard, and was very successful in my experiments, when I was attacked by a colleague, no one did anything. In fact, I was told I needed to do a better job at not getting so upset. That's when I decided to leave. How can you possibly tell someone they need to get better at taking abuse?

When I left and shared all of this with HR, the woman acted so appalled. But you know what? There still was nothing done to end the behavior. The person who was abusing me (and many others) has never been disciplined.

I can tell you, quite honestly, this is the worst place I have ever worked for. They pay less than everyone else, they don't care about you or your happiness, there are all kinds of weird inappropriate relationships going on that determine the success of the projects, and it often times feels more like a pick up scene than a workplace. People are so unhappy. They have been treated so badly and there is no recourse for them. There is no one there to help them. I honestly did not meet one single person who said they were happy working for Gilead.

Also, the people may be smart, but they are far behind on technologies and many of them are missing key skills to get new jobs. It's a sad place and I advise that, if you can, go anywhere else but here. Until they start showing they actually care about their people and their culture, this place is going to continue to sink.

Advice to Management

Get it together. You cannot continue to allow people to be treated horribly by their coworkers and their supervisors. It is a disgrace that your HR would allow this to go on for so long. Soon enough, people are going to catch on to who you are and you will not be able to recruit any good talent.
    I suggest a proactive action from HR where the people who are repeat offenders and abusers are eliminated to set an example for the others. Put someone in HR in each building to watch over things and be there for the employees. That way, these things can be caught quickly.

"Great company"

Current Contractor - Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people who genuinely want to help save millions of lives.

Cons

Some analyst level employees know more and contribute more than scientists, yet they are still analysts. Promote based on merit, not just on seniority.

Advice to Management

Constantly hiring from outside the company rather than promoting from within. Lots of "tribal knowledge" lost this way.

"Honest opinion"

Former Contractor - Research Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Research Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gilead Sciences as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary when compared to similar industries. Opportunities for individuals who have extensive schooling.

Cons

Lack of diversity.-cliques of the prominent group do not help other groups to the same extent. Exclusion.
    Culture of Contempt. PhD's looked down on others such as the plant operators.
    Communication is lacking. Contractors can have an array of problem since the contracting company does not communicate well. And Gilead will not communicate key information as they let the contracting company to communicate.

Advice to Management

Take leadership courses. Have 1 on 1 meetings with contractors as guidance and goals are important.

"Poor management in PDM. No advancement or development unless you are in a small prefer group of ppl"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively good stability. Coworkers are mostly chilled. Good equipment to get the work done. VP level or above management is alright but not too sure about the directors.

Cons

No work life balance. Lost in communications among different groups in the same projects. Strong favoritism towards certain race, sex, education and age group is demonstrated in director level managements. Management also has no intention to develop any employee who is not in their preferred group.

Advice to Management

Hopeless. They won't change ever.

"research associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate (Medicinal Chemistry) in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very exciting, engaging, fast pace. I feel like I can, and do, make an impact. I often have a large degree of freedom in what I work on day to day.

Cons

Stock price only seems to be heading down lately.
    Can be extremely fast paced at times.
    Base compensation lower than most others.

"Great Experience, long hours"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work experience, great benefits, and fun people.

Cons

burn and turn model, bring good people in, work them long hours with not much work life balance and wait for them to burn out. Get in the next crop of people willing to work long hours.

Advice to Management

Adjust work life balance, understand where young families are, not just single people out of college.

8. "Clinical"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Great learning opportunity! Good group of team. If you want to learn a lot in a short period of time, Gilead is the place. If you want to learn and expand in certain areas within your department, they are willing to accommodate. If you can get through Gilead, you will succeed in any company.

Cons

No work/life balance. Do not give credit/recognize for all the work done.

9. "Growth for those that want it AND show promise. Less efficient = more stress you have. No room for chillin ever EVER"

Current Contractor - Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Growth as professional
    Will give more responsibility
    Good for energetic professionals
    Good food on site for cheap

Cons

Management expects 100% all the time
    There are busy and "regular times", busy times are insane. Gotta be efficient or else pretty much.
    No bennys for contractors (as expected)
    Some look down on contact position
    Pay is not as competitive

Advice to Management

Keep busy (~130%) but do not over worked (~twice as much as a person can handle)

"Great company, not so great to work for"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Castro Valley, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Castro Valley, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences (Less than a year)

Pros

Job security, some good coworkers. Good benefits.

Cons

Too much competition to the point where it is counterproductive to the project. Fear based culture. Not enough positivity. A lot of politics. Work life balance is bad if you wish to excel at this company.

11. "associate scientist"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)

Pros

good company lots of opportunity

Cons

hire lots of contractors and conversion rate depends on your manager

Advice to Management

NA