Gilead Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
Gilead Sciences President & CEO John Milligan
John Milligan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, great leadership, teamwork" (in 42 reviews)

• "Great team of people to work with, good benefits, good work-life balance" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is lip service" (in 114 reviews)

• "No work life balance because of the heavy work load" (in 30 reviews)

"Brilliant company, brilliant people"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Personally, I love working at Gilead. I’ve been there nearly 6 years. I love the atmosphere, we are given plenty of opportunity to develop, I have a small team of people working with me who all enjoy working at Gilead. The leaders have changed recently, the outlook is very encouraging. Come and join us, if you’re hard working, wanting to go home with a feeling of satisfaction in helping patients live better lives!!

Cons

The company has grown rapidly in the last 5 years, it’s been recognised that the processes need simplifying with due respect given to ensuring compliance and patient safety. Feedback from employee surveys isn’t necessarily interpreted correctly but recently this has changed and focus groups were interviewed to enable more candid feedback and this is being acted on.

Advice to Management

The vehicle for company benefits is a little out of date, the benefits are all great don’t get me wrong, but a flexible benefits package would help attract and retain the great resources we have in place... people without children for instance feel like they get less benefits.... if our benefits package was flexible we could determine which benefits we choose and everyone would get the same amount (monetary value) in benefits...

"Loss of culture"

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

A company with the most intelligent and diverse background professionals.

Cons

In the last 5 years the company has grown too much, they could not keep the collaborative and innovative culture on the way of growth. No recognition. Very little owed and earned respect.

3. "Lean, maybe too lean"

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Small company mentality big pharma budgets. Opportunity to have real impact

Cons

At times it just feels like being short staffed

"Successful company with life-saving products"

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Knowing that many people's lives are improved by using Gilead products.

Cons

Success and rapid growth is changing how it is to work here. A healthy work:life balance is difficult to achieve.

"I thought white supremacy and colonialism was a thing of the past!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Right now nothing; the company lives and breathes on previous success thanks to some to great people who have long left the company.

Cons

Not sure where to start but I'll try.
    1. Company and the leadership has no insight into how bad things are right now; they are reaping the success of some great people who worked hard to bring the company to the level where it is at now. It is only a matter of time before the ivory tower comes down.
    2. Institutionally racist company and it does that very overtly. The value of 'inclusion' was added recently to hide this from the surface but this is endemic. If you are coloured, please do not join the company - you will be treated as a second class citizen with lower pay compared to peers, appalling treatment and no opportunities will be given to you.
    3. The company is for those who are 50+; no dynamism and very old hierarchical culture that is not receptive to feedback. If any of the top leadership read this review, they'll simply laugh and move on.

Advice to Management

holding multiple 'all-hands' meeting doesn't really prove that you are listening to those on the ground. The feedback above should give you plenty of things to act on.

"Prepare for hard work and no recognition"

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food
    Some good, smart people

Cons

Culture
    Work / Life balance
    Backstabbing

"Fractured company with little or no interest in developing the bulk of employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High paced company with some of the most highly educated people I have seen in the industry

Cons

No focus on development of you are below Assos. Director (in Europe at least)
    Hire the same people to Snr. Roles; mercenary individuals who are solely focused on their own careers
    Consider above mentioned individuals as leaders however on the whole, these people are micro managers
    Roles are 3-5 effort levels below the people they hire; end up doing very menial tasks instead of thinking about strategy
    VERY top down approach to management; culture is about DRIVING people
    Aggressive American culture
    Willingness to bring in contractors instead of promoting from within

Advice to Management

Start putting people first otherwise you will be left (as in a certain large European country, at the time of writing) with more than 80% of open roles unfilled for more than a year!

8. "Gilead Sciences"

Current Employee - Regulatory Affairs Associate II in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative and forward-thinking company who champion equal opportunities.

Great people.

Strong pipeline and exciting future.

Cons

Maybe less flexible than other companies when it comes to remote and/or flexible working.

Workload can get very heavy at times.

Recognition and promotion process can be inconsistent at times.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent when it comes to promotions and giving recognition.

Take a more modern approach to flexible working.

"Complete lack of work life balance"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Uxbridge, England
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Uxbridge, England

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free fruits
    Nice office
    Fair benefits but nothing exclusive.

Cons

HR department is a mess.
    Not enough people to do the work. So be expected to work long hours and to do the work of two.
    Work-life balance is terrible
    High turnover
    Overtime not paid at all.

Advice to Management

Lead employees with more respect so people do not have to leave to get a better work - life balance.

"Some animals are more equal than others"

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Core focus on science; highly respected company; plenty of opportunities to learn

Cons

Even though a new core value of inclusion was added, there is a culture where members of staff are able to get promotion and recognition for being "liked" by the "influental" people rather than on their ability. People at senior positions are much less likely to be scrutinised for their ethics or work compared to people "at the bottom". Unacceptable behaviour by directors almost always goes unpunished. HR department does almost nothing regarding informal complaints against senior staff members. So far your are "up there" you are untouchable.

Advice to Management

Operate a no nonsense approach to all members of staff not just those at the bottom. Senior or influential members can get away with murder and do not get sacked or reprimanded for underperformance or inappropriate behaviour. Take inclusion seriously and apply it to all levels of staff.