Gilead Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Gilead Sciences Reviews

Updated 20 October 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company mission and great benefits (in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits, vacation time is adequate (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is not the best (in 96 reviews)

• No work life balance because of the heavy work load (in 28 reviews)

"Disorganized"

Pros

Little organization and guidance leads to a lot of autonomy and independent decision making

Cons

Independent decision making is apparently frowned upon. Initiative is also frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Cascade goals, and when direction is obviously needed, provide the direction. When latitude is available, clearly state the latitude.

2. "Associate Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Agile and flexible work environment.

Cons

Need to be a self-starter and motivated to learn.

"Sr Manager"

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Robin (CFO) is a great

Cons

where do I start? this place does not have human kindness and this place is not what you know rather who you know. Bosses will come to face and say its better you quit. Rally the most horrible place I ever worked. I went into sever depression and had no self stem due the way I was treated. Long story short I have found a great job and folks that I can relate to and a n environment where I can thrive and grow.

Advice to Management

Make sure you listen and know whats going on under your nose. No wonder there are so many employee relate law suits that is being filed all the time. I have not seen a company with this many law suits in my 25 years of me being in the workforce.

"You have been warned"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The cafeterias are nice. Each time a drug goes on the market, you get a cute gift. Company shuts down for xmas. Some people are nice.

Cons

Many people here have written about Gilead running lean and the long hours you will work. And while that may be true for some, it is not much different than any other biotech. We work hard no matter where we go.

The issue with Gilead is that the people there are awful. They will backstab you, try and sabotage your project, falsify data, walk all over you and NO ONE CARES. It is the norm.

I was never yelled at by anyone I worked with until I went to Gilead. Despite the fact that I worked very hard, and was very successful in my experiments, when I was attacked by a colleague, no one did anything. In fact, I was told I needed to do a better job at not getting so upset. That's when I decided to leave. How can you possibly tell someone they need to get better at taking abuse?

When I left and shared all of this with HR, the woman acted so appalled. But you know what? There still was nothing done to end the behavior. The person who was abusing me (and many others) has never been disciplined.

I can tell you, quite honestly, this is the worst place I have ever worked for. They pay less than everyone else, they don't care about you or your happiness, there are all kinds of weird inappropriate relationships going on that determine the success of the projects, and it often times feels more like a pick up scene than a workplace. People are so unhappy. They have been treated so badly and there is no recourse for them. There is no one there to help them. I honestly did not meet one single person who said they were happy working for Gilead.

Also, the people may be smart, but they are far behind on technologies and many of them are missing key skills to get new jobs. It's a sad place and I advise that, if you can, go anywhere else but here. Until they start showing they actually care about their people and their culture, this place is going to continue to sink.

Advice to Management

Get it together. You cannot continue to allow people to be treated horribly by their coworkers and their supervisors. It is a disgrace that your HR would allow this to go on for so long. Soon enough, people are going to catch on to who you are and you will not be able to recruit any good talent.
    I suggest a proactive action from HR where the people who are repeat offenders and abusers are eliminated to set an example for the others. Put someone in HR in each building to watch over things and be there for the employees. That way, these things can be caught quickly.

"Sr CTMA"

Former Employee - Senior CTMA in Foster City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior CTMA in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, budget, therapies, access program, medication assistance

Cons

Horrible management, no corporate culture, no direction or training

Advice to Management

Allow employees to switch line managers if there is a clear conflict. This was not afforded to me.

7. "associate director"

Current Employee - Associate Medical Director in Foster City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Medical Director in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good environment, good environmet, good

Cons

micro mana ge me nt

Advice to Management

none

"Drug Safety"

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

They offer great benefits (eg. vacation sick leave etc)

Cons

There is a high turn around

"Mixed Reviews"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Products, very smart people who are focused around saving lives.

Cons

Company still suffers from infrastructure issues, very long hours, hardly any worklife balance. Easy to get burnt out.

Advice to Management

Really pay attention to employee population and what they're saying.

"Hierarchical, good for 3-5 years (Dev ops)"

Current Employee - Manager in Foster City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Foster City, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Usual: Complimentary parking everywhere. Large campus. Lake in the middle of campus. Good subsidized food, especially the salad bar. Great people to work with. 401k match. Espp up to 15% salary. Offices for managers or higher levels. Gym nearby, on campus for FTEs. Shuttles to SF, East Bay, and South Bay (new so still working it kinks). Good training and learning opportunities depending on level. Business class travel for international business trips. Depending on Dept, can show appreciation for one another via value at works awards or Gilead thanks which is great.

Overall great place to work and build your network, your skill sets, and opportunity to work in and learn to excel in a matrixed environment. Compared to a start up, great hours! Compared to start up, great place to make mistakes (or to practice things by trial and error) and learn from them. Being a fast learner is appreciated here and how one excels. Being able to navigate through the mean girls and narcissists and talkers is a good skill to learn too, and how one excels. Gilead is open about this: people hang out and chat with one another with ulterior motives; you might scratch their back later if they scratch yours. Side conversations are where all the real stuff happens.

Good place to work for 3-5 years. I appreciate the opportunity to experience so much professionally in such a short amount of time. I'd rather learn here than somewhere else! Mostly friendly culture which makes it easier.

Cons

People are not technologically savvy here, and that's a problem because time, resources could be saved. Company cares too​ much about cyber security threats. Let us get newer office suite! Jeez. Why are senior leadership bogged down with this responsibility when the day to day experiences with software are had by the worker bees?

Old version of Google chrome is used because they can't figure out how to get their regulated software to work (suuure).

Culture is bipolar, risk takers on submissions and bulldogs to health authorities - and big proponents of going fast in general - but conservative in internal treatment of staff and handling difficult situations; and promotions (read other's reviews here). Can lead to passive aggressive attacks when forced to work with people even though you dislike one another simply b/c managers don't want to rock the boat or cause drama. Address the issues within group or team head on in a timely manner. Rip off the band-aid! Low quotas for promotion each year. Small raises each year even as a rockstar. Segue to...

So much drama (read: politics) which isn't a huge surprise given hierarchical culture. Too much deference given to and power willingly given up by lower levels to senior middle management for their agreement, or buy in. Can't people make a decision themselves these days? Take a stand, have an opinion and justify it but be willing to be wrong or rejected.

Too much separation between senior leadership and everyone else. The problems they want to address are very different from the ones I'd like to address.

Also lack of knowledge about what everyone's role is.

Advice to Management

HR, Educate everyone on what their roles are. Build incentives structure for compassion and kindness in team dynamic. Get better newer software please. Dying here. Address hierarchical problems by getting senior leadership to be more approachable or compassionate. Show you value efficient approach re: people to people problems, not just the business metrics. They're interrelated! People are all human but somehow there's a tendency for people to get treated as lesser than. If they don't feel good, you think they're going to go that extra step just 'cause? Treat compassion to project leads and MDs. Give coaching to managers on how to see someone's strengths and utilize them fully.

"Another one for "money doesn't buy happiness or job satisfaction...""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time

Pros

Good compensation, nice facilities, some good people

Cons

Worst senior leadership I've seen, "unwritten rules", analysis paralysis, quirky cast of characters in prominent roles, TY "blacklist", "our way or the highway" mentality, avoid PDM, not enough kool aid to go around, not as progressive as other companies when it comes to work life flexibility

Advice to Management

Your not the type to look in the mirror, so I'm not sure it would matter anyway - but start replacing senior legacy leaders in PDM. They aren't ready to manage a maturing company - the start up days are over.