Gilead Sciences Senior Research Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.9
Gilead Sciences President & CEO John Milligan
John Milligan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company mission and great benefits (in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits and potential for growth (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a struggle (in 101 reviews)

• No work life balance because of the heavy work load (in 29 reviews)

1. "Positive experience"

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and potential for growth

Cons

Work- life balance is skewed towards work

"You have been warned"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The cafeterias are nice. Each time a drug goes on the market, you get a cute gift. Company shuts down for xmas. Some people are nice.

Cons

Many people here have written about Gilead running lean and the long hours you will work. And while that may be true for some, it is not much different than any other biotech. We work hard no matter where we go.

The issue with Gilead is that the people there are awful. They will backstab you, try and sabotage your project, falsify data, walk all over you and NO ONE CARES. It is the norm.

I was never yelled at by anyone I worked with until I went to Gilead. Despite the fact that I worked very hard, and was very successful in my experiments, when I was attacked by a colleague, no one did anything. In fact, I was told I needed to do a better job at not getting so upset. That's when I decided to leave. How can you possibly tell someone they need to get better at taking abuse?

When I left and shared all of this with HR, the woman acted so appalled. But you know what? There still was nothing done to end the behavior. The person who was abusing me (and many others) has never been disciplined.

I can tell you, quite honestly, this is the worst place I have ever worked for. They pay less than everyone else, they don't care about you or your happiness, there are all kinds of weird inappropriate relationships going on that determine the success of the projects, and it often times feels more like a pick up scene than a workplace. People are so unhappy. They have been treated so badly and there is no recourse for them. There is no one there to help them. I honestly did not meet one single person who said they were happy working for Gilead.

Also, the people may be smart, but they are far behind on technologies and many of them are missing key skills to get new jobs. It's a sad place and I advise that, if you can, go anywhere else but here. Until they start showing they actually care about their people and their culture, this place is going to continue to sink.

Advice to Management

Get it together. You cannot continue to allow people to be treated horribly by their coworkers and their supervisors. It is a disgrace that your HR would allow this to go on for so long. Soon enough, people are going to catch on to who you are and you will not be able to recruit any good talent.
    I suggest a proactive action from HR where the people who are repeat offenders and abusers are eliminated to set an example for the others. Put someone in HR in each building to watch over things and be there for the employees. That way, these things can be caught quickly.

"Great Experience, long hours"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work experience, great benefits, and fun people.

Cons

burn and turn model, bring good people in, work them long hours with not much work life balance and wait for them to burn out. Get in the next crop of people willing to work long hours.

Advice to Management

Adjust work life balance, understand where young families are, not just single people out of college.

"Senior Research Associate II"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate II in Foster City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate II in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding work, smart colleagues, great project opportunities.

Cons

Potentially political environment, occasional late evenings / weekend work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. It's reassuring to work for a company with top-notch leadership and smart investment strategy.

6. "Fun"

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate II in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Alot of really interesting work

Cons

The bay area is a ridiculous place

"Benefits are good but a lot of politics and inbreeding."

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits if you stay out of the way.

Cons

Not the greatest atmosphere. You will learn is a few days it might have been better somewhere else so if your interviewing keep interviewing a better door will open. Here there is a lot of stealing work and ideas by managers and calling it their own. Its in all departments. You should be aware and then walk into the door.

Advice to Management

Good Luck! Hopefully at some point some one in your ranks will understand its not who you know but what you know.

8. "Amazing Company, fast growing"

I have been working at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots to learn, benefits, good work

Cons

lots of work, so dont expect to have a great social life

Advice to Management

None

"Amazing Benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate I in Oceanside, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate I in Oceanside, CA (US)

Pros

Not only are the actual benefits here pretty great, but there are great fringe benefits like lunches and gifts all the time.

Cons

For me, the only Con is my own commute. Also growing at such a fast rate that lab space is becoming cramped, but that is in the works.

Advice to Management

They do a wonderful job of setting goals and helping their employees get the most out of their opportunities already.

"Work Hard, Learn Lots, Then Find Another Company That Will Pay You What You're Worth"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate

I worked at Gilead Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- aggressive environment convinces employees to eliminate their social lives , commit themselves entirely to the company, and wait for their stock options to vest before hurrying to the next better-paying job

Cons

- refusal to hire contractors in order to avoid paying out the recruiters and committing to full-time employee benefits
    - very low salary compensation compared to other comparable companies
    - bonuses and raises are practically negligible
    - micro-management from managers who are overworked and not fit to manage people
    - unprofessional upper-management not interested in contributing to a positive or nurturing work environment whatsoever
    - the poison of politics lurks heavily in every department

Advice to Management

- take several courses on how to manage people before joining the Management team

"Top-down, dictatorial practices"

Former Contractor - Senior Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - Senior Research Associate in Foster City, CA (US)

I worked at Gilead Sciences as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice campus, and subsidized cafeteria.

Cons

Disorganized, too busy to help new employees, inadequate resources to get work done. Byzantine procedures. Management is operating in crisis mode, issuing blanket orders that can't be implemented without huge delays in lab chemists being able to get work done. Very poor compensation and treatment of contractors.

Advice to Management

Work in partnership with lower level employees to find workable solutions. Make practices easier to follow and more efficient.