Glassdoor Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated 21 May 2020

3.8
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
Pros
  • "There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance(in 91 reviews)

• "Great people - i know cliche - but love the tech pool and challenges we solve everyday(in 52 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I think Glassdoor is still experiencing growing pains in where we want to establish ourselves in the market(in 47 reviews)

• "Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great People, Great Product & Great Future

3 Sep 2018 - Sales Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Glassdoor 2 months ago and have no regrets at all. My new colleagues have all been very welcoming, supportive and clearly know what they are doing. Not just from my own office, but this includes people throughout the organisation - from the ones I met during the onboarding process in Chicago to my colleagues based in Dublin. Being in sales, the product itself is fundamental to the pride I feel at work and whether I see a career in an organisation or not. Since joining Glassdoor I have met multiple clients from a variety of industries and the huge majority have been extremely happy with the product and service delivered. For me, this is so important and fills me with confidence in the decision I made to leave my last company and join Glassdoor. I've personally experienced working for a company during its hyper-growth stage and loved it. My job now allows me to be part of a similar journey at Glassdoor, which is so exciting. It is truly a great time to be at Glassdoor!

Cons

Obviously, when a company is growing at such a pace then you will have growing pains and certain challenges. But to be honest that is what excited me about joining Glassdoor and what keeps my job interesting. Each day brings new challenges, but if your head is in the right place and you are prepared to work hard, then the satisfaction of genuinely contributing to the success of a business outweighs any negatives.

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Room for improvement

15 Mar 2017 - Sales in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team is strong and there have been good relationships formed in the sales team. Autonomy is available in your role, given that the numerous reports are completed weekly. Office location is good as well

Cons

Too much administration and company meetings done weekly to run an effective book of business Micro management is peaking through Being a UK entity of a US business, you are a second thought to their needs and demands and focus is not given entirely to growing pains in a new market The product is a 'nice to have' vs a necessity Still no benefits - after years of requesting Career Progression is slow for a start-up

13 people found this review helpful

Director, EMEA Sales

Thanks for your review. It’s clear we really missed the mark for you. To your point, we do have a very talented team in London and it’s great to hear you formed good relationships with the team — they’re one of the highest performing in the entire org, so I hear you on the pressure. I encourage you to reach out directly to me or the team to help clarify your needs. We’re a close team and all work very hard to continue to advance Glassdoor, keep up with our exponential growth and develop together. Our CEO recently visited London and shared the vision for next year and the UK is a focal point. You are a local leader and I encourage you to please share your voice and ideas with frequency. It’s always welcome. Thank you, Director, Glassdoor EMEA

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good people and great mission but lack of career progression

6 Nov 2017 - Sales in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor EMEA is a small team, people genuinely care about one another and about the mission of the company. We work with the best brands in the world and we've been growing rapidly which means that no two days are the same on the job, regardless of which team you sit on - it's exciting to be part of that growth. The organization is fairly flat and the executive team in the US is welcoming of feedback, and over the past few months has been communicating with more transparency with the EMEA group which has been well received - we're getting new offices in EMEA that are better aligned to the type of company Glassdoor is, and that's exciting.

Cons

There are cons that are associated with the growing pains of being a start up and they're not negatives as such but to someone coming from a larger organization those might be challenging - for example, working at Glassdoor EMEA is a demanding job and it is not your typical 9-5. It also requires that you roll up your sleeves and pitch in where help is needed, even if it's not in your direct area of expertise (that means helping with external events, organizing team events to build culture and morale, etc). If you're not prepared to do that, this is not the place for you, at least at this stage of Glassdoor's growth. Glassdoor reacts very slowly to feedback - it reacts, which is appreciated, but it often takes months (and in some cases years) of mentioning certain challenges in order for senior management in the US to take action. We are still small enough - let's not wait until things get too dire. Then there are cons that in my opinion are preventing strong talent from staying and growing and they are the real challenges of Glassdoor EMEA - there are almost no opportunities for career progression (unless, in my opinion, you are an SDR and move into a sales / account management role) and it is a topic that does not get addressed well enough, especially for a company with the mission of Glassdoor. It is a topic that many people discuss amongst themselves and there is a general feeling of not being able to progress, but that management is vague about.

8 people found this review helpful

SVP of Global Sales

We hear you and really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. I'm glad to hear that you are excited to be a part of our fast growing team in EMEA. As a younger company we're forced to figure some things out as we go, like offering transparent career paths. While we can't make some changes and improvements happen as fast as we would like to, we really do greatly appreciate, value, and listen to employee feedback and suggestions. We know our employees are the ones on the front line living it daily. Thanks again for your commitment, I really appreciate it. Kate Ahlering

4. 5.0

Great place to work!

2 Mar 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor is the best place I have worked so far. It is one of those "good for the soul", "must have this work experience sometime in my life" types of places. Outside of the opportunity for growth and impact, these are a few of my favorite things: People: Every day I get to work alongside incredibly smart, mission-driven individuals who have low/no ego. It is such a refreshing experience, especially in Bay Area tech. Mission: There are few things as impactful as helping someone find a job and company they love. There is a lot of dignity associated with work and being able to help someone on their journey is incredibly rewarding. Product: Glassdoor disrupted the market. It is exhilarating being part of a company that continues to redefine the workplace and who gets access to what information. I enjoy helping level the playing field.

Cons

We recently stepped into a scaling phase. While there is a tremendous amount of opportunity, there are also quite a few growing pains. We are at an inflection point where we need to mature our organization and operations to rapidly scale. We are on our way but it's not always easy. The people that tend to be the most successful at Glassdoor during this phase are curious, adaptable and work well with ambiguity.

Glassdoor Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We love that your time at Glassdoor has been “good for the soul” and a high point in your career. We agree –– few things are more impactful and rewarding than helping others find a job and company they love! Just like any other company that strives to be agile and responsive to users, we will always be evolving the way we do things at Glassdoor. Betting equipping our managers and People Team leaders to help employees with change management is one of our top priorities, and we’ll soon be rolling out a redesigned manager training program that helps our leaders better support their teams through changes.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Everything I hoped for + more

3 Mar 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor continues to prove to be the best company I've been part of. I joined because of the people, the values, and the mission. Since joining, I have experienced incredible leadership, career development, and built great relationships. We practice what we preach and I've seen continued transparency from our senior leadership and beyond.

Cons

As a large tech company in the recruitment space, it's vital we continue to innovate our product and what we offer the job seeker and companies we partner with. We have transparent leaders who are guiding us through this scaling phase thoughtfully, but there will always be growing pains and areas for improvement.

Glassdoor Response

Thank you for sharing your experience. As we evolve we strive to continue operating in a transparent way. We hear your feedback about the importance of continuing to innovate in the product space to add value to our customers. Please continue to lean in as you have been, and again, thank you for sharing! GD Leadership Team

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Love Glassdoor!

21 May 2020 - SDR
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Amazing people -Amazing work life balance

Cons

- Company has growing pains they are working out

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Found a job and company I love

28 Oct 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Learning opportunities: I feel tremendously lucky to be in a job where I learn something new everyday and where my team encourages me to experiment, learn and develop. I was also able to switch teams internally and I'm very thankful to my managers for giving me the opportunity. - Mission: I joined Glassdoor because I believe in the mission and it's kept me motivated to tough it out during rough patches at work. Almost every employee can recite the company mission word-for-word and it feels so great to hear positive stories from users who've been helped by our work. - Manager/leadership: My manager is great, constantly gives me good feedback and advocates for us constantly. I have a lot of confidence in my department leadership; I feel like they really take our feedback to heart. - People & culture: The people are great and the culture is very welcoming and friendly. I really enjoy working with my team and have a lot of respect for the teammates, mentors and leaders I've met here. - Work/life balance: My manager & team leaders very actively promote flexibility, making sure we can WFH when needed or that we aren't checking email when on vacation (unlimited PTO too!).

Cons

- Small company with growing pains: We're working on getting processes and operations in place to scale, but there are definitely growing pains—priority pivots, under-resourcing, immature formal mentorship/training, etc. - Technical growing pains: There's also growing pains on the technical side. Data accessibility is a constant issue—#1 day-to-day frustration for me. - Post-acquisition plan: I think we're still finding our footing. There's been a fair amount of turnover as we reorient towards the next big milestone. - Experience varies by team: While some teams are doing great, others are struggling. It can be slow to rectify under-resourcing because of budget, management, etc.

7 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great fun, very rewarding! - Be prepared to WORK HARD though!

26 Apr 2019 - Account Manager in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

- There is great energy in the office every day, I never dread coming into work - Great support from everyone, from teammates right the way up to senior leadership - Exciting international growth! - Career progression is a genuine possibility - Management want to understand how you work, and adapt to that - Plenty of autonomy, if you find a way that works better, run with it (and share it :))

Cons

- Some growing pains, which is to be expected. If you don't like change, this is definitely not for you - Sometimes the work-life balance isn't the best. As I mentioned in the title of the review, "be prepared to WORK HARD". That said, you are rewarded greatly for your effort! - Slightly stricter controls/kpi's being put in place as we grow and expand in EMEA

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0

Sales Manager

21 Nov 2019 - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people here are incredible. Amazing office culture, great company mission and vision. Tons of opportunity to learn and grow your career

Cons

Growing fast. Growing pains come with that.

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

6 Nov 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, takes care of their people. Gives us the tools we need to succeed.

Cons

Company is growing and are experiencing typical growing pains

Viewing 1 - 10 of 46 Reviews