Glassdoor Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 6, 2021

Found 105 of over 854 reviews

4.0
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
Pros
  • "There is a lot of respect for your personal time and I think in general Glassdoor offers a good work life balance(in 91 reviews)

• "Great people - i know cliche - but love the tech pool and challenges we solve everyday(in 52 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I think Glassdoor is still experiencing growing pains in where we want to establish ourselves in the market(in 47 reviews)

• "Commute can be lengthy since the Mill Valley office is in North Bay(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Glassdoor

Join the conversation on

Tech

81.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Glassdoor~100431
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent

Aug 26, 2020 - Intern in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management , Work life balance,Friendly, Opportunity, Colleagues

Cons

Competitive, Busy, Loud, Stress, Noise

Be the first to find this review helpful

Glassdoor Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re thrilled to read that you had an excellent experience working on our EMEA teams, and that you felt you had a job that fit and supported your life. Your feedback is valuable as we look to grow into an even more equitable and inclusive place to work!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Glassdoor has transformed my career and life...

Feb 14, 2018 - Enterprise Relationship Manager in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Glassdoor has an amazing vision and a great company culture alongside a product suite unrivaled by anyone else in the marketplace with future innovations in the pipe that are sure to keep Glassdoor as the global leader in recruiting and employer branding solutions. Glassdoor has a great vision and mission, inspiring senior leaders and the best culture and values in the world. They genuinely care about people and they give you the opportunity to transform yourself as a professional in line with EMEA growth. Everyone seems genuinely grateful and happy to be here. There is no seniority complex among the management team and each individual is recognised as an important part of the wider company. A lot of time is also invested in personal development which I have not seen anywhere else. The facilities are superb and work environment is great fun. There is a positive work/life balance. Managers offer a lot of trusts which helps you to perform well and enjoy your day.

Cons

The business is at a critical juncture, and some crucial business decisions must be made to keep it growing and the standout in its industry. It seems we have just started this journey, I hope it's not too late.

5 people found this review helpful
    3. Ask Employees™

I would recommend my manager to a friend or colleague

Polled: Nov 2021Responses: 232 ResponsesResponses: 232Audience: All employees
      Strongly Agree 154 (66%)
      Featured Employee Response

My manager is hands down the best people leader I've ever worked with in my career. She's a truly gifted and inspiring leader. I cannot recommend her enough and feel lucky to work under her.

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Anything in life worth having is worth working for

May 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been at Glassdoor London longer than anyone else and feel that I am qualified to give a balanced opinion based on a number of different team changes and a significant amount of growth over time. I fully believe that Glassdoor is destined for greatness on a global scale and I personally enjoy working here very much. I look forward to every day, I understand and support the mission of the company, I know how I can make a difference and my goals are clear. I feel like I am well supported by my manager and wider team in the US and I also feel like the work-life balance is good. Our benefits program is slowly improving but the main benefit for me are the share options, which I value highly. The culture in London is good (in my opinion) although perhaps a work in progress. We get together and socialise pretty regularly. We always have team events in the pipeline and I enjoy everyone's company in the office. Some of us have been around for a while now and, just as with any company, others have left for various reasons. It hasn't worked out for some people, but at the end of the day, that's life. Glassdoor isn't for everyone and some people have probably had a pretty rough time and struggled, but I have thrived here. I feel appreciated by the CEO and in return I feel a strong sense of loyalty. There's no magic formula: if you like your job and you are good at it, you do well.

Cons

Let's be honest, we're not there yet, in terms of where I want Glassdoor to be in Europe nor where I thought we would be at this point in 2017. As a company, we're having to re-focus and set ourselves up for success, and I accept that. This is quite normal for a hyper-growth company. I'm not concerned about our strategy or momentum, but it doesn't mean that I'm not fed up about being temporarily restricted in terms of my scope. My hours can be quite long and there is certainly a lot of scrutiny and pressure. However, I've always felt that I can take the time I need to recharge as well as have flexible working. If you like an all-singing, all-dancing benefits scheme, everything on a plate, easy-sell corporate environment with massive salaries, then Glassdoor is not for you. If you don't mind pushing the envelope and you are resilient enough to rough it a bit on the journey, then Glassdoor could take you into a new league in terms of what you thought you could achieve and where you thought your career could go. You need to see the bigger picture and not get caught up on little things if you want to be satisfied working here. I actually like this in a way because it filters out those that can't, or are not willing, to go the distance.

14 people found this review helpful

CEO & Founder

As one of our first hires in the UK, I salute you for taking on the unknown and setting us up for success in our first-ever European office. You point to a hardworking scrappy environment that I cherish and appreciate you cultivating. You also point to areas where we can get better - we’re taking in your feedback so we can continue to get better and create an all around great working environment. We want you feel successful both in the work you do and where you do the work.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Exciting company where you can make a difference and work alongside great people

May 24, 2017 - Partnerships in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved coming in to work every day. The team are all so lovely and respectful and the work environment is great. Everyone is very driven about the Glassdoor mission and very passionate about their work. Glassdoor as an employer is super flexible and appreciates the work/life balance of their employees. You also get a lot of opportunity at Glassdoor to use your skills and develop professionally. It's still in many ways a start-up which clearly isn't for everyone but really what difference do you expect to make at the alternative, a 10k+ employees professional network company based in central London? If you want to really contribute and feel like your work makes a difference then you should work for Glassdoor. The direct management in my team was very supportive, great mentors and anything but micro-management. Generally Glassdoor doesn't really do micromanagement which also means you should know to manage yourself. Other pros are the competitive salary, great office location, nice team events, progression and autonomy. Talking for the London office, I wouldn't say the negative reviews really give an accurate idea of the work environment. There's challenges that come with any start-up but most comments do not resonate with my experience in any way. I can truly recommend Glassdoor to anyone that is looking for a meaningful job, with tons of learning opportunities, room for growth, amazing colleagues and a healthy work environment.

Cons

I had no reason whatsoever to leave on my own initiative for above reasons but the company decided to let me go due to focus shift away from most EMEA markets. Very disappointing and sad but I respect tough decisions need to be made in order to move the business forward - although in all modesty I believe this was a poor decision made by higher management as I (as well as my colleagues in the other markets) build up tons of relationships within industry and media landscape that will be hard to rebuild when focus will be shifting back to those markets. In addition to that we took on so many different tasks outside of our original jobs such as sales, marketing, pr, etc. (which I loved as never a day was the same), while getting paid for 1 which is a pretty good deal for the company I'd say. It's like spending ages on building a sand castle and then kicking it in. What monster does that, no offense. Anyway I'm all for flexible redundancy rules but perhaps in a more constructive way.

10 people found this review helpful

Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback, it’s meaningful and incredibly helpful. As we look for ways to improve & change, we will certainly take your words into consideration for the future. Hope you are doing well in your next endeavor!

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

GD Europe exciting place to be! Positive environment, lovely team.

Oct 23, 2015 - Partnerships Manager in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Team is lovely - Positive, casual and mature work environment of dedicated people - Great work/life balance - A lot of flexibility - Very exciting place to be - Glassdoor is growing massively every day and you get to be a part of it!

Cons

When you start at GD Europe you have to realize it's still a start-up feeling where you are expected to be a self-starter and learn the ropes yourself. Flexibility comes with ownership and you have to be able to carry this. If this suits you, you can count this as a plus!

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Supportive & Transparent

Jan 6, 2021 - Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Have had unbelievable support to be successful during Covid-19, including wfh expenses, work/life balance support, and team building opportunities. There are smart and experienced managers in place in CS who are transparent and direct, making our work fulfilling and easier during change. As the CS role's focus has changed as a result of our partnership with sister company Indeed, it has remained a value-add role for clients with autonomy, purpose, and responsibility.

Cons

Compensation could be slightly more competitive but benefits are by far incredible and make up for it.

3 people found this review helpful
    8. Business | Division of Glassdoor
      1.0

Not great

Nov 16, 2020 - Director in Mill Valley, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a mission driven company -- feels good to be doing something good for the world (theoretically)

Cons

The pay is very mediocre... that was okay given that work / life balance was pretty good. But, 60 hour weeks has become the norm. It's gotten political. Execs are leaving left at an alarming rate...

11 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Glassdoor is a mission driven company - helping job seekers find a job and company they love and I'm happy to hear that our mission has resonated with you. A foundational component of Glassdoor is also transparency. Earlier this year, we provided insight into our Compensation Philosophy - which one can find on our blog - which highlights that we target the 65th percentile as midpoint for salaries of non-technical roles and the 75th percentile as midpoint for technical roles. And no doubt, 2020 has been a challenging year with a global pandemic, moving to working remotely full time, and social justice taking a prominent role. Within Glassdoor, these changes were also layered upon a strategy shift and a focus on radical transparency. In addition to salary transparency, we have also focused on transparency into: diversity data and metrics, pulse (employee engagement) results, and promotion transparency to provide employees and candidates alike the insights and information they need to navigate their careers. Despite the changes that 2020 has brought us, we are excited about the progress we've made in these areas and the future impact we can have to help those at Glassdoor and everywhere love their job.

9. Tech | Division of Glassdoor
      5.0

Great Place to work

Oct 8, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good People Great Culture Work Life balance

Cons

Career growth is stagnant Compensation is low

Be the first to find this review helpful

Glassdoor Response

Thanks for taking the time to drop us a review! It's great to hear that our work/life balance, people, and overall culture have exceeded your expectations so far. Regarding your feedback about compensation, you can read on our Glassdoor profile about how our team thinks about compensation and total rewards, as well as access all of our employee salary ranges which were published just last month. Thanks again for your feedback.

10. Business | Division of Glassdoor
      4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to learn and amazing work life balance

Sep 10, 2020 - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to learn and grow and build your skillset. You are encouraged to learn new technologies and seek projects that will help you build your resume and career. Amazing work life balance even better since Covid. There is never any expectation to respond or work after hours. Very little wasted meetings/ email culture. Focus is on results and impact and little to no politics. Leadership is one of the most open/transparent and diverse (especially with regards to women) I have seen in the tech industry. Will pay good compensation in line with all the other big tech companies (but below FANG) if you negotiated prior to joining.

Cons

It is unclear how Indeed and Glassdoor won't be combined into one entity in the future given the recent acquisitions. That's not necessarily a bad thing long term for some as I feel the combined company would be a stronger brand name and resume booster but for others it may be an issue of job security. Not a lot of truly innovative projects. Salaries that you see on Glassdoor should not be this low for tech workers yet for some reason we can't seem to figure this out. Levels.fyi and/or Blind app can and should be acquired but we won't.

5 people found this review helpful
    11. Business | Division of Glassdoor

Great place to work

Sep 16, 2020 - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Cons

I’ve chosen to list my cons by category. I hope you’ll take these seriously. You’ll notice a correlation between some of these cons and Glassdoor’s recently released “Company Values”. 1. “We Are Transparent” is no longer true: 2. “We are Innovative” …boy, I wish that were true:

1 person found this review helpful