Glassdoor Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 29 May 2020

3.6
Glassdoor CEO Christian Sutherland-Wong
Christian Sutherland-Wong
1 Rating
Pros
  • "The work/life balance at Glassdoor is also outstanding(in 75 reviews)

• "Great people, autonomy, opportunities to promotion, and an amazing culture(in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • "While there is a tremendous amount of opportunity, there are also quite a few growing pains(in 47 reviews)

• "But a contact in the Workplace Experience team said that the Mill Valley office was going to accommodate management and executives, not all(in 23 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Glassdoor has transformed my career and life..."

Current Employee - Enterprise Relationship Manager in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Glassdoor has an amazing vision and a great company culture alongside a product suite unrivaled by anyone else in the marketplace with future innovations in the pipe that are sure to keep Glassdoor as the global leader in recruiting and employer branding solutions. Glassdoor has a great vision and mission, inspiring senior leaders and the best culture and values in the world. They genuinely care about people and they give you the opportunity to transform yourself as a professional in line with EMEA growth. Everyone seems genuinely grateful and happy to be here. There is no seniority complex among the management team and each individual is recognised as an important part of the wider company. A lot of time is also invested in personal development which I have not seen anywhere else. The facilities are superb and work environment is great fun. There is a positive work/life balance. Managers offer a lot of trusts which helps you to perform well and enjoy your day.

Cons

The business is at a critical juncture, and some crucial business decisions must be made to keep it growing and the standout in its industry. It seems we have just started this journey, I hope it's not too late.

Glassdoor2018-02-14

"Anything in life worth having is worth working for"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been at Glassdoor London longer than anyone else and feel that I am qualified to give a balanced opinion based on a number of different team changes and a significant amount of growth over time. I fully believe that Glassdoor is destined for greatness on a global scale and I personally enjoy working here very much. I look forward to every day, I understand and support the mission of the company, I know how I can make a difference and my goals are clear. I feel like I am well supported by my manager and wider team in the US and I also feel like the work-life balance is good. Our benefits program is slowly improving but the main benefit for me are the share options, which I value highly. The culture in London is good (in my opinion) although perhaps a work in progress. We get together and socialise pretty regularly. We always have team events in the pipeline and I enjoy everyone's company in the office. Some of us have been around for a while now and, just as with any company, others have left for various reasons. It hasn't worked out for some people, but at the end of the day, that's life. Glassdoor isn't for everyone and some people have probably had a pretty rough time and struggled, but I have thrived here. I feel appreciated by the CEO and in return I feel a strong sense of loyalty. There's no magic formula: if you like your job and you are good at it, you do well.

Cons

Let's be honest, we're not there yet, in terms of where I want Glassdoor to be in Europe nor where I thought we would be at this point in 2017. As a company, we're having to re-focus and set ourselves up for success, and I accept that. This is quite normal for a hyper-growth company. I'm not concerned about our strategy or momentum, but it doesn't mean that I'm not fed up about being temporarily restricted in terms of my scope. My hours can be quite long and there is certainly a lot of scrutiny and pressure. However, I've always felt that I can take the time I need to recharge as well as have flexible working. If you like an all-singing, all-dancing benefits scheme, everything on a plate, easy-sell corporate environment with massive salaries, then Glassdoor is not for you. If you don't mind pushing the envelope and you are resilient enough to rough it a bit on the journey, then Glassdoor could take you into a new league in terms of what you thought you could achieve and where you thought your career could go. You need to see the bigger picture and not get caught up on little things if you want to be satisfied working here. I actually like this in a way because it filters out those that can't, or are not willing, to go the distance.

Glassdoor2017-05-23

July 5, 2017CEO & Founder

As one of our first hires in the UK, I salute you for taking on the unknown and setting us up for success in our first-ever European office. You point to a hardworking scrappy environment that I cherish and appreciate you cultivating. You also point to areas where we can get better - we’re taking in your feedback so we can continue to get better and create an all around great working environment. We want you feel successful both in the work you do and where you do the work.

"Exciting company where you can make a difference and work alongside great people"

Former Employee - Partnerships in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved coming in to work every day. The team are all so lovely and respectful and the work environment is great. Everyone is very driven about the Glassdoor mission and very passionate about their work. Glassdoor as an employer is super flexible and appreciates the work/life balance of their employees. You also get a lot of opportunity at Glassdoor to use your skills and develop professionally. It's still in many ways a start-up which clearly isn't for everyone but really what difference do you expect to make at the alternative, a 10k+ employees professional network company based in central London? If you want to really contribute and feel like your work makes a difference then you should work for Glassdoor. The direct management in my team was very supportive, great mentors and anything but micro-management. Generally Glassdoor doesn't really do micromanagement which also means you should know to manage yourself. Other pros are the competitive salary, great office location, nice team events, progression and autonomy. Talking for the London office, I wouldn't say the negative reviews really give an accurate idea of the work environment. There's challenges that come with any start-up but most comments do not resonate with my experience in any way. I can truly recommend Glassdoor to anyone that is looking for a meaningful job, with tons of learning opportunities, room for growth, amazing colleagues and a healthy work environment.

Cons

I had no reason whatsoever to leave on my own initiative for above reasons but the company decided to let me go due to focus shift away from most EMEA markets. Very disappointing and sad but I respect tough decisions need to be made in order to move the business forward - although in all modesty I believe this was a poor decision made by higher management as I (as well as my colleagues in the other markets) build up tons of relationships within industry and media landscape that will be hard to rebuild when focus will be shifting back to those markets. In addition to that we took on so many different tasks outside of our original jobs such as sales, marketing, pr, etc. (which I loved as never a day was the same), while getting paid for 1 which is a pretty good deal for the company I'd say. It's like spending ages on building a sand castle and then kicking it in. What monster does that, no offense. Anyway I'm all for flexible redundancy rules but perhaps in a more constructive way.

Glassdoor2017-05-24

July 5, 2017Senior Vice President, Sales

Thank you for sharing such detailed feedback, it’s meaningful and incredibly helpful. As we look for ways to improve & change, we will certainly take your words into consideration for the future. Hope you are doing well in your next endeavor!

"GD Europe exciting place to be! Positive environment, lovely team."

Current Employee - Partnerships Manager in London, England

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Team is lovely - Positive, casual and mature work environment of dedicated people - Great work/life balance - A lot of flexibility - Very exciting place to be - Glassdoor is growing massively every day and you get to be a part of it!

Cons

When you start at GD Europe you have to realize it's still a start-up feeling where you are expected to be a self-starter and learn the ropes yourself. Flexibility comes with ownership and you have to be able to carry this. If this suits you, you can count this as a plus!

Glassdoor2015-10-23

"Great Folks, Poor Outlook"

Former Employee - Marketing in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for less than a year

Pros

The day to day was all positive. Cross collaboration was always painless. Always got the sense that Glassdoor operates as a unit, not as siloed departments. This is not a hyperbole: everyone I interacted with was extremely easy to work with. No politics. Just ppl getting sh*t done. Work/Life balance is great. I never felt overworked and when life hit you, management was extremely willing to accommodate. Benefits are pretty solid. Free healthcare for yourself and subsidized healthcare for family. Unlimited PTO that you're encouraged to use. Very nice office/working facility with free daily catered lunch, a gameroom, gym, cafeteria.

Cons

*Sigh* it pains me to write this, but... The Glassdoor we know and love is not long for this world. Glassdoor makes most of its revenue on job ads, where it's a small player in a competitive space. It's extremely hard to monetize what Glassdoor's core features: the reviews. The revenue from employer profiles is frankly not enough run a profitable business at the current size. The new CEO seems powerless to the board members of Recruit (Glassdoor's holding company). He's an extremely nice guy and definitely cared about the company. But a good person doesn't always make a good CEO.

Glassdoor2020-05-16

"Plenty of potential but heartless leaders"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are smart and down to earth. My team was incredible. In my experience, my manager really cared about my development, provided actionable feedback, and was always supportive and encouraging. I had work life balance and while we worked from home during COVID-19, our people team went above and beyond to provide anything we needed.

Cons

Where do I begin? The last year at Glassdoor has been a complete mess for Customer Success. Culture turned into nothing but gossiping and complaining. Even our Sales counterparts would make constant comments about how bad we had it. In hindsight, it was warranted because eventually it all blew up once the pandemic hit. Senior management is BAD, particularly in CS, and they are aware. They've shared our feedback of them and it's pitiful. They completely lack compassion in every single decision they make and constantly miss the mark. It started to become clear in the last few months that Glassdoor was really lacking vision and the ability to reinvent. Site traffic was down and our customers were bored with our offerings. CS superstars started finding new jobs/leaving. In addition, internally, there were many smaller announcements and decisions being made that were red flags to me. It felt like they were trying to cut costs in any way they could. An example would be, in Customer Success, they announced a re-classfication of employees changed us to hourly workers, and took away unlimited PTO (with no comparable alternative). This was all under the guise that it was "legally required" and "in our best interest" (so that we could get overtime). We all saw right through it. The announcement was tone deaf and dishonest. Teams started challenging the decision and then some were able to get reclassified and after feedback, they magically were able to bring unlimited PTO back (shocker) shortly before layoffs (meaning they would not owe us much if any vacation time). This is the constant theme of leadership, both in CS and company wide. There is always some shady motive to every decision. The fact that they were able to determine a layoff of 1/3 of the workforce was necessary so soon tells me all I need to know about the future of Glassdoor. They haven't been able to reinvent themselves and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they are one with Indeed. I would have the same feedback if I weren't laid off.

Glassdoor2020-05-11

May 27, 2020VP, Customer Success

Dear CS Alum Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. I’m sorry that your experience with Glassdoor was not more positive for you. The last 2 quarters have been particularly challenging for Customer Success at Glassdoor. If I go back 6 months, the CS organization had among the highest levels of employee satisfaction in the company. Last quarter, we moved all CS roles to a “Non-Exempt” employment classification based on the advice of our Legal Team - this shift was difficult and upsetting for many. There was no motive underlying this change other than ensuring we meet our legal obligations to employees - it’s not accurate that this costs the business less money. It’s clear from your feedback that communication of these changes - mine and others - could have been better and I take responsibility for that. I also take responsibility for your experience as a member of the CS team at Glassdoor - I care about what you think and what matters to you, which is why I subsequently advocated for changes to the company PTO policy for Non-Exempt roles. I’m glad that the company now has an open-PTO policy for all Non-Exempt positions across Glassdoor, including CS. This quarter, we have had to say goodbye to many good people from CS as a result of the impact of Covid-19. I know this is upsetting and I’m sorry that you were personally impacted. I can imagine it would have been really difficult not having the opportunity to ask questions at the initial announcement, but I hope you had the chance to address all your questions in the follow up meeting with HR. If you still have unanswered questions, please reach out to our HR Team or contact me directly. In relation to my motives, my goal is to enable our team to be the best that we can in supporting our partners. I measure my impact by the experience of our clients, the experience of our team and the success of the company. I’m aware that I don’t always get it right, but there is no framework for my decision making outside of this. I wish you all the best for the future. Chris, VP Customer Success

"The Wheels are Falling Off"

Former Employee - Customer Success in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People: The people is the single most amazing thing about this company. Glassdoor truly hires the best and I have been able to foster so many amazing relationships during my time there. Culture: While there have been some changes recently, overall Glassdoor had an amazing culture with snacks, open concept office, and new technology to leverage. I didn't dread going into the office because I enjoyed my time there Work Life Balance: This job really allows you to have freedom into how much you put in and the ability to take time for yourself. I was always encouraged to take PTIO and work flexible hours based on my schedule

Cons

Leadership: There have been quite a few changes at the top levels of the organization and it makes you wonder if those have been for the better. Since the turn of the calendar year, it feels like every single month there was a large organizational change that has greatly affected the employees and the business strategy questioning what the future would be for Glassdoor. Transparency/Communication: This whole situation showed the true colors for a company that prides itself on being open and sharing the true inside happenings with a company. The last few months felt like something was hidden around every corner and the number of "political responses" we received on a variety of subjects was frustrating and disappointing.

Glassdoor2020-05-14

May 22, 2020CEO

Thank you for your feedback on your Glassdoor experience. Truly, the people at Glassdoor are amazing and I’m happy that you were able to foster great relationships during your time here. It’s true that there have been a number of changes in the company and while it’s natural that this impacts our employees and raises questions about Glassdoor’s future, I want you to know that I believe transparency and communication with employees and providing a clear understanding of our strategy is absolutely essential. I hear your feedback that we could have been clearer and this is something I will seek to learn from. Thank you for being a part of Glassdoor and for your impact! Christian CEO, Glassdoor

8. "Great Culture. Great People."

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Mill Valley, CA

I have been working at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

(This review reflects my PRE-COVID experience). Glassdoor hires well and they take their culture very seriously. Due to that fact, I have gained numerous meaningful friendships and mentorships with my coworkers. The culture is relaxed, yet highly efficient, and work-life balance is a very integral part of our culture here. There are many days where I'll leave at 5 PM and I will be one of the last few people in the office. We have relaxed hours, flexible PTO, and many people opt to WFH at least 2 days a week. Working here has been a dream! Free lunch 5x a week. A beautiful office. Great people. Meaningful work. What more could I ask for?

Cons

As of recently, things have been understandably difficult. We have had to lay off 30% of our workforce. This situation has NOT been ideal, but I'm hopeful that we will regain some sense of normalcy when this is over. Unfortunately, I also think that we've lost so many long-term employees that things will never quite be the same.

Glassdoor2020-05-18

May 22, 2020CEO

It’s great to hear that Glassdoor’s culture and people have made working at Glassdoor meaningful for you. While we have certainly experienced a great number of changes, I am confident that Glassdoor is needed now more than ever and these changes will put us in a strong position to achieve our company goals. Thank you! I’m grateful for your commitment to our mission and to our future. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

"They will not be the same post-COVID"

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gave sales reps 3 months of earnings (base/ OTE commission/PTO) when we were laid off. Proves C-levels truly cared about their employees. The work-life balance, the people, and the solutions being sold made the company one of the best places to work in Chicago. This all will do a 180 once COVID-19 passes.

Cons

Laid off "30%" of its workforce. Company culture/pay metrics/management will all change from what you see in 2019 reviews. Glassdoor will eventually be taken under from a larger firm in the industry, so if you work for this company, in due time you will likely undergo a company switch.

Glassdoor2020-05-10

May 14, 2020CEO

I’m glad to hear that the people, the work-life balance and our mission driven solutions made your time at Glassdoor a positive experience. It’s hard to find the words to express my gratitude for your contributions to Glassdoor. You truly will be missed and it's clear you represent our values. It has been gut wrenching to watch COVID-19 impact our business and have to say goodbye to amazing people like yourself. I want to be clear: this is not your fault. I hope you feel proud of the impact you’ve had on Glassdoor and the instrumental role you’ve played. Know that it is noticed and it matters a great deal. Many of us here want to support you and others going forward so I want you to know that - Please reach out if we can help you in your career journey going forward. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

10. "Room for Improvement but Overall Great Experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Glassdoor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cared for their employees greatly Amazing culture within your own organization Great work/life balance Incredible benefits and perks Very talented manager and director level leaders

Cons

Of course, the way things ended with a mass layoff that had zero warning was not an ideal experience to go through and not an ideal way to end my time at this company. I think this situation could have been handled much differently and I would have had a lot more respect leaving the company had we not been promised job security over and over. However that does not dictate my entire experience with Glassdoor. I do wish that there was more insight and delivery on certain products, processes, and specifics that were promised to us throughout, that we never saw through. The product essentially stayed the same and was not evolving with the industry all the while, having constant meetings about product evolvement and new additions to our company that never came true. This hindered growth within the sales org. The other thing I wished was improved upon were internal processes. There were massive delays on very simple requests, cases, etc through operations, finance, and other non-client facing teams. As a sales individual it felt as if we had zero support behind the scenes. Everything was kicked back to us in some way shape or form. This puts a bad taste in clients mouths giving them a sense of no support as well and has impacted many renewals therefore taking away revenue from the company. There needs to be tighter SLA's for internal teams, and more of a focus shift to a true sales organization which requires way more support for those teams. Glassdoor's reputation will continue to suffer if there is no support to sales and no support for our customers. Career progression was tough. Internal interviewing came with a lot of politics and was not the best experience or process. This needs improvement if you want to keep good sales people, path for promotion needs huge improvements.

Glassdoor2020-05-18

May 22, 2020CEO

I want to express my deep thanks for your contributions to Glassdoor. Please know I am truly sad that your time at the company ended this way, though I’m glad to hear that overall you had a great experience at Glassdoor and felt cared for by the company. Transparency is important in good times and even more important in hard times. This is something I believe deeply and I'm sorry to hear your feedback that you feel the recent layoffs were unexpected and a surprise. We shared we’d seen significant declines in our business in our company All Hands, but again, I want you to know your feedback is heard. I hope you will stay in touch with your Glassdoor colleagues and please do reach out if we can be of support. Glassdoor is still here for you. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. Christian CEO, Glassdoor

Found 76 reviews