GoCo Group Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 25 Mar 2021

4.6
GoCo Group CEO Matthew Crummack  (no image)
Matthew Crummack
  1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Fantastic Company and Work Ethic"

Current Employee - Trainee Software Engineer in Newport, Newport, Wales, Wales

I have been working at GoCo Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Diverse work culture, surrounded by positive people -Excellent pay and benefits scheme - Great career progression opportunities -Working with a diverse skillset -Support and training available -Endless support of people/employees during COVID

Cons

None. Great benefits, able to balance work life and business

2. "GoCompare Newport Wales"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Newport, Newport, Wales, Wales

I have been working at GoCo Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Positive business (Everyone loves saving money) - Team support (no-hero culture) - Inclusive (We support each other) - Great leadership team(approachable) - Working from Home - Invests in people - Option to buy more holiday days - Option to buy shares - Meeting Gio

Cons

- Getting up to speed within the financial services sector is sometimes daunting.

Continue reading

3. "Relly look after their staff"

4.0

I have been working at GoCo Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Good benefits, Great flexibility and they seem to actually care about their employees.

Cons

Recently taken over by Future and the new work contract is not looking as good as the current one. Early days so hoping they will continue to look after the staf as well as they did before the new management.

April 8, 2021Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks so much for your review and I appreciate your openness about the recent developments. We appreciate that an acquisition can provide some elements of uncertainty for our staff and we assure you that the values we live and breathe by at GoCo are fundamental to our success now and in the future. Some change is natural during these times so do bear with us and overall there is a positive and exciting future ahead as we are able to scale the comparison brands and expand our service offering to our customers. Our staff are and will always be at the heart of making this possible.

4. COVID-19

"One year at GoCo so far"

Current Employee - Trainee Software Engineer in Newport, Newport, Wales, Wales

I have been working at GoCo Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is relaxed and people are given the chance to learn at their own pace when possible. Seniors are generally available to help and give advice. There is attention to people's physical health and mental health and there's a few initiatives such as charity events and meditation apps which are given to employees for free. Private health insurance is provided at a very low cost. Upgrades to tools such as standing desks and orthopedic chairs are provided if requested to HR. The chance to work remotely is currently provided at the moment because of covid-19, but the office is also open for people who are having difficulties dealing with working from home by booking the desk in advance.

Cons

No dental insurance deal at the moment is provided. Commuting to Newport can be hard at times, but the company seems to be open to giving the chance to working remotely more often also after covid-19.

5. COVID-19

"Great place to work"

I have been working at GoCo Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

GoCompare allows me to work flexibly as well as giving the opportunity to buy and sell holiday days. The engineering department actively encourages innovation and self improvement, allowing you to set time aside for self learning as well as sending on conferences to discover new technologies that may be able to be used. The company has good benefits including a share-save scheme, they have also taken very good care of us all since the coronavirus pandemic started. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming, never known another workplace quite like it. I genuinely enjoy coming to work.

Cons

Honestly can't think of any.

"Had a great time"

4.0

I have been working at GoCo Group full-time

Pros

Was a lovely place to work

Cons

Bought out by Future Inc. Significantly changed the terms and conditions

April 8, 2021Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks so much for your review. We appreciate that an acquisition can provide some elements of uncertainty for our staff and although there will some natural change that occurs in some aspects such as benefits offered as blend the businesses together and ensure we are fair to all employees across the board. We assure you that the values we live and breathe by at GoCo are fundamental to our success now and in the future and are aligned with that of Future Plc. We will continue to work to make GoCompare a place that people enjoy coming to work and share more great times. Hopefully, you will see that there is an exciting future ahead as we are able to scale the comparison brands and expand our service offering to our customers and as always we have an open culture to discuss any concerns you might have with your line manager or the People team.

7. COVID-19

"Great place to work with countless opportunities!"

I have been working at GoCo Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing culture, countless development opportunities, lots of support in work. They care a lot about their employees. The flexibility has been amazing during these times of Covid-19 with support offered to make working from home easier.

Cons

Cannot think of any downsides.

"If your face fits, you're golden. If not, life will be miserable."

2.0
    Current Employee - Developer in Newport, Newport, Wales, Wales

I have been working at GoCo Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the people are great fun to work with

Cons

Constant bullying from management. Unrealistic objectives set that invariably change. One of the company values is about letting people be themselves. In reality, that only applies to management favourites. Everyone else is constantly berated. If you complain about anything, you're being negative. Look like you're enjoying yourself and the accusations are of time wasting. Say nothing and you're not participating. It's a no win situation. There are managers who constantly blame other teams for their failings, managers who take credit for other people's work, managers who make bad decisions, managers who won't make decisions at all. It wasn't always like this. Only since the esure group bought the company and then sold it has it been going downhill. Several nights a week, I go home and cry because it's so horrible there. If you dare speak up, you can expect retaliation in some form or other. On site facilities are awful. Air con is almost always broken, too hot or too cold. The canteen food is overpriced and not great quality. Drinks machines have been almost completely removed. Parking is limited and the overflow car park is a long walk away. New managers have been jumping the queue for a space in the main car park.

July 26, 2018HR Director

Hi, Firstly, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I was saddened to read your comments as they go against everything that we have been working toward over the past two years. Our culture is about being Driven, Bold, Open, Genuine and Fair and fostering an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves. We genuinely believe that people are our differentiator in the market and we want to do everything we can to ensure that work is a fun, stretching and rewarding place. Bullying will not be tolerated in any part of the organisation and I would urge you to come and see me or reach out to me so as we can have a completely confidential chat about what is going on and how to best solve the issues for you. We run regular surveys aimed at assessing how people are feeling and I’m pleased to say that for the majority, people enjoy working here. We are committed to making GoCompare the best place to work and can only do that if we have the opportunity to talk through issues and sort them. I would genuinely like to help to resolve your issues. Hopefully speak to you soon, Alex Currie – HR Director

9. "Fun & Fast Paced"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Newport, Newport, Wales, Wales
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at GoCo Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Able, yet modest and down to earth staff - Fast paced and cutting edge technologies being used - Flexible working hours and option to work from home whenever needed - (Genuinely!) competitive salaries and share options

Cons

- Too much emphasis on Agile without real buy in from all squads - Some people make the most of the trust they're afforded - Limited car parking & very little in the immediate area

July 26, 2018HR Director

Yo GoCo Alumni... Hope things are going well in your new role. Firstly, thank you for your open and honest feedback. We can't continue to improve upon the things we are doing if we don't have feedback. You'll be pleased to hear that we continue to work on how we do Agile through the use of Agile Coaches. We've also rented some more secure parking so GoCo'ers can park their pride and joy in the knowledge that it is safe and sound whilst they are beavering away. #BigGoCoLove #LifeAtGoCompare # GoCoAlumni

"On a slippery slope"

1.0
    Developer in Newport, Newport, Wales, Wales

I worked at GoCo Group

Pros

Mainly in the earlier days of the company. A good office environment, a sense of fun.

Cons

A company that as it became larger and more profitable also became an unpleasant place to be. Continual problems in IT became worse as new 'managers' were brought in. The last ones were the worst there and anywhere I've ever worked. This really was a case of upstairs/downstairs with the managerial clique seeming oblivious to what was going on in the company. Since being bought by Esure they seem to be running the staff down. Avoid!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 Reviews