Goldman Sachs Summer Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Goldman Sachs Summer Analyst Reviews

Updated Oct 16, 2019

Found 253 reviews

4.1
Goldman Sachs CEO David M. Solomon (no image)
David M. Solomon
  1. "Challenging and strong culture"

Former Intern - Summer Analyst in London, England

I worked at Goldman Sachs for less than a year

Pros

Challenging Very smart people Good managers Focus on people development Strong benefits Volunteering opportunities

Cons

Maybe work/life balance? I can envision some personalities applying a dog eat dog approach to work. That would probably depend on the specific department and manager though.

Advice to Management

Continue challenging and developing your work base

Goldman Sachs2019-08-14
  2. "Well paid, supportive network, rotational"

Former Intern - Securities Summer Analyst

I worked at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Salary, training, networking drinks, lots of other interns

Cons

Small fish big pond, competitive atmosphere

Goldman Sachs2019-10-16

"Disappointing (IMD - PWM)"

I have been working at Goldman Sachs for less than a year

Pros

Reputation, some very bright and friendly individuals.

Cons

Communication is bad, as an example after the internship I was not contacted at all and even requests from my side remained unanswered. But also during the internship I would have expected more professionality. Floor is full of gossip, IT systems are confusing and old, compliance is stiffling. Very few positions are actually interesting and working hours are bad for Wealth Management (Around 6:30-20:00). The... culture is not bad, but a little sect like and feels fake at times. Pay is ok but not worth it. 2 Stars because it remains a career booster, there are some interesting positions and nice people on the floor.

Goldman Sachs2019-09-04
  4. "GS summer analyst"

I have been working at Goldman Sachs for less than a year

Pros

Comprehensive training with enthusiastic bright people

Cons

Too much emphasis on networking and short rotations

Goldman Sachs2019-07-01

"Good experience for intern, exploitation for full-time"

Former Intern - Summer Technology Analyst in London, England

I worked at Goldman Sachs for less than a year

Pros

Goldman Sachs' intern programs are very educational and not very hard to get into if you are outgoing and talkative and have high EQ, even with mediocre or no technical skills. The technical interviews are easier (trivial compared to tech companies / hedge funds / prop trading) than the behavioural/competancy ones. GS is very kind to its interns - high pay and relocation bonus, same pay for all interns across... front / back offices (obviously not the case for the full-time). Most interns don't need to work overtime (except front office) and full-time employees are nice to interns. There're a lot of social and networking events for interns, as well as spotlight sessions where senior people like MDs and CEO give talks and answer questions. You can make connections with other interns and (professional ones) within the company. Their infrastructure is good - you can find, call or have a video conference with anyone in Goldman Sachs globally. Very clear career path. Analyst-Associate-VP-MD-Partner, good luck with the last two.

Cons

1. Too much time wasted in useless meetings, presentations and compulsory talks by the senior. Most pretend to be interested in others' work or words and try not to fall asleep. Peer pressure for going to social and networking events is strong. Sometimes little time is left for work. People either don't care or work overtime to compensate. 2. If you become VP you can stop learning and stay there for the rest of... your life. VP is the most popular title in GS, and your manager could be a "busy" VP not understanding your project details but still make key decisions about it. 3. Ridiculous"review" system for interns. You must be reviewed by 4-7 full time employees, but you are doing a stand-alone intern project. So you have to either introduce it to everyone who is busy and pretends to be interested, without annoying them, or you get bad reviews. 4. Exploitation on full-time employees. Individual GS employee do more and work longer compared to other banks on average. Your base salary is limited and your bonus is an important part of your high pay, so if you leave for another bank, only your base salary is matched and you earn less and don't want to leave. For this reason, it is much more lucrative to join JP Morgan who has high base pay at junior level and then go to GS after you get promoted. Oh btw, the full-time have to listen to all the interns' presentations in their division.

Advice to Management

For matching and managing the employees that fit your culture, you're doing good.

Goldman Sachs2018-11-15

"Mediocre Work. Mediocre Engineers. Good People."

Former Intern - Summer Technology Analyst in London, England

I worked at Goldman Sachs for less than a year

Pros

Manager and colleagues are willing to help you as an intern. Salary is good for an intern £47000 per annum + £1000 bonus. In-house gym is awesome. Cafeteria has a variety of food. The projects assigned vary a lot, i will admit that the project was not bad. That's it. Not bad, not great, just mediocre.

Cons

Alright where to begin... The hiring bar is very mediocre plain and simple. Interview process is absolutely easy and anyone with a CS degree should be able to pass it. This feeds into the level of talent being brought into the firm as sub-par. I knew another intern that was plain lazy and left a bad taste on what my co-workers would be like in the future. Goldman tries to recruit from my school in which most if... not all do NOT want to go back as they use GS as a stepping stone. Secondly the technology they use varies ALOT. You could be working in Slang / Angular ( Y I K E S) or be working in Python / React. Very team dependant. There is some improvements to try to go away from legacy apps but honestly it's not good enough. I mean it also took like 3 weeks to get my dev environment setup , like come on ?? Another con is the full-time salary which for some people it might be great in their eyes. (£50k yearly + £6000 bonus) . However this is not enough to compete with the top tech companies which blow GS out the water. They increased the salary a few years ago since management was saying that to stop talent bleeding out to other tech companies and to try and stay competitive, they increased it by like £10k - 15k. I have already interviewed with other tech companies which are offering 20k more for full-time. GS says they want the top of the top coming out of the schools. I can tell you now they are doing a bad job with the salaries they are offering and the kind of work in addition to the level of competent engineers. My advice to anyone wanting to intern here. Do it, but after you get the GS name, get out. Make sure you interview prep throughout the summer after work so you can ace other companies interviews. Forget about the networking, other interns. If you want a bigger salary/ better work, interview prep and go to anywhere else that's not a bank. Good luck :)

Advice to Management

Increase hiring bar so that the people coming in have some semblance of what programming is. They are interns who literally don't know what Java is or basic OOP concepts. This is bad if you are touting yourself to be a "tech company". As a result of the increased hiring bar, offer way more money in terms of salaries. Start fostering a tech culture by hiring more Technical Partners, I see that David Solomon has... hired like 70 partners of which around ~80-90% are NON-Technical. Again it really shows from C-level how much they value tech vs Investment Bankers.

Goldman Sachs2018-11-12
  7. "analyst"

I have been working at Goldman Sachs for less than a year

Pros

Good comp Great company and people on a general level Was a privilege to work with motivated and talented people

Cons

Internship was poorly structured for me personally Manager spent very little time with me. This was very different to the experience of interns around me.

Advice to Management

Treat interns equally.

Goldman Sachs2018-08-28
  8. "Once in a lifetime experience"

Former Intern - Investment Banking Summer Analyst in London, England

I worked at Goldman Sachs for less than a year

Pros

Amazing people, amazing environment, amazing hub of knowledge (don't forget the amazing salary)

Cons

Demands a lot from you if you are ready and willing

Goldman Sachs2018-07-16
  9. "Good"

I have been working at Goldman Sachs

Pros

Great focus on teamwork and a lot of responsibilities given in the internship. Hard work, and great pay.

Cons

Very long hours, from 9am until early hours of the night.

Goldman Sachs2017-11-27
  10. "Investment Banking Summer Analyst"

Former Intern - Investment Banking Summer Analyst in London, England

I worked at Goldman Sachs for less than a year

Pros

Strong brand name, overall helpful culture, good buddy/mentor system.

Cons

Extreme working hours and face-timing, especially within IBD. GS culture is strong, but false people are also hiding behind it, pretending to be helpful and honest, and then backstabbing you.

Goldman Sachs2017-11-18