Gotoco Employee Reviews about "chinese culture"

Updated Oct 31, 2019

Found 24 of over 208 reviews

4.7
Gotoco Director Richard Lloyd (no image)
Richard Lloyd
Pros
  • "Gotoco placed me in Yangshuo working for an outdoor adventure company, which I really enjoyed(in 29 reviews)

• "Participating in one of this year's Gotoco camps was an excellent way to experience Chinese culture whilst also gaining valuable experience in teaching(in 24 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Found it difficult at times to communicate with Gotoco and they left it until quite late to tell me where in China I'd be based(in 27 reviews)

• "The application process for the visa was tedious(in 19 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,927

972 Comments

Teachers

179.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Gotoco~2044609
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "chinese culture"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Intern, less than 1 year

Cultural exchange and valuable work

Oct 31, 2019 - Communications Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Made lifelong friends and gained a deep interest in exploring more aspects of Chinese culture. The free TEFL is also a great asset for the CV.

Cons

Found out about my trio to China a bit late

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Exciting and affordable summer

Sep 27, 2019 - Guilin Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had a very supportive and friendly boss and I enjoyed working with Chinese teachers a similar age. I was well looked-after on all outings and I felt like they really cared that I were happy and enjoying the camp. There was no pressure to do anything a specific way or any intense training. I loved making friends with the Chinese students on my camp and learning about their life. I'm now more aware of Chinese culture and much more likely to go back to China and explore different cities. More confident working with children and travelling in foreign countries with a language barrier. Overall an affordable and fun way to spend summer gaining life skills and a TEFL qualification. Relatively easy application process and support through emails if there is any trouble with visa or camp.

Cons

Sort out the visa early to avoid problems.

3. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Amazing experience

Sep 13, 2019 - Volunteer Teacher in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you're looking for an iconic summer adventure, filled with authentic Chinese culture, real-life life of life teaching experience and the most amazing people you could ever imagine - just join Gotoco in China. Trust me when I say, you won't regret it!

Cons

The accommodation was sometimes more than questionable The communication was sometimes lacking, especially in the period between being assigned a programme and flight booking.

Continue reading
    4. 5.0
      Former Freelancer, less than 1 year

Enriching experience.

Sep 4, 2019 - Volunteer
      Business Outlook

Pros

It was such a enriching experience. I got to meet so many students like me from around the world and I also got to experience the chinese culture, getting involved in so many traditional activities that you won't get to experience if you visit China as a tourist. The experience teaching abroad was great too.

Cons

Nothing to say, maybe just the food provided on the first accommodation.

5. 5.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Rongxian/Yangshuo programmes 2019

Sep 3, 2019 - Volunteer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really unique opportunity to experience Chinese culture. I learnt loads through participating in this programme and would definitely recommend it!

Cons

Some last minute changes and some disorganization.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee

Offered a once in a lifetime experience

Aug 23, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Gave me the opportunity to take part in an experience I could never organise alone Met some amazing people and learned a lot about Chinese culture

Cons

Communication was rather slow and we were placed quite late

7. 5.0

Best summer ever!

Aug 16, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Gotoco provides a once in a lifetime opportunity. It was the best and most meaningful summer I've had so far! We got to meet so many local people that carried the true spirit of the Chinese culture. I think one of the best thing about this trip, apart from teaching such intelligent and remarkable students, were all of the amazing people we got to meet. Everyone was so welcoming that I immediately felt at home. Everybody was friendly, respectful, and took great care of us. The highlight though was seeing how happy the students were to come to class and to participate. It really made me feel like I have achieved something very valuable and that I have been successful in all of my efforts. Playing games, singing songs, and doing crafts all brought us all together and it felt like we were friends. I would absolutely recommend Gotoco to everybody! I think this summer helped me grow, learn, and shaped me into the person I have always wanted to become.

Cons

The application process was a bit slow for me, but apart from that everything was perfectly organized!

8. 5.0

Gotoco Volunteer/Participant Review

Aug 13, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had a really good experience in China this summer with Gotoco! I learned an incredible amount from teaching children English and being able to travel around China. I gained a lot of independence skills and got involved with Chinese culture and made life-long friends. Would definitely recommend to anyone considering applying!

Cons

The language barrier may be a bigger problem for those who can't speak Mandarin

9. 4.0

Amazing summer

Aug 17, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had an amazing summer - this is a great way to learn so much about the Chinese culture in a way that also helps you to develop your own skills! It's not an 'easy' ride, you really do have to teach classes from the very beginning, but if you're ready for a personal and professional challenge then I would 100% recommend this programme. Very rewarding - go for it!

Cons

training was not always adequet - but this can very with placement

10. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Excellent chance to do a TEFL in China

Oct 22, 2019 - Teaching Intern in Beijing, Beijing
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent chance to explore China and experience Chinese culture (like food such as steamed buns or noodle soups) Gaining valuable teaching experience Talking with mainland Chinese adults about their daily lives (in my case since my program was with adults) Relatively low cost (only have to pay for plane tickets and visa) Fast processing time for the application

Cons

Not many choices when being offered different placements

Continue reading