Government Legal Department Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Government Legal Department Reviews

Updated 17 Dec 2019

3.9
Pros
  • "The flexible working arrangements are incredible and I love working in Westminster(in 10 reviews)

• "Very interesting work in almost every corner of the organisation(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lawyers doing same job are paid unequally due to staff on different pay scales when departments joined GLD(in 4 reviews)

• "No Pay Progression and very little career progression(in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Lawyer

I have been working at Government Legal Department full-time for more than a year

Pros

The opportunity to be involved in advising Government on a range of legal matters that make news headlines, particularly Brexit-related work – you simply don’t get to work on these areas of law in the private sector. There are also a range of family-friendly policies that support a positive work/life balance for all colleagues, along with generous leave allowance. Staff and line managers are really supportive, creating an inclusive and collaborative working environment. Professional development and progression within the organisation is actively encouraged – several recruitment exercises are held on an annual basis providing both promotion and development opportunities.

Cons

Although the public sector may not be able to rival the pay of City law firms, other benefits (including significant employer pension contributions) do alleviate this somewhat.

Government Legal Department2019-06-05

July 22, 2019HR Pay and Policy

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s important that colleagues enjoy the unique work we offer, whilst feeling supported to progress and develop. Flexible working is a key part of our offer to encourage all employees to have a positive work/life balance. It is enormously important for GLD to get the best deal for our employees on both pay and a range of other benefits. As a government department we do of course operate the Civil Service pay framework, within which we are continually looking to develop and refine our offer.

2. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Executive Officer in London, England

I have been working at Government Legal Department full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team, very good atmosphere, family friendly, flexible working

Cons

Salary is very low, however I don't think it's lower than other government departments

Government Legal Department2019-12-17
  3. "Diversity of roles"

Current Employee - Lawyer in London, England

Pros

Good work-life balance being a generalist is a good thing

Cons

many administrative tasks and spending lots of time sending emails and handling policy people as opposed to doing actual work

Government Legal Department2019-12-17
  4. "Excellent work but average pay"

Current Employee - Lawyer in London, England

I have been working at Government Legal Department full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Unique, interesting and often high-profile legal work Colleagues are smart and interesting people Excellent culture and values

Cons

Pay offer is poor (controlled by HM Treasury so not really under their control) Hot-desking and lack of space bad for morale Not all managers are good - lack of consistency

Government Legal Department2019-11-26

"Good work life balance, but below market pay"

Current Employee - Grade 7 Lawyer in London, England

Pros

Good hours, friendly and collegial team, autonomous workload

Cons

Pay below market, little scope for career progression, minimal incentives

Government Legal Department2019-11-14
  6. "Friendly and supportive working environment"

Current Employee - Higher Executive Officer in City of Westminster, England

I have been working at Government Legal Department part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people at GLD are friendly and supportive and I have really enjoyed when I have worked with the Lawyers here to get advice. The flexible working arrangements are incredible and I love working in Westminster.

Cons

Only small, but before I have had the luxury of working on my laptop on the train, but due to the security here I can't really do this.

Government Legal Department2019-09-19
  7. "GLD Commercial Legal Group"

Current Employee - Senior Commercial Lawyer in London, England

I have been working at Government Legal Department full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Collegiate working, flexible working, good ethos relating to diversity

Cons

Salary, Brexit, Recruitment and retention, IT infrastructure

Government Legal Department2019-09-05
  8. "Comments"

Former Employee - Administrative Officer in London, England

I worked at Government Legal Department full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, fun, supportive, progression and friendly

Cons

Too many responsibilities, short staffed

Government Legal Department2019-08-26
  9. "Good place"

Current Employee - Senior Lawyer in London, England

I have been working at Government Legal Department full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of people on here complaining about poor pay. Pay is not bucket loads but that's not what you join Government for. If you don't like it, you know what to do (try hacking 16 hour private sector days, 6 days a week, being treated like a number). Personally, I go to work every morning to serve my country and the public, work alongside some brilliant people and do things I couldn't do anywhere else. I made the switch from private 10 years ago and haven't looked back.

Cons

IT's not great, and desk ratios are getting less and less generous

Government Legal Department2019-07-01

July 22, 2019HR Pay and Policy

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re glad to hear that you enjoy the positive working environment and interesting nature of the work. It is enormously important for GLD to get the best deal for our employees on both pay and a range of other benefits. As a government department, we do of course operate the Civil Service pay framework, within which we are continually looking to develop and refine our offer.

Continue reading
  10. "Good environment to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

GLD is a very diverse organisation, with a multitude of people with varied experience from around the world. It's an exciting place to work because no day is the same as the other. The staff, regardless of profession, are all generally very supportive and extremely knowledgeable - always willing to help. My team are very encouraging and are always open to giving new joiners and new starters opportunities to develop. It's an exciting time for GLD as they are just starting to mature as an organisation and there are a lot of big projects coming up to improve and progress our department.

Cons

More could be done to give people more constructive feedback at regular intervals, it feels like the department is always busy and working and never takes time to reassess.

Government Legal Department2019-06-21

July 22, 2019HR Pay and Policy

Thank you for leaving a review. We’re glad to hear that you enjoy the positive and inclusive culture, and that you feel supported by colleagues. We have recently reviewed and revised our offer of in-house training for all managers, so they feel empowered to support employees and their development.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 45 reviews