Grant Thornton Ireland Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.8
Grant Thornton Ireland Managing Partner Paul McCann
Paul McCann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some nice people scattered throughout the place (in 5 reviews)

• Good work life balance most of the time (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, salary lower than market rate (in 4 reviews)

• Difficult to get the work life balance right, long hours at certain parts of the year (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time

Pros

Depends on the department but open office plan and a strong culture and friendly atmosphere

Cons

Very departmental and can has a relative medium turnover of staff due to nature of the business

2. "Audit Senior"

Pros

Friendly staff, regular social events and reasonable hours

Cons

Casual approach to promotions and pay is lacking compared to other firms

Advice to Management

Introduce a formal promotion process

3. "Superb company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Superb company great place to work

Cons

Nothing bit workload on some weekends

Advice to Management

Keep this pace Superb company great place to work

4. "Not impressed"

Former Employee - Audit Associate
    Former Employee - Audit Associate

Pros

Good experience early on and a lot of responsibility

Cons

Hard work is not recognised and people are promoted to management due to having been there a long time, but this results in really poor management skills, an inability to deal with people and generally staff apathy

Advice to Management

Look after your people. After all, they're what you sell and you're quickly losing the best.

5. "Good, though a bit stressful and a little politics"

Pros

Decent pay, great coworkers, and clear steps of promotion.Although smaller than the Big 4, in terms of pay and environment it's still decent enough. Good support from seniors with the technicalities e.g. accounting standards and audit procedures.

Cons

Long hours especially during peak period. But it's pretty much the same in all big accounting firms. Depending on location, overtime pay may not be available. I had a senior who was a bit political, that's the minor scuff that I have about the experience in the company. But I was just unlucky. Plenty of great seniors in other teams.

6. "Excellent company"

Former Employee - Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Progressive organisation that provides staff with the opportunity to progress quickly

Cons

Salaries are decent and mainly in line with the industry. Bonuses are somewhat haphazard. They are mediocre at best and insulting at worst.

Advice to Management

None

7. "Good Place to work but bad communication"

Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Cork (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst in Cork (Ireland)

I have been working at Grant Thornton Ireland (Less than a year)

Pros

Not micromanaged, will help financially assist with professional development.
    Good work life balance most of the time.

Cons

Bad communication from my bosses to me. Have been assigned tasks to me and have been doing them When I ask my manager for advice I'm told they have done it already. Have been assigned tasks by one manager and had them taken off me with no notice.
    Don't think they appreciate non-accounting professionals as much as they should

Advice to Management

Give a fair allotment of time to each staff member. ensure goals are aligned and everyone knows what they are doing.
    Cut the arrogance out of recently qualified accountants

8. "Audit Department Dublin"

I worked at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time

Pros

Some nice people scattered throughout the place. The tax and consulting departments had completely different cultures, I heard good things.

Cons

Strange to say but when I moved on from GT, it was like a heavy weight being lifted off my shoulders. Having worked in approx 10 companies in full and part time roles throughout my career, the audit department was unique for all the wrong reasons. Bullying, sexual harassment, older men who should know better intimidating junior staff, poor work life balance are just some of the things that spring to mind. I don't tarnish everyone with the same brush. There are some lovely and genuine people working here. But based on the culture as a whole, I would not recommend.

Advice to Management

80% of the audit partners are men. I would balance this out by bringing it to 50:50.

"GT Dublin"

Former Employee - Tax in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Tax in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really nice people work here, I made great friends there. Depends what department you are placed in.

Cons

The EMBRACE campaign is purely a marketing ploy, I overheard a partner making crude jokes about the company taking part in the 2017 Gay Pride Dublin march.
    There is little scope for career progression as the company struggles to compete with the Big 4 and other smaller firms on engagements, and the work they do get, is suffocated by middle and top management trying to impress their superiors and boost their bonus. This leaves little potential exposure for trainees and lower level management to get any real experience.
    There is very little managers who have been there as trainees, GT's hiring model seems to be to grasp at individuals finishing their Big 4 training contracts (by offering a non-Big 4 culture) and to extract as much technical knowledge and experience from them from their Big 4 training days.

Advice to Management

A significant reshuffle is needed within top management in order to allow such campaigns as GT Embrace to filter through at the higher end of the corporate structure.

10. "Consultant - Business Consulting"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Grant Thornton Ireland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It depends entirely on the department you are placed in at GT. The Business Consulting department is a great place if you want to do healthcare. That is their only sector with ongoing work.

As a graduate, you are not expected to do very long hours unlike the Big Four but you won't be put on as many projects as you would at another firm. It is not that busy.

You would want to be put in forensics or corporate finance if you are a graduate at GT and want to be busy and get a qualification. If you intern in one department, it is still possible to approach another for a full-time position so if you do intern there, make sure to try to network a bit.

Cons

They are struggling to compete with the Big Four and the smaller firms also.
    Objectives for the year are not very clear.
    There are a lot of tech startups in the city - early stage and scaling, but we are not working with them at all.