Grant Thornton Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Edward E. Nusbaum

1,287 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is of course difficult during the busy times/season (in 92 reviews)

• Long hours however flexible time off is helpful (in 94 reviews)

1. "Corporate Tax Executive"

Current Employee - Corporate Tax Accountant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Corporate Tax Accountant in Manchester, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly teams, excellent breadth of experience, collaboration.

Cons

Nebulous profit share arrangements for staff, lack of feeling of engagement to wider business

Advice to Management

Fixed bonus structure, make upward mobility more readily accessible, retain staff

2. "You are just a number"

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time

Pros

There are some good benefits

Cons

Too many to list to be honest

"Nice leadership, shocking support"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sacha is an inspiring CEO with some very good ideas.
    The quality of training courses and offsite facilities is incredible.

Cons

Every support function is severely underfunded and is not empowered to actually help the business - IT systems feel like they have been configured specifically to slow things down. There are multiple internal communications mechanisms, none of which integrate with one another. People processes are horrendous and the central team have been forbidden from practically helping.
    The entire business is stretched, so everyone is busy all the time, extra hours are the norm, far too much is done last minute and there is a general sense of panic most of the time.

Advice to Management

Sacha should be more visible - something as simple as an annual roadshow would make such a difference.
    There should be real investment in making internal processes simpler (e.g. using Windows File Explorer instead of an archaic and unusable DMS, allowing PAs and the central HR function to make changes to HR records rather than making busy senior people busier).
    Remove the fictional Associate Director grade - it only serves to add an extra level of hierarchy and arrogance.

5. "The worst employer I have ever had hands down"

Former Employee - Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Employee in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Literally none - I couldn't say a good word about them. Even the office is rubbish

Cons

Terrible at employee management, poor pay, unfair dismissal then try to sue you for pay you were legally entitled to, ship you off to a client on your own then ignore you for months on end, confirmed my end date with my client and not with me

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even know where to start with Grant Thornton. They were a terrible employer from the day I joined - I went on my induction about two months into my employment. They shipped me out to a client without any other team around me where I did a contractor role on a salary that was about 10% of what they were earning. When I said I was leaving my PM was just awful to me - completely cut me out of all team activities, he confirmed my leave date with my client without my prior consent meaning I was dismissed before the end of my notice period. To add insult to injury GT then tried to sue me for my last months' salary and even with clear evidence (emails!) where I said I didn't agree to the date they kept trying to pursue me for money they weren't owed. My partner went to work here and got signed off for stress because of how awful his PM was in another line of service so it is not an isolated incident. Avoid at ALL COSTS.

6. "GT associate audit"

Pros

Great culture and atmosphere. Focus on your learning and development. Numerous opportunities to pursue international placements or secondments to different departments around the firm

Cons

Lots of travel involved - some locations are better than others

Advice to Management

Nothing that springs to mind

7. "ok company"

Pros

Great training available to all staff

Cons

Long hours given client demands

Advice to Management

keep employees as happy as possible

8. "Account Analyst"

Pros

There are opportunities for professional development and if you show a good performance and dedication you will get promoted every two years approximately. The collaboration is one of the best aspects and colleagues are always approachable and supportive when needed.

Cons

The short time to complete the projects put a lot of pressure on the employees who must work sometimes from work as well. Also, overtime is not being paid, but therefore the bonuses are more than enough.

Advice to Management

Despite on the job training, there should be also some extra training or coaching. With such a high intense working environment acquiring knowledge, beforehand might be beneficial both for the company and the employees.

9. "Tax Executive"

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time

Pros

Help with studying and time off for exams. Ability to buy extra holiday.

Cons

Not much support and long working hours

10. "Mrs Anonymous"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Euston, England
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Euston, England

Pros

pretty relaxed environment to work for and the location of their offices are pretty nice. Other than that its your basic Accounting firm

Cons

Not the best place to work for as they try to limit your progress by tying you down to a three year contract to qualify with them and they do not compensate you all that well. Not that much of a budget for after work activities.

Advice to Management

Try to promote from within and not attract from outside the business. Management should also promote lower level of managemnt to progress without limiting their growth

11. "Great energy"

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time

Pros

The ethos of the firm is very inclusive of diversity and is definitely in a class of its own when compared to the top 4

Cons

The work load as an auditor can be overwhelming at the start and the balance between professional study and work can be a hard one to fine.

Advice to Management

keep supporting junior staff

Showing 1,287 of 1,412 reviews