Grant Thornton UK LLP Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 12 July 2017

Associate

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance encouraged (in 36 reviews)

• Flexible working hours (if you put the work in) (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work life balance can suffer due to long hours (in 21 reviews)

• Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4 (in 28 reviews)

1. "Advisory"

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people with a go and get it attitude

Cons

Sometimes work life balance can suffer due to long hours

"CAST - Belfast"

Current Employee - CAST Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Current Employee - CAST Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

City centre location. Free fruit.

Cons

Timed on how long it takes you to do tasks (complexity not taken into account)
    Wage - paid peanuts for doing the same level of work as an auditor.
    This is not an Admin role! You're better off working in Tesco for more money.

Advice to Management

Learn from the big companies and reward the staff with a fair wage and more bonuses. The odd bottle of cheap wine is an insult!

3. "Audit Associate"

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time

Pros

The people you work with are all nice and it was a pleasure to work with them

Cons

Short staffed- partners don't want to recruit, they would rather overwork people to save money
    No work/life balance once you get to in charging a lot of people work on weekends.
    There have been instances of people being off due to work related stress and depression caused by working crazy hours and too much pressure due to not having enough time and staff on each client

Advice to Management

Recruit!!!

5. "Overall good experience"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I met, especially my manager, were amazing!! The experience gained was also top notch.

Cons

Long hours were necessary at times when work needed to be done before agreed deadline with the client

6. "GT UK"

Former Employee - Associate in London, England
    Former Employee - Associate in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP (More than a year)

Pros

Good client mix, smart co-workers, upward mobility, flexible work schedule, and the opportunity to gain experience quickly.

Cons

Wages when compared to other firms and the lack of work-life balance (really depends on the team).

Advice to Management

Need to figure out how to keep the high performers. Increase salaries so that the cost benefit of working at GT is favorable when compared to other firms.

"Development and Training"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Manchester, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We get to study the ACA qualification and will be exam-qualified within two years (provided we pass our finals as expected). There is a great focus on people with flexible working and good communication with line managers. Internal training and development is focal with a strong support network and the ability to ask questions to the central technical team.

Cons

Generally under-staffed, much more pressure is put on everybody to complete work to deadlines. Pay is a tricky topic and in audit, as I'm sure is the case with many other firms, people don't feel as though their pay reflects the work they are performing when they can find much better pay in industry or other departments/firms.

8. "Good environment with good people"

Current Employee - Associate in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Associate in Leeds, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly people with a positive culture
    - Trying to do something a little different from other accountancy firms
    - Well run organisation
    - Moving towards a 'shared enterprise' model (like a light version of John Lewis' employee ownership)
    - Interesting CEO (Sacha Romanovitch) who has capped her own pay at a multiple of the lowest paid employee

Cons

- It's definitely a bit different from other big accountancy firms... but it's still a big accountancy firm with all the pros and cons that comes with.

9. "Good firm"

Current Employee - Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice firm, good support network, good work/life balance

Cons

Lack of responsibility given to juniors

10. "Good culture"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company are very good at looking after their people. They're also making good inroads into raising their profile which means in future they will be a more well-known and respected company to work for. There are a lot of opportunities for progression within the firm, with a wide variety of secondments available. The firm are more than generous when it comes to exams and supporting you through your studies.

Cons

It is not a part of the Big Four and I worry that it may hamper career progress moving forward. The work/life balance can be difficult to maintain, especially in busy season, but there is a policy in place to counter this (TOIL), meaning that, in theory, you are compensated with extra time off if you have worked overtime.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing to continue to grow the firm and gain recognition.

"Big 4 audit model without a Big 4 reputation"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, knowledgeable and approachable staff across all levels of the firm – I feel wholly confident approaching everyone to be treated with respect and patience. Some staff have been here for years but are still open to change and are very welcoming and willing to share their excellent knowledge of the sectors they work in.

Great office facilities in the North West. Well provisioned, attractive and with good ICT facilities.

Pay/benefits is only slightly below some larger competitors but the hours are significantly better. We’re contracted for 7.5 hours per day which, other than busy season, is broadly reflective of reality.

Good training provision and a fantastic culture which supports time out of the day job to attend sessions along with encouraging other things such as secondments to internal departments and external organisations.

Vibrant Economy appears to be a genuine effort by leadership to attract great clients and staff. It also has the potential to put in great foundations to grow the various business lines of the firm.

Almost all clients are good to work with. An internal push to exit difficult/unprofitable/unethical clients should hopefully remove some of the stress inducing jobs – I really hope this materialises.

Cons

No responsibility taken by individuals for difficult decisions such as what jobs we’re bidding for/withdrawing from/staff recruitment. Questions enter the ether and emerge from some kind of committee that is never explained (despite the question being asked). This black box model makes me wonder who is actually making decisions? Is it HR, individual partners, or central office?

Cost cutting over the last 12 months has resulted in some (not all) managers being very peculiar about approving expenses/TOIL. Eg not responding to requests and taking the time to google a mileage claim and asking why someone has gone a few miles above what google maps says. Is there so little trust/respect that people are trying to ‘earn’ an extra £3?! The idea that we should scrutinise our expenses as though it is our own money will be difficult to achieve when we have no incentive to do so. The Reward element of Shared Enterprise is obviously a joke – a pro-rated bonus after 3 years on all the superior profits above the already high targets – after taking out the 66% partner share.

Trainees are explicitly treated as disposable on a churn and burn basis. The Big 4 style exam policy results in good employees being frozen out of progression and effectively (and sometimes overtly) being forced out the organisation by a very vocal HR department. This appears to frustrate the audit department who have to go through long processes to retain staff during busy season etc who have received good performance ratings and feedback. Nobody seems sure as to why they’re so keen to fire people when the department, at times, struggles to recruit high calibre staff.

Performance reviews are based on expectation documents which are deliberately ambiguous/impossible to achieve in order to refuse promotions and keep payrises to a minimum in order to help prop up the department budgets. The reality that they’re clearly decided on more than this, including who you know, is a reality of big organisations but it’s embarrassing for the managers how obvious this is. Being ‘discouraged’ from discussing these decisions and pay furthers the lack of transparency around the (sometimes large) salary discrepancies between people at the same grade – eg removing the salary bandings from the intranet.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the impact of some existing HR policies on the firm’s longer term overall reputation.