Grant Thornton UK LLP Audit Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 June 2018

UK - All CitiesAudit Associate

4.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work-life balance encouraged" (in 43 reviews)

• "The flexible working that is being pushed is also very useful for fitting work around your life" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay feels slightly under market rate but you do get more opportunities and work life balance than competitors" (in 22 reviews)

• "Although the pay is slightly lower than the Big 4" (in 30 reviews)

1. "Great place to start your grad role"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, agile working really encouraged

Cons

Nothing! Absolutely love working at GT.

2. "Enjoyable and stimulating"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Ipswich, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Ipswich, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive environment from all of your colleagues. People understand what it’s like to be in your position as most were only a few years ago

Cons

Low-ish pay until qualifying, only a 2% company pension match until 2 years of service if you’re under 25 years old

3. "Skills setting for success. People focused?"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing training and experience in the field. Lots of opportunity to work on diverse clients and industry’s. Competitive salary, and opportunity to manage and take charge of projects quickly.

Cons

Hard work is required. Long hours is expected, and remunerated in forms of TOIL as long as requested.
    TOIL often challenged, therefore most don’t claim (opinion).

Advice to Management

Take care of your people, and the people will take care of the work. Leaders are required to lead, people will follow if there is a desire to, not if they have an obligation to.

4. "Audit associate"

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, varied clients and likeminded colleagues. Graduate programme is well structured and you complete the ACA.

Cons

Work can be repetitive, and often over or under challenging depending on the client. There is little consistency in approach in departments that should be fully cohesive.

Advice to Management

Improve the standardisation of approach, what's expected, and appraisal process. The first year was under-challenging, and didn't prepare well for demands of in charging teams.

5. "Audit Summer Internship"

Current Intern - Audit Associate in Manchester, England
    Current Intern - Audit Associate in Manchester, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, everyone is very friendly, social events to get involved with, given lots of responsibility as soon as you start.

Cons

Only downside would be there are time's I had no work to do.

6. "Audit Associate"

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time

Pros

The people you work with are all nice and it was a pleasure to work with them

Cons

Short staffed- partners don't want to recruit, they would rather overwork people to save money
    No work/life balance once you get to in charging a lot of people work on weekends.
    There have been instances of people being off due to work related stress and depression caused by working crazy hours and too much pressure due to not having enough time and staff on each client

Advice to Management

Recruit!!!

7. "Overall good experience"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in London, England

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I met, especially my manager, were amazing!! The experience gained was also top notch.

Cons

Long hours were necessary at times when work needed to be done before agreed deadline with the client

"Development and Training"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Manchester, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We get to study the ACA qualification and will be exam-qualified within two years (provided we pass our finals as expected). There is a great focus on people with flexible working and good communication with line managers. Internal training and development is focal with a strong support network and the ability to ask questions to the central technical team.

Cons

Generally under-staffed, much more pressure is put on everybody to complete work to deadlines. Pay is a tricky topic and in audit, as I'm sure is the case with many other firms, people don't feel as though their pay reflects the work they are performing when they can find much better pay in industry or other departments/firms.

"Big 4 audit model without a Big 4 reputation"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, knowledgeable and approachable staff across all levels of the firm – I feel wholly confident approaching everyone to be treated with respect and patience. Some staff have been here for years but are still open to change and are very welcoming and willing to share their excellent knowledge of the sectors they work in.

Great office facilities in the North West. Well provisioned, attractive and with good ICT facilities.

Pay/benefits is only slightly below some larger competitors but the hours are significantly better. We’re contracted for 7.5 hours per day which, other than busy season, is broadly reflective of reality.

Good training provision and a fantastic culture which supports time out of the day job to attend sessions along with encouraging other things such as secondments to internal departments and external organisations.

Vibrant Economy appears to be a genuine effort by leadership to attract great clients and staff. It also has the potential to put in great foundations to grow the various business lines of the firm.

Almost all clients are good to work with. An internal push to exit difficult/unprofitable/unethical clients should hopefully remove some of the stress inducing jobs – I really hope this materialises.

Cons

No responsibility taken by individuals for difficult decisions such as what jobs we’re bidding for/withdrawing from/staff recruitment. Questions enter the ether and emerge from some kind of committee that is never explained (despite the question being asked). This black box model makes me wonder who is actually making decisions? Is it HR, individual partners, or central office?

Cost cutting over the last 12 months has resulted in some (not all) managers being very peculiar about approving expenses/TOIL. Eg not responding to requests and taking the time to google a mileage claim and asking why someone has gone a few miles above what google maps says. Is there so little trust/respect that people are trying to ‘earn’ an extra £3?! The idea that we should scrutinise our expenses as though it is our own money will be difficult to achieve when we have no incentive to do so. The Reward element of Shared Enterprise is obviously a joke – a pro-rated bonus after 3 years on all the superior profits above the already high targets – after taking out the 66% partner share.

Trainees are explicitly treated as disposable on a churn and burn basis. The Big 4 style exam policy results in good employees being frozen out of progression and effectively (and sometimes overtly) being forced out the organisation by a very vocal HR department. This appears to frustrate the audit department who have to go through long processes to retain staff during busy season etc who have received good performance ratings and feedback. Nobody seems sure as to why they’re so keen to fire people when the department, at times, struggles to recruit high calibre staff.

Performance reviews are based on expectation documents which are deliberately ambiguous/impossible to achieve in order to refuse promotions and keep payrises to a minimum in order to help prop up the department budgets. The reality that they’re clearly decided on more than this, including who you know, is a reality of big organisations but it’s embarrassing for the managers how obvious this is. Being ‘discouraged’ from discussing these decisions and pay furthers the lack of transparency around the (sometimes large) salary discrepancies between people at the same grade – eg removing the salary bandings from the intranet.

Advice to Management

Evaluate the impact of some existing HR policies on the firm’s longer term overall reputation.

10. "Good culture"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company are very good at looking after their people. They're also making good inroads into raising their profile which means in future they will be a more well-known and respected company to work for. There are a lot of opportunities for progression within the firm, with a wide variety of secondments available. The firm are more than generous when it comes to exams and supporting you through your studies.

Cons

It is not a part of the Big Four and I worry that it may hamper career progress moving forward. The work/life balance can be difficult to maintain, especially in busy season, but there is a policy in place to counter this (TOIL), meaning that, in theory, you are compensated with extra time off if you have worked overtime.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing to continue to grow the firm and gain recognition.